1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Take a Bribe and Get a Bride

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Marriages, they say are made in heaven. And for years people tried to live up to this saying by matching horoscopes of the bride and the groom to find that none of the heavenly bodies disapprove of the match. If Mars or Saturn is in the wrong house of the boy or girl even if they don’t actually own a house, off went the marriage.

While castes and horoscopes and the economic standards were the main criteria for pairing couples for years, nowadays a new yardstick has come into picture. Apart from horoscope tey also check the suitor's palms to see how well greased it is. Is the groom a government servant and does he take bribes?

No, the issue here is not the groom’s probity but rather the lack of it. According to a report in a recent issue of Mail Today bureaucrat grooms with clean hands stand a very slim r chance of finding a bride.in Uttar Pradesh. Parents who want to marry off their daughters there prefer grooms who get their palms well greased than the one with dry, empty palms.

Man does not live by salary alone, they argue. With onion prices skyrocketing, you can’t afford four square or round meals on your salary for yourself let alone feed your family. So greasier the palms, the better. The ad copy on this would read : Bribe milega to bride milegi.

So what would a babu who doesn’t have the heart to take bribes do. He would probably bribe the matchmakers to con the girl’s family into believing that he is a very eligible bribe taker.. It is bribe either this way or that way.

.And what happens when the cat is out of the bag after marriage? The angry wife would probably sue hubby dearest for divorce. So here are the proceedings of a divorce trial.

AW (Short for angry wife):: I don’t want to live with this cheat any more!

Judge: Why? did he do a Tiger Woods on you by having a girlfriend?

AW:Girlfriend? Hah! On his salary he can’t even maintain his wife! He conned my family into believing that he gets a fat under-the-table income. That turned out to be a -goddamn lie! He is too honest!

Judge: That’s confusing. If he is honest how can he be a liar.

AW:He is an honest liar.

Judge: That sounds like an oxymoron.

AW: No, he is a plain moron ignorant of the fine art of bribetaking.

Judge to HH (Hapless Husband not His Majesty): So what do you have to say in your defense?

HH: I can only say honesty is the best policy.

Judge (Sarcastically) Really? Then why did you lie to your prospective in-laws that your palms were well greased/

HH: Otherwise I ran the risk of remaining a bachelor all my life. A little lie for the cause of honesty is not a lie at all

Judge ( to AW): What kind of parents do you have? They did not even bother to check the prospective groom’s reputation before giving you away in marriage. Before getting my daughter married off, I hired a detective to check the assets disproportionate to known sources of income of the suitor and only when I found they were considerable did I consent to the marriage. Still my sympathies go with you.. I hereby grant you divorce and order police to book your husband for breach of trust. Meanwhile you and your lawyer meet me in my chamber, to finalise details of my payment.

Granted there are many hapless husbands like this who may want to take under-the-table payments but lack the finesse or guts for it., For their benefits grooming schools can be set up to train them not only to survive but to thrive in this big, bad corrupt world. Even an Institute of Bribe Management wouldn't be a bad idea.

Why only that? Like we have caste based matrimonial services, there could be bribe-based ones too. How about highbribegrooms.com or shaadigreasedpalms.com?

Newspaper matrimonial ads would run: “Wanted grooms for a fair, educated domestically trained girl. Only government servants e with assets disproportionate to known sources of income need apply”.

And the next stage could be that getting involved in scams would become a status symbol.. Scam tainted families would be more in demand at the marriage market and their members would be feted at social dos. And that could inspire the setting up of another marriage website: Ghotalashaadi .com. Clean reputations would be no reputations at all. .

That would serve such people right. Haven’t they heard the saying When in Rome do as Romans do? When in the big bad world try to be the biggest baddest bribe taker.

So wish you all a happy New Year folks and if you are a babu, may you have the greasiest palms of them all..

. …..

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Very funny, but I believe it happens. Cos tof living is up and everyone wants to be like Bollywood movie family. One of friend's servant maid had an engagement party for her daughter. The bridegroom has a job in Govt. The boy's side wanted a very fancy engagement party. My friend was ready to help them to make food at her house and pay for the rice etc. The maid refused her help. They wanted only catering because of the groom's status. He makes big money in his job. His job was a Peon. Yes, he can afford onion price.

Happy New Year!!!!!!

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely hilarious. Especially I loved the court scene. But yes, it is the truth and it hits hard on the face...

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Coffee lover even servants like to keep up with the Joneses. A peon BTW is a very important functionary in a govt office. He is the one who has to be appeased before he gives you access to his lord and master. He is his factotum. Have you heard this joke? A tiger from the forest entered a govt. office and hid itself under the large number of files. It went on eating bureaucrat after bureaucrat but no one noticed. But the tiger was caught when it made a crucial mistake. It ate a peon and he was missed immediately! Search for him led to the tiger's den among the labyrinth of folders.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Happy New Year Balaji,

Looks like the year will be turning new leaf on the matrimonial pages of our daily papers! What innovative suggestions! Actually, this should have happened ages ago and solved problmes the likes of me have faced.
    All those years ago, arriving at Bombay airport, it was a tall order to get through the custom gates. The custom officers needed to be appeased and poor me did not carry any of those much wanted ( by those at the customs) whiskey bottles. I had to wait longer at the line till they searched my bags thoroughly and made me pay for for the chocolates and hair dryers I carried for the family. I also remember quite clearly how as a teenager, I was both shocked and surprised when the neighbourhood aunty told my mom very proudly that her daughter is going to marry this babu (!!) who earned four times more than his pay, under the table! Sure enough, I saw my friend Uma driving around in a car with her hubby, a small time govt. clerk!!

Though very funny, the post made me sad.

L Kamla

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

A very happy New year to you too, Balajee.

hahah Good one :biglaugh so this world is no place for a honest man ? too bad ! he will have no money, no respect, no wife....:bonk

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

ROFL, Balajee uncle. Too good. Can you please get it published somewhere as well?

Of course, what you have said is the reality for the majority, but there also exists a honest minority having a good life and most importantly, peace of mind.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    superb as usual and hilarious, and true to a certain extent.
    do u know in the olden days, there were different parameters for marriage.
    A marwari who had gone bankrupt, was an ideal choice for groom, and themore times he went bankrupt, the more in deman he was, for the girls side assumed that he has ammassed the market moolah somewhere.
    and then i heard some people manuplulated income tax raids just before their daughters marriage, so that people would think thjey are worthy o f a raid, so must be having lots of money, irrespective of how modeltly they lived.HAHA
    and now this palm greasing eh ! HAHA
    Regards
    kamal

9. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

very nice post, Mr. Balajee.

I liked the court scene and also the idea of bribe management.:rotfl

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Iswariy tks. The truth is girls' families care more about the wealth of the groom's side than how it was acquired. That is the tragedy.