1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It is because of her…for what I am today!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Malar2301, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Behind each and everyone’s success there will be a story. If not a story, there will be a kind hearted person whom would have contributed much to their current position and success. In my life too, I have a person without her, I’m nothing today. Just wanted to share, how one’s sacrifice paves way for the success of another person.

I’m the only daughter of my parents. That too very late born child; with all her prayers and begging, God gave my mom his blessing after 18 years of her marriage life (thavamirundhu Petra pillai!!!). Yes!! I was born!!! Though mine is a lower middle class family, my mother was a house wife until the day I born. I carried lot of expenses along with me, for which she has to go for work when I became three. Relatives advised her to put me in a government school, where she can spend less and save for my marriage. She is not convinced with what everyone told. Her strong feeling was education will help me stand on my own legs rather giving the savings as dowry. Hence she had placed me in a best school (St. Mary’s Convent) in my town. She went against everyone and earned lot of bad name. People use to back bite her with such rude words – “what respect is she giving for us, we told that much and despite she had put her in convent…”, “why her daughter will study in convent only ah…our kids didn’t study good in government school ah…”, “what she is telling is literally lie, if she doesn’t have money how come she has put her in a rich school…” – all these words came from my relatives and people around us.

The truth behind everything was she almost sacrificed her food and her expenses to give me good education. She used to walk a long distance morning and evening, thinking that she could save the money that she spends for bus for my study. Two types of rice she cooked; good one for me alone and the provisions got from government ration shop for her and my dad. There were instances where I used to stand outside my classroom for not paying the fees on time. All those times she worked extra time and over weekend to pay my fees. I completed my 10th standard, again my beloved people around wanted her to send me for a job. Mine is neither village nor a city, it is a town. For 10th standard I would get a job in the textile showroom or jewelry shop. My mom’s dream was not that and so she asked me to continue my higher studies. She worked and worked and worked and almost sacrificed her life till I completed my degree. As I was a late born already and by the time I completed my degree, she has lost all her hope and no strength she had to work more.

As God’s gift for her sacrifice, I got a job in IT industry in a MNC as soon as I completed my degree. Though my initial salary was less, I did my PG degree on the job. Meantime her health became worse. Again everyone came to her and advised her to get me married. I convinced her not to hurry. But she can’t bear what everyone told – “she want to keep her daughter with herself so that she need not struggle for food and money” – these words killed her and she made me to accept for marriage. Only after marriage I completed my PG degree and then my salary had a good increase.

Today, she is not with me but I earn a very good salary. For her even 10 rupees is a big amount she struggled hard to get that and today I get in thousands but of no use. She sacrificed her everything, but what did I do in return??? Nothing!!!

She is one behind me for all my success and good position for I’m today. But she lived the same way from her initial days and till the time of her departure from this world. If she would have accepted what my relatives told, I would be somewhere living a normal life or may be struggled like my mother to save my family. She didn’t save a single rupee but what she gave me is the education. Education alone is enough for me to stand in my own legs. She realized that long back and gave me life.

Though she is not alive still I take this opportunity to thank her believing that she will definitely hear me - “Mom, it is because of you, I’m shining today. Without your sacrifice and effort, I’m nothing!!! Thanks mom – You gave me life. You are great and for me you are my God”. She used to tell me always “when you come to better position, please help the poor children for their education…that will lit a lamp in their life”. Its 100% true, if we help children in getting their education, it is like we are showing the way for their life better. She not only gave a good life but also cultivated good thoughts and values in me.

I’m feeling relaxed for I have shared something today that was sitting in my heart for a long time.

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Very very touching post Malar. I don't have words to express my emotions now. There is a saying like, since God can't come to each one of us, He sent a Mom. How true isn't it? Once again, a very nice post Malar :)

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi malar,

i was very touched reading your snippet. It would have been so nice if she had seen you in your present position. But i guess that was not meant to be. anyway do carry on her wish of helping some poor student finish her studies. you will surely feel better then.:)

4. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

thanks ice...you always stay as my inspiration for writing more...!!

5. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

True!! I'm doing it...Thanks for your fb.

6. laddubala

laddubala Gold IL'ite

There is a saying “No gift to your mother can ever equal her gift to you - life”

I m touched by your post Malar. No one can know better than our mother.
    I m impressed by your mother's actions where she spent her whole life for you..you and only you. Touching post Malar :):):)

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear malar,

wherever she is, she must be watching and feeling very proud of you. she will always be your guardian angel.

8. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Jaya. Your words are so soothing...And I'm gifted to have her!!!

9. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Very touching post Malar.
    Your mom is a wonderful person.

10. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Malar,
    Very touching one..

Most of the times I feel that, whatever our parents gave to us can be returned back only to our kids. Similarly what we do to our kids can only be given to their kids.