1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Christmas present.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

A close friend of mine is out of town for two weeks and has left her live-in maid with me. Now I have never, ever been used to that luxury, although the one I had in Bangalore came closest, as she cut the veggies and made rotis. And, having been here for almost ten years now, I have almost forgotten that pampering. Besides I am quite happy with my present part timer and did not want to upset her routine. But she is too sweet, my friend, and I just could not refuse her. So that was how Mila walked into our lives, a 38 year old Filipino with an 8 year old daughter back home and a hubby who had deserted her long ago.

She seemed very talkative and quite happy to come with two fully packed suitcases and three bags to our house. Even though I had made place for her in my study I had no idea where she would put her things. Anyway, I gave her two shelves and was instantly surprised at the bottles of lotions, crèmes and shampoos she neatly laid out. I set about making dinner and she immediately came, offering to help me cut the veggies. And she totally won me over when she meticulously washed her hands after scrubbing the sink clean.

Yesterday I invited my Chinese neighbours, an elderly couple, for Masala Dosa and after the first one or two she insisted that I sit with the guests while she made us all yummy perfectly roasted dosais. Though I had done the cooking myself, ohhh what a boon it is when someone clears up at 11 pm. In the morning she is up by 6 and totally fits into a iyer veedu. And the wonder of wonders, she comes to the kitchen only after her shower…never mind the fact that the iyer veetu ponnu (or Maami ,if you please) is still in her nightdress till 10.

This morning around 7.30 I got lazily out of bed, and when I wandered out was greeted by a smiling ‘good morning ma’am’ and a hot cuppa tea (a little watery for my taste but shut up M I told myself). She had already made string hoppers (I told you my friend is sweet...she is Srilankan and had sent the flour and the implements along with her maid) that we had with yesterday’s left over sambhar.

Now, I am really crazy; I’m one of those people who just can’t sit doing nothing. ‘Mornings must not be wasted’ is the dictum I follow, so I kept walking in and out of rooms, just not knowing what to do. My dh enjoyed my discomfiture and urged me to sit down in one place and read the paper (which he can do the whole day, of course) “kutti potta poonai maadhiri nadakkaadhe, oru edathila okkaru

Oh No, not me! I sat at my PC and thought of trying out something new for lunch. HA! Chithvish’s Mexican rice has been on my list for a long time now so I had her chop out the veggies for that and a raitha. While she went about cleaning the house I prepared lunch. After which we went for our weekly shopping of groceries and veggies. She had the house keys, the shopping bags and even my shoes all readily laid out for me. I had to just get out, singing oooo la la la.

(Hmmmm so this is what it feels like to be Bertie Wooster, I thought as I walked out with my Jeeves.)

She chose the veggies planning what she will cook next week. I was so pleased that I said she could go away to her cousin’s place after lunch itself. 5 pm on Saturday to 5 pm Sunday was her weekly off, the time she is supposed to strictly adhere to as instructed by my friend, but I was going to be lenient. I had also decided that she could chat daily with her daughter for half hour on my pc which she usually did from an internet café on her day off. After all, don’t I, of all people, know how much she must be missing her child and that too in her circumstances???? Her happy smile was my reward.

Friends, I am sorry if I inflicted upon you yet another maid story but isn’t she an ideal Christmas Gift? it feels like a long stretched out Spa treatment. So do cash in on this open invitation for lunch or dinner any day. BUT remember, the invitation is open for another two weeks only!:wink:

sindmani likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Mindi

Before reading I thought your daughter has sent you a christmas present. Ya Mindi thats a nice christmas present given by your friend, so sweet of her. Glad that your christmas present is very helpful to you. Hope I also had someone as now a days I am feeling very tired and feel hope someone cooks for me. I am just taking the next flight and coming there to enjoy with you. ok va

Today I am really feeling very tired as I had gone for Rudram in the morning and by the time we had lunch it was already 2.30p.m.. Since the payasam was very tasty I had two cups and Ithink that has made me very tired. Usually I log in at 5 or 5.30 and I am in the net till 11.30 pm chatting with my daughters as they come late but today felt very very tired so again went and took rest for an hour and so happy to see your post and glad that I could give the first fb.

sorry for the long post. I wanted to share my tiredness with someone and your post made me do so.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindian....Xmas gifts are always a pleasant surprise...and that too when you could never imagine something like this...You are lucky !! We too have part time helpers here but only Males...As long as I was in India I had the luxury but now am comfortable doing the work all by myself !! Sometimes I do wish if I could get someone like mila to greet me with a smile and a cup of coffee in her hand....

4. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Vijima I think you need to rest a little more you have been so busy since morning...take care ma!!

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,
    La la la – say that you envy me – I have the luxury of a live-in maid!!
    Living in our own country (unlike you – NRIs!), I enjoy that privilege!
    BUT,
    it is a pain as much as it is a luxury!
    Pleasure
    When you can leave the kitchen after dinner – the dosa batter, tava are all removed from the kitchen counter and all that you have to do is entering a clean kitchen the next morning!!
    There is always somebody around to run to the nearest grocery or vegetable shop for an emergency.
    The list goes on…

But, the pain is
    When she is on her mobile for a l—o—n—g time & if I call her for some urgent work, with mobile on one hand, she signals to me with the other hand, saying, (as if) – Can’t you see me talking? Don’t disturb!! That irritates me, is an under statement!
    There is nothing in the name of privacy! She knows exactly who my friends are, the nature of relationship I share with my in-laws etc………
    The worst days are, when she pulls a “long face” – this is a regular feature! She makes me feel obliged, honestly! The intervals between our cold war days are decreasing & it is proof that familiarity breeds contempt!

But growing old that I am,having had a major surgery recently, I know very clearly that I am dependent on her more than she is, on me!!
    Being trained by me, she can get another job+plush salary.
    I have no patience to train another one all over again!
    So, now a days,
    Patience, thy name is Chithra!!

Love,
    C

6. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Mindi,
    Of course, it is a great and nice gift for Christmas and New Year. Enjoy completely for the next two weeks. Filipino making perfect Dosai!!! Oh great. Why don't you ask her to try Ragi Dosai, Mindi !!!!! If it comes out well I will be satisfied and you know why?
    Love,
    Meenakshi

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,
    You are a good girl isn't it..that's why you got a rewarding Christmas present....eventhough it is for 2 weeks..:thumbsup
    I think 'present' too enjoys her Christmas present with the privileges you had showered on her..

sriniketan

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Enjoy while you can, Mindi and as Chitra mam has said they are boon as well as bane and you are lucky to have her for a short while ...........very nice of your friend.

Viji mam take care of yourself and do not exert too much.
    Shanta

9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Shuba and Shanta

Thank you for your love and concern. Feeling better now after taking rest and after getting your loving messages.

10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear mindi,

Vow what a super present u got. Enjoy till two weeks. I know Filipino maid r better and they learn fast. Iused to have part ti e Filipino maid, when I was In sgpr.

Hope u don't miss her, when she is gone. U know beget used to things very fast :)