1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Supper

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by RadiantCat, Dec 12, 2010.

1. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

I met a good hearted Tamil on my bus ride to Little India in Singapore. It was my first day in Singapore and I was like a lost child. The repulsive authentic Chinese food made me go in search of Indian Cusine. Google God pointed me to Little India. My ignorant Chinese skills pushed me to talk in Tamil with anyone that resembled Tamil.

I met this lad on my bus ride. He made me realize the good nature doesn't neccessarily come from a classified group. The boy helped me buy the bus ticket and I comfortably sat next to him. He rambled about the greatness of Singapore. The questions he asked made me realize there are people in this world who fight for basics such as food and shelter. He asked me why I am going to Little India, and I proudly said I want to eat. Well, the lad mistook as I am from an army camp and had not seen food for ages and the contracting company had taken me for a ride. This is a typical scenario for the unskilled workers in Singapore. He advised me to fight with my employer to get food from the Tekka center and I would not settle for anything less than 3 meals a day. I just laughed it off, because I realized that's the way his world works.

We got down at Little India and he walked me through the colonial streets. By now he had apprised me about Haneefa, Mustafa, Tekka Center, Sim City and ofcourse the park where they sell second hand goods. I was baffled by the Indianess in Singapore. The boy pointed me to an eat out and asked the owener to give me food. I was shocked that someone was recommending food for me. It did not stop there. He asked me whether I have money to pay for the food. "Akka unga kitte 3 1/2 velli irruka sappaduku nu, illat naan kudukatuma" (Do you have 3.50 SGD to pay for the meal or should I buy for you). It was a slap on my face. The boy was unknown to me. All I requested was the way to a certain place and here I see a noble soul that was willing to pay for my food, just because I told him I had just landed in the country and everything is new to me. The boy did not know what MNCs are and I did not know what unskilled laborers are. I realized the other side of the world and the boy is happy in his world.

This boy taught me the greatest lesson. If you do good somewhere, you reap it elsewhere and no matter who you are there's someone that's greater than you in life and they humble you by their gesture.

2. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Please continue to write more CW.Iam eager to read in one shot.:hiya

3. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Happy reading this CW. Keep on sharing such lovely experiences of life!!!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very true, canwait.

sriniketan

5. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

CanWait,

That is such a sweet post.:thumbsup

Yes even I had such experiences in my life where a complete stranger reinforces one's faith in mankind.In fact when this happens one is more startled and nonplussed at this gesture of humanity and less surprised with the actual thing happening around.

I had similar incidents in Cairo and elsewhere during my travel.It does not matter that your bag is lost, does not matter that you are missing your flight or does not matter that you are lost in a strange city but there is always someone who comes to one's rescue at the right time even if you are in the wrong place :crazy

Great post and loved reading it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Is this a recent episode?
    Nice reading.And yes, sometimes you can find the poor more helpful and generous in nature than the rich folks.

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi canwait,

Just loved your post which reinforces the belief that the world has its share of good people too. That boy is SOOOO sweet . I agree with spiderman above… most of the times it is the poor and not so well off people that are more helpful. :)

8. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

A very nice post dear canwait. I too want to share something that happened to me few years back. Me and my mom landed in Singapore Airport. My cousin was supposed to pick me up. We did not know which way to go, we were kind of lost. I asked some one for their mobile for a call to my cousin and she generously gave it. Later convinced that we would be able to find the way, she went. But again the situation was the same and we could not find the way. My cousin had called that number. She came in search of us (mind you, we were not at the same place where she last saw us, we had moved searching for my cousin) and gave her mobile to talk.

If the same happened here, I doubt if I would have done the same. It was very nice to read your post :)

9. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

CW,
    Thats really a nice post. I had been to all those places, just flashed all those days with your post.

10. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Ice I second you. It is not only in India, if the same had happened in the US they would not have helped. I believe desis in the UK, Middle East and Singapore are more helpful than the US.

The office security were Tamils in Singapore. They were more friendly than the apartment owners (desis again). When I landed in Spore, I wanted a mobile connection. I randomly spoke to a Tamil that was having his routine drink outside his shop. He advised me about plans and which one to buy.