1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'E' grade - what is it anyways?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Now this is again one of those little big incidences that makes our days beautiful, and make lovely memories to reminicise, to tell our children when they are older.......

My DS is precocious, even if I say so :) and keeps us on our toes and we as parents, like other parents try to do our best for him. All these years academically he was not being graded in the school system. This year of course the reports are posted online and we promptly get reminders. So for this quarter when I saw a E in the midst of A and A+, and that too in physical Education it did throw me off! Don't get me wrong, but he is just not a physical child unless there is some science or math or creative thinking involved in the games! I have had to bring him home from soccer and other games because he has complained of a head ache/ stomach ache in the middle of sessions. So this grade concerned me a bit as I did not understand what it stood for and of course given the back ground of sports interest, assumed the worst. So very promptly sent an email to the class room teacher who very sincerly explained that it is best for me to speak with that particular teacher and does not infact know what E stands for!! Gone are the days I guess when the class teacher knew everything about us even though she was there for one period. His class room teacher is his home room teacher which means, she is with him for good 4hrs a day! She is fantastic and I do appreciate her telling me I can tell you about my subjects but not about others that I do not handle.

So the next probable step was to write to the PE teacher who was puzzled that a parent has requested a meeting which very clearly is not the norm and casually added that if it is about the grade DS has received, then it was the best he could give, which perplexed me to no end and in a way confirmed my worst fears. Any genius knows A B C D and F for grades but what the heck is this 'E'. Is it the best he could give because he cannot fail such a young child. Bigger, wilder, crazier thoughts were going on in my mind - what if this is going to be an issue as he grows? Will sports affect his overall personality, will his confidence level drop down because he didnot a get a B or atleast a C, forget an A. What should be my future action be? Of course sports are important and how can I teach my DS all thes things, etc etc. And add to that was the fact that my DS indeed tells that he is glad there was no gym or that he didnot understand a particular game because we have never played that and such stories. I was mentally thoroughly prepared, well dressed and arrived dot on time and meaning business, willing to seek help to help my DS fit in! I was a mom on a mission!

The teacher warmly received me, heard for a couple of minutes about what activities my DS is doing other than academics and took out a file and started something like "I don't know what else you want him to do. Of all the four tests I have given him, he has scored excellent except in the mile run which was satisfactory". Yes, I heard the word "excellent" too and very sheepishly asked him if "E" meant excellent and he very sincerly explained of course for sports and arts we are supposed to grade either an E or S - yes, excellent or satisfactory!! I sank back in my chair, started laughing and by then the teacher had understood my intention of the meeting and joined in the laughter and for my part, I sincerly thanked him for allwoing me to talk and for being so gracious and wound up the meeting, feeling very foolish indeed!

These parents I tell you, nothing is 'good enough' for them and thoughts can indeed be wild horses!! If only, I trusted my child and his capabilities more!!....Well I wouldn't have had this experience I guess.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    5 people like this.

2. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

:biglaugh:biglaughGood one

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

that was a good one, sabitha. :rotfl

4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

"E" grade to your post Srama :rotfl

5. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha,good post indeed...so now u know the meaning of 'E' grade....:)

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you soumya and satchi....

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And I respect your assessment and grade and appreciate it - very nice reply :0

Yes, indeed I do and when I asked a couple of friends, they claimed that they have never bothered to check up thier kids' grade for sports...as long as they are doing ok in academics I believe!! Thanks Prana

8. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hee hee Sabitha...So even I now know what E grade stands for .

Congrats to my little friend on getting that grade :-D

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thanks Saras and will tell DS!! You should see the picture he paints about how badly he does in PE....no wonder I had to run through all those emotions. He is like that little chicken crying 'the sky is falling' when something doesnot come to him easily!!

10. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dearest Sabitha,

You have started off 2011 with a BIG BANG I must admit.I always loved your writing in English Matters and wondered why you are not a regular in snippets.:?:

Thankfully my wish has come true and we get to read such amusing and thoughtful posts now.

To say that I simply loved reading it and enjoyed it would be a disgrace to your writing.Perhaps not many see what I see in your posts but you have a beautiful heart with an expressive mind.What other lethal duo is desired in a writer ? I had to scratch my brain really hard to figure out the mystery of the E grade and when finally you let the cat out, I was :biglaugh.I cannot help myself giving an 'E' to this post but E is not just excellent; it is exemplary , extraordinary and exquisite :thumbsup

I have nominated your post as finest narration for this month.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011