1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nano Generosity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ambika04, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    I was constantly checking the features of a latest slim & sleek touch screen model cell phone which is 1 day old. My colleague wanted to sell it as his nephew got him another one. My eyes opened wide seeing the model & I couldn’t resist. My colleague being a good friend I asked permission to take it home as I wanted my Husband to approve. Curiosity filled my mind & I kept checking & thinking how to convince my husband.

Mallika my bus friend used to chat with me al lot. If we both get two seats together our joy has no bounds. This time too we got two seats to sit & I replied Hmm haa.She kept narrating something & Im lost in the new mobile as my exploration hasn’t stopped. What is that beep beep sound are you playing games she asked. No I nodded and said see this new model cell it’s very vibrant & sleek. She can sense my over joyful mood & asked how can I see? Then it struck me that she is blind & sometimes I forget it. I told her to touch & feel & told its touch screen model. She gave a smile & said I have fingers but not vision to see so touch screens are a total waste to me. Hmm I said & continued with the new cell.

She stopped me & said I don’t know how Im going to reach hostel today. Shanti dint come .I looked at her for a second & said why you dint bring stick? I continued exploring the cell.No akka in our group of 5 only Shanti has stick & we all used to catch her shoulders & walk but today Shanti & others fell ill & she misplaced her stick also. No one was there to search for the stick & give me. Our clock struck Nine & I dint have time so I just came. We all have asked our warden for stick he said he has approached a NGO. In our village I used to have small branches of a tree as stick but now in city I feel shy to take that. My latest cell phone slipped from my hands just like my heart. When a person of lesser your age doesn’t have even a basic amenity is there a need for you to convince & buy such a costly cell? My inner conscience raised such a question, My heart mocks at me, my mind resist getting into the excitement of exploring the cell; my tears are sheded for her.

Sometimes I have felt God is too harsh to me. Most of the time I have money either through savings or at that moment to buy what I wished. None of the time I could fulfill my desire as I liked. Some need suddenly arises & I ought to forgo my desire & move on. It’s become a routine so Im kinda used to it. But this time I feel I must rethink about God. He has given me everything only my greed remains unfed. I don’t sleep in platforms with a torn blanket, don’t have to light up stove that gets off from a speedy car, willing to attend school but couldn’t, dint skipped a meal. More than all Im physically fit not like Mallika who always had a wish to see how her mother looks, couldn’t read or cross road on her own.

I returned the cell to the colleague & told him to sell it to somebody. This is one time opportunity he tempted. Its ok I said. If you don’t buy but tell me the reason. I can give two installments for you so no worries he said. I narrated the incident with Mallika & said I don’t need. Common it’s her fate you have nothing to do with it. You are just confused that all he said.Im not confused Im convinced I said. I already have a cell but it’s not trendy with the additional features as that of yours but that will do. He said ok but just by not buying my cell what can you do? Are you going to donate that money to Mallika? No I nodded .Then? If it’s a performance appraisal we tend to point out to our management our efforts, accomplishment in a positive way but if it’s for God we always feel we still have time.

When I was a kid my mother always used to tell if you do anything good or bad you are answerable to God, now go & talk to him. I always used to talk with him. A day will come when I can meet him & I don’t want to stand in front of him telling I owned posh house,65% of my money in shares,30% to my kids, I had latest laptops, I pods, I phones, granite floorings,funished kitchen, stylish Italian furniture’s, traveled worldwide. Would God be in anyway happy to hear that & be proud of me? He dint create the world only for me, my family & friends. What is my role in others life? I wanted to tell God that I have donated food every year for my anniversary, now & then 10 Rs for a beggar, old clothes for orphans. I have done good deeds also. Good deeds? God gives a sly smile & says that’s Nano generosity!! One billionth of what you can do! You are a post graduate you could have spent sometime reading for Mallika who is desperately seeking somebody to read her text books during exams by forgoing your soap operas, You could have educated or showed some light to your servant maid’s child who is the first literate from his generation & who is looking for a guidance in pursuing his educational goals, you could have stopped your watchman’s daughter from getting married before the age of 18 & could have educated him the ill effects she would undergo mentally & physically because of early marriage, you could have created some awareness about women’s health & could have pointed some entrepreneurial opportunities to your nearby slums. Just by donating food once in year, giving away old clothes, donating money you feel you have done good deeds. How silly!!!There is something beyond a piece of paper called money & materialistic things that gives more satisfaction.There are many ways you can help a needy person other than donating money.If God replies in such a way & seeks an explanation. I would not be in a position to answer & honestly I don’t have an answer.

The next day Mallika remained silent thinking Im busy with my cell. I continued where we left the topic yesterday. She was surprised & asked about the cell.No Mallika yesterday I had no vision but today I seem to realize that. Blind like me? She asked; more than you I said. We exchanged smiles & we continued with our chit chat.
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Ambika..
    you have really shown the light and made me realise that by just donating money its not enough we have to take out time and use it fruitfully for improvement of the society..
    good
    K

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

you have a very kind heart ambika. though we might all be doing some charity and good deeds I always think that it is only a fraction of what we can actually do.hopefully one day I will be satisfied that I have really done my part to the underprivileged.:)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rAmbika,

what a lovely post, my dear.i am so touched bvy your gesture, of not buying the mobile.

Yes we have eniough for our needs, bit neer enough for our Greed.

Yes, when we look at other unfortunate people, we realize how lucky we are.

REally very touching post, God bless u always, and keep u happy, and keep u the way u are.

Regards

kamal

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Your post has moved me to tears. Yes, there are many things more than giving money.

One small feedback from me:

Please break up your content into paragraphs, so that it is easier to read.

Keep up the good writing!

Raji

6. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Thanks Kelly for your first fb.Yes most of the time we feel by donating money we have done good deeds.Yes donating money too needs a heart not all can do that but other than money we can be of great help.What we know others dont know.Its better to share what we know which might be of some help.I started RD a/c for my servant maid.She dint know where to hide the money from her drunked husband.I realized how ignorant people are & our small help can add some value to their life.
    [/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Ambi,

I am really moved reading your post. Though I dont donate regularly, I do it sometimes. But all of your questions have thrown light in a different way.

I wish to help people but most of the times it remains as a wish alone.Except helping the old and blind people to cross the road, few times, I feel shame to think that I have not done anything I could have easily done.

Hope you will be an inspiration to other peoples of the society in helping the needy Ambi. :cheers

8. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Yet another eye-opening post from you Ambika. You are an extremely gifted writer. Your gift, I think, lies in your ability to look through the complicated layers of human mind and ever so slightly hint at the right from wrong through the use of everyday incidents that all of us can relate with.

You are so right. A lot of us pat ourselves on the back often after donating used clothes and toys. The fact that these toys and clothes no longer serve us and are a burden for us to keep is often besides the point.

In anyone else's hands, this post could have taken the form of a clergyman's sermon but rather than preach or censure, you have simply narrated an incident and let us question ourselves. Awesome job Ambika!

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Ambika,kudos to your attitude.....yes I too have this dilemma manytimes,whether we could live luxury life or simple one.When our fellow man,craving for his basic needs, could we enjoy such things....

Though my mind says,this is only one life we have to live as we wish,but my heart doesn't accept this concept.Finally I selected my lifestyle as simple as possible.

Regarding helping others,hmm I have to workout on this....

Good post from you...

10. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    [JUSTIFY]Yes you have said it right we are doing only fraction of what we can do.Im glad to know that you will extend your help to unprivileged.You too have a kind heart [/JUSTIFY]:)