1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

life is beautiful.........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aminroop, Jan 19, 2011.

1. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

I’m turning a year older in a week’s time.

And, Life’s been very beautiful so far…with some absolutely spectacular moments and some absolutely miserable ones!

Here’s is the break-up.

I do not remember much from my early childhood days, except of course through the very many photos that my doting parents took of me. I’m told I was a happy child , not fussy and rather cute ( if I may say so myself!) and extremely friendly kid. When I was asked what I wanted to become, itseems I would reply with utmost conviction ‘paanwaala’. I was fascinated by these red-lip stained men. I mimicked their actions with my imaginary betel leaves, tobacco and supari, feeding my airy paans to everyone who visited our home while my proud parents looked on. I occupied myself playing ‘office – office’ and when I was bored of the administrative work, I took up ‘creative professions’ like practicing my ‘art’ on walls, floors etc…

School life was brilliant as far as I can remember. I was one of those all-rounder sorts, above average in academics, athletics and almost every extra-curricular activity. I was popular too. Until the 8th std, we were sheltered from the charms of the opposite sex. Then of course, hormones and the Internet kicked in and that protected little all-girl world of ours crumbled with the entry of the male species. But we restricted ourselves to schoolgirl gossip and giggles over boys we saw from a safe distance. Anything beyond would be scandalous. Sigh, how things change!

Come teenage, and I was a drama-queen! Clanging and banging doors and window in anger, lying by the shoe rack in guilt, going in hiding; yelling, sobbing, whining…I thought myself a tempestuous creature whose life was destined to be as dramatic as an opera.

But then there were the fun parts – the metamorphosis from shy, gawky, boyish teen to the long-haired, tweezed-eyebrow teenager. And then there were the boys! Puppy love, Lip gloss, eye contact, canteen breaks, hours in the green room before the mirror, clandestine notes in class, dates, clubs, dancing, a boyfriend, clothes, deadlines….it was all a cohesive blur of exciting new things, new people, new experiences. There was never any analysis of action or thought. Just do it. Feel it. Show it. Speak it. Young, naïve, melodramatic, eager and so often thoughtless, literally – those were the blunder wonder years!

Come adulthood, and now I have to deal with it. Yes, I’m talking about that 14-letter word that fills every newly inducted adult with a sense of excruciating dread – responsibility. It’s overwhelming to think of all things I’m responsible for – my career, my money, my parents, my marriage, my future, my life, myself. Well, this part has just begun, so I will leave it at this……

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aminroop

Advance Birthday wishes. Glad to know that you had a very nice and enjoyable journey from childhood to adulthood. Wish you all the best in the future and hope all your dreams are fulfilled

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Although your post and choice of words is fine, Poornima, I disagree with the responsibility aspect. Once you live alone/get married it is true you are responsible for a lot more things, but had you not been a responsible person in school, you would not be in the position you are in today.

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I think your life has been really beautiful having gone through so many little pleasures on the way. With responsibility comes power. I am sure you will be fine with it. Many advance birthday wishes to you.

5. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Enjoyed reading your transformation from childhood to adulthood :)

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

hi poornima,

very nice write-up. wishing you a very happy b'day.:)

7. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Poornima,good write up ya....hmmm adhu oru kanakalam......:)

8. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Glad to know about you Poorni.
    Advance Birthday wishes.

9. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot for your wishes!:)

10. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

point noted! thanks for the fb!:)