1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Love Story…..That Wasn’t!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aminroop, Dec 7, 2010.

1. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

I am so vain!

I will qualify this statement citing an incident. It happened way back while I was still a teenager.

So, I had just entered medical college, and being fresh out of an all-girls school and being one of only very few girls of our batch of 100, I was so overwhelmed by all the attention from the opposite sex , that it was getting to my head. I was infact floating in air a good number of inches above ground level. I was so full of myself that every morning saw me preening in front of the mirror deciding what to wear.( as if anyone cared a damn about what i wore, but still... that’s what I thought!)

So, one eventful day, I decide to wear a cotton-candy pink salwar. The color was so unique and I thought it looked great on me.( well, I already warned you that I was vain , dint i?) if I was aiming at being unique that day, I was in for a shock because, one another person , a guy named Ravi, had worn a shirt in exactly the same color! Since it was a very rare color it was a surprise to everyone . Incidentally, that was the time a certain ‘matching-matching’ ad was doing the rounds and we became the butt of many ooh’s..., aah’s...., ahem’s... for many days thereafter. And I chucked that dress to a corner of my cupboard after that.

About a month later, hoping the incident was forgotten, I dared to wear it again. And surprise , surprise!! He was wearing it too. Call it coincidence or whatever! And this time the teasing went much further. And, were we embarrassed?!!! because of all this teasing, though we did hang out with common friends, but we never spoke to each other. People interpreted it as being ‘shy’ around each other because we ‘liked’ each other. Well, there were those none-too-subtle-corner-of-the-eye glances though…but it was more like each of us hoping to catch the other staring. but our batch-mates thought we were a couple anyway.

But when it happened a third time, even I couldn’t believe it was a coincidence! I mean who would??? That evening, while I was with a gang in the canteen, Ravi suddenly appeared at our table. My friends automatically stated giggling and nudging. One even said,’ see I told you he was interested….blah blah… ‘ I was so full of myself that I was too quick to believe any nonsense. ‘so, he was interested, was he?? well, I will show him loud and clear that I was not interested, whatsoever’. I said.

He : could I speak with you for a moment
    Me : what is it? ( acting all high and mighty)
    He : not here… could you come outside.
    Me: you can say whatever you want to right here. I’m not coming anywhere with you. ( I was at my arrogant best, trying to impress my friends…)

The poor guy was clearly embarrassed by my rudeness... he shrugged as if to say have it your way and handed me a bit of paper with his phone number written on it.

by now, there was pin drop silence in the whole canteen. every pair of eyes was on our table.

Me: what do I need your number for?

He: Well, the next time you decide to wear this dress, please let me know. So that I do not wear it. I’m so fed up by this teasing. Its getting on my nerves.

And he walked away!!!

I was left gaping after him! And whats worse, all my friends burst out laughing right there!

And there I was back on earth with a loud THUD! Ouch!!!

But the good thing was that Ravi and I became very good friends after that episode.

And I still have that dress. And he still has that shirt, I hear. And both of us still LOL recalling this incident.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    27 people like this.

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Re: A love story…that wasn’t!

Nice well written article, Dr Poornima! Height of co-incidence. Are u both still in touch?

Raji

3. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Amiroop so well written incident and coincidence of real life had me smiling--so true version of all of us at that age --we are so emotional and sensitive to all around us --we feel that the world is looking only at us and soo --on so well narrated --with an ending even better congrats for the write up ---and thanks for the share too:hide:

4. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

thanx raji for your fb! yeah sure we r still in touch.:)

5. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Poornina, I really enjoyed reading this ...
    thanks for sharing :)

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very nice Poorni! Enjoyed your narration! Glad that both of you continue to be good friends!

7. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

He : could I speak with you for a moment
    Me : what is it? ( acting all high and mighty):biglaugh:biglaugh

Wow wow what a narration.It seems we are in the canteen witnessing whats going on.I too had similar encounters with a collegue who would wear same fanta color shirt when I wear same color chudi.It was repeated many times but we would smile & cross.He used to wink & smile if he sees me with same color.Like you ( acting all high and mighty) I would cross him as if I dint see him.:spinEnding with a sad note my female colleague too sometimes wear what I wear.They say its like uniform.:drowningI liked your title too:thumbsup

8. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

very well written dear

9. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

That was too funny...and very hilariously narrated dear :rotfl

10. Aarthibhuvan

Aarthibhuvan Senior IL'ite

Very well written. Enjoyed reading it.

regards,
    Aarthi