1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am amazed by you ma!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

After coming back from my vacation, I keep thinking more about my mom.

Today as I was sitting in my workplace, obviously not working, I called back the funny memories I had when I lived with my mom back in home.

When we first had mobile phone in home, I explained her basic things like how to place/attend/disconnect a call. Few days later, I was in Nokia dealer shop, called her and explained the features of the phone that I was going to buy her. She stopped me after I said the 2nd or 3rd feature, she questioned "Just tell me does that phone has green button and red button?". She is right, that's all she was going to use. But now, she sends text messages and in modern English, you know, "Whr r u?", "Cal", "S", "Y?", "r u dr?", "Luk Tick Kumb Comb". By the way the last message should be interpreted as "Look for train tickets availability from Kumbakonam to Coimbatore". :) Every time I finish talking with her, she sends a message with the action point so that I won't forget. Not even once did her abbreviation failed to bring smile in my face.

This is the most interesting one. I laugh even now when I think of the times when my kid brother and I taught her how to use computer. We asked her to sit in the chair and we both stood either side of her. I pointed a folder on the desktop and showed her how to click it to open it. She was confused how did I click. So I pointed out the arrow pointer and how the arrow pointer moves as the mouse is moved. Then, I asked her to try once herself. She carefully held the mouse at the end with thumb and index finger and keenly watched her hand on mouse instead of looking the computer. She moved the mouse very slowly, and as she is not looking the monitor, she questioned for every millimeter movement, "Am I there yet? ... Should I go even far?". Me and my brother completely lost track of what we are actually doing, started giving instructions, "Left... Bit right... then turn left slowly... Not this fast...!! slowly...". She followed our commands religiously and reached the folder. Double clicking was whole other story. We three had such good laugh on that day. But then she learned very fast and was playing Solitaire, Freecell and other MS games when she gets some time out of the kitchen.

My brother then once found list of mouse cursors and set up one animated cursor that looks like banana that peels itself and some invisible bites... as the default mouse cursor. My mom told as she saw the cursor, "It looks like the computer is haunted!!". :)

When I taught her how to use the internet, she was so surprised on how much she can do in web. She even complained how she wasted her whole life in cooking, washing vessels and not learning anything. She didn't want to waste her time anymore. The whole time when I was there, she finished her house chores as fast as she can, and came to the computer desk, with peak interest she browsed the web, cleared her doubts then and there. Now she can book train tickets and do all basic operations in web… I was amazed by her ability to learn things fast and her confidence.

Believe it or not; When I held her hand to teach her how to move the mouse, I am sure she felt the same vibe when she held my hands to teach me how to write 'அ', 'ஆ' ... Because I felt that myself...

14 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulips

How are you? How was your holiday. You are right when you are young mom teaches you and when you grow old you teach your mom. When mom gets old she becomes a child. Glad to know that your mom has learnt computer and using of mobile.

Reading your post reminded me of my children how they taught me to use computer and mobile. Till 2007 I also did not know how to use mobile , after that only I learnt to use mobile and now I cant do without mobile. Computer I had already learnt in the office but about yahoo msngr etc. my children taught me. Now it is very useful because I am able to chat with them.

Good post as always

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Veryn touching and well-written post,Tulips. The last line was too good. Nice teacher and a nicer student!

4. hobbes83

hobbes83 Bronze IL'ite

Luk tick kumb comb! Lol.. That's amazing.. :)

5. saktips

saktips Gold IL'ite

Hi ILovetulips,
    Hope you had a nice vacation. :)
    Nice to read your snippets after some time. The sms"Luk Tick Kumb Comb" is really hilarious. Thats really lovely she has learnt to test message in short span of time.It is really a wonderful feeling to teach Mothers, who happened to teach us patiently with lots of care isn't it.

The above lines reminded me of my mother. She also asks the same question when I get her new mobile. When I went there recently, I taught her to text message, but she is not interested in it. She just knows to call and answer.
    Loved your write up. Bye.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello ILT,

It has been some time since I read a post of your's. You have made a great start this new year reminiscing about your mom. It was a refreshing read and touches a chord in all of us who got introduced to this modern day wonder gadget, the computer.

The way you and your brother introduced your mom to the intricacies of the computer is just too poignant and sweet. The way you ended the post was just too cute. Surely your a aa learning was similar to the mouse tracking of your mother, both in the shared effort and love.

Refreshed my own memories of how I learnt to deal with my own computer. It is now a part and parcel of my life.

L, Kamla

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

WOW....what am amazing feeling. :thumbsup
    Very nice write up about your mom. I really enjoyed reading it. I know for my mom (at age 76) to move fast with the technology today is challenging. She always talks about the simpler times and how much fun it was.

Thanks for sharing!!
    Oopall.

8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Yeah Tulip,nice writeup...welcome back....:)

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Reminds me of how I learnt to use the computer and how I first started using the cell phone,I used to send message to my son and when I came from college he used say there was hardly any message received from you but now I think I have mastered these tech savy gadgets,,,,,,:):):)

10. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Tulip,
    After reading your post I should say same pinch:).U took me to the times when I & brother used to teach my mom comp& internet,cell phone.She was much amazed knowing abt internet & the knowledge she could gain.Very sweet & touching post dear.esp the last line:thumbsup