1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Me and Ghosts...!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iswaryadevi, Jan 8, 2011.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

I do NOT believe in ghosts. As a matter of fact, I do not believe in anything that does not have a scientific explanation. But of course, that does not include God. My relationship with Him is entirely different. Let us save it for a different blog. Coming back to the point, what am I going to say if I don't believe in ghosts? Read on to know.

I have tried all kind of weird stuff, just to check if ghosts exist. In one Tamil movie, they showed that if we say Poochi (insect in Tamil) thrice before a mirror, ghost will appear in front of us. I tried it once (with the doors opened, just in case), but only found my face staring back at me :crazy. One of my friends said that if you go to the backyard alone in the night, ghosts will pat your back (as if they dont have better work to do). I tried it once, only to find a snake crawl and I never repeated it :hide:. Sometimes after watching some horror movie alone late in the night, I would shout like 'If you really exist come NOW'. But no, they never came. Sometimes I wonder, I have been writing many horror stories, one day or the other if one of the ghosts appear before me and ask the obvious question "Why are you so interested in me?", what answer should I give? It is time I should get ready with one :biglaugh

My dad and mom are stanch believers in ghosts, but each in their own way. My dad is highly creative and the best story teller I have ever come across. (You will notice it, if you see the way he handles his customers :biglaugh). In my younger days, his favorite pass time would be to take me to a room, turn off all the lights, and tell me his imaginative ghost stories, the sole purpose being to make me believe them. But poor him, I listen to him till the end (his story telling is just excellent that I will forget to blink my eye) and then shrug of saying he is lying. He also believes that they take various forms like muni, kaathu, karuppu, aavi (Sorry, I am not even sure if all these have respective English words) and insists they all are different. I have never even bothered to ask him the differences.

Once, it was the time when there was a Tamil serial thriller called Vidaadhu Karuppu rocking entire TN. In that serial, there used to me a man who rides a horse carrying a sickle and kills anyone who does not abide by the rules in the village. He is believed to be an avatar by the villagers. So one day, after watching it, I went to the loo. I turned on all the lights on the way from my bed room to the rest room (I was a lil scared then). After coming out, Oh My God, that sight is one that I can never ever forget in my life. All the lights had been turned off. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a figure carrying a sickle standing right outside the door :shaking:Can you imagine my shock? And the next minute the figure burst out laughing, revealing to be none other than my dad. And then he asked me "So now do you believe in ghosts?" :spin :bonk

Though my dad talks a lot about ghosts, he is not scared of them. But my mom believes and also is scared of them. Whenever my dad goes out of station, she will call me to sleep with her (as if I am some exorcist) . She believes that if either me or my dad is with her, no ghost will come near her. For the past few times, I have been training her to sleep alone (what if I get married). So now, she has overcome that fear to an extent. But she never comes upstairs to my room in the night. The staircase does not have light, and she is scared that some ghost might catch hold of her if she comes that way. As if the same ghost cannot come down to catch her :rant

But there was one day when I really believed that finally a ghost has decided to give me Darshan. I was sleeping in my room. Suddenly the calling bell rang in my room. I checked the time, it was 12:30 am. I got immediately tensed. I thought may be some one is ill. I ran out of my room. But the house was as calm as ever. I wondered if I dreamed. But no, I knew it was real. I went back and dozed off. But the bell went off again at 2:30 am. Now this really scared the s*** out of me. But then I thought why a ghost should ring the calling bell. I mean, it could just come in my room right. But I was not sure. I spent the entire night apologizing to the invisible ghost saying how sorry I was that I did not believe in ghosts :shaking:

But the next day, the secret was revealed. The battery had dried out, and the bell went off on its own accord :bang

SCSusila, peddadas, sathyaK and 4 others like this.

2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

But of course, that does not include God. My relationship with Him is entirely different:biglaughHo Ice I liked the disclaimer:rotfl

Ok coming to your post Im really scared to hear the very name Ghost I dont know why I dont dare to think abt him/her or it whatever:rotflbut if you read my old post Freeze you can guess I have few reasons to be frightened...:hide:

Your attempt to believe ghost is quiet interesting & its sad it turned futile.Hope this year you can see some of them.All the best.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    sindmani likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

hi ishwarya,

could it be just possible that the ghosts believe in you and don't want to try their luck???!!!:tongue:tongue:tongue:hide:

sindmani and snivi84 like this.
  4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ice,

I too don't beleive in Ghosts and till now it has not dared to give its darshan but MIL is a staunch beleiver so are my DH & his sisters. Sometimes they try their best to influence me...but sheer bad luck I am made of more sterner stuff.

Our room is little isolated from the living room and other rooms and my DH's sisters never enter or sleep alone. Infact they do not sleep alone at all.

Good one Ice.....iam enjoying each & every narration of yours.

5. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Ice,
    when we ourselves are true ghosts how can an actual ghost come. This ghost theory may be similar to those unknown men - a hidden mystery. there is definately a science behind it but we are not able to understand or interpret them.

Yes dear after net browsing I was able to get apdf book on 9 unknown men. My isster is interested on all these things. I will have to take a print out and then I shall give my fb.

Thanks for this lovely write up - finally your appa did scare you :biglaugh:biglaugh

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi iswarya,

i too dont believe in ghosts but LOVE hearing their stories.:) to me they are more fun than scary. if you have seen the English movie "Ghost "you will really like them and then there is casper the friendly ghost.

1 person likes this.
  7. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Had a good laugh, Ice. Have u tried the planchette?

8. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Ice i like the final twist..:biglaughnice one..:thumbsup

9. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Ice, such a nice post. loved the way how your dad tried to convince you about ghosts.

I am with you in not believing category. But still you know i feel scared only certain times to go upstairs and to put on the light, donno why? Depends on our mind actually.

10. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ice,

:rotfl:rotfl:rotflYou apologised to the ghost in the end :biglaugh.
    In my school days, once when I read a autobiography of a famous personality..I saw that so-so was the ghostwriter of the book. I looked up for the meaning of the word "ghostwriter" and still wonder why such a term.

Since your Dad narrates story well and you write so well, now I beleive, you should be the ghostwriter for the ghost tales told by your Dad :biggrin2:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011