1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buttering Up Saturn

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

This man used to present himself religiously at our doorstep every Saturday when I was a kid.. Looking at him in his white dhoti, turban and handlebar moustache , one got the impression that he was one of those bandits you saw in Bollywood’s Chambal Valley ‘easterns’, the kind of guy who leered at dancing girls and abducted the heroine on horseback. But he was in fact, a beggar though his hefty profile fitted the bandit’s image like a T and not a beggar’s. .

My mother used to make me drop a coin, 25 paisa or 50 paisa into a pail he carried. If I did that, she told me, Shani, aka Saturn would be pleased with me and would not trouble me much during his seven and half year long evil spell in whose grip I was caught then.

I now wonder at Shani’s penchant for fractions. Couldn’t Lord Shanidev round it up to seven or eight years instead of this seven and half? But I did not ask my mother then as she took this half bit very seriously and would brook no irreverence from me.

The guy was hardly seen during the rest of the week . I wondered what he did then. Did he make enough money on that single day to live well for the rest of the week? His starched dhoti, lily white turban and waxed moustache gave the indication that he wasn’t badly off. May be he was really a well-earning Chambal Valley bandit who moonlighted as a beggar on Saturday.

These Saturday mendicants seem to have gone into extinction nowadays. But the business of coaxing Shani to turn his malevolent eye away from us humble homo sapiens has grown from a cottage industry into a big business.. On Saturday you can see on every street corner in Delhi a plate on which a grotesque image has been propped up. The image is supposed to be that of Shani and he seems to be saying “Pay up or else…..” And a lot of people seem to be coughing up money swayed by this divine protection racket as these plates are overflowing with cash by evening. Some innovative entrepreneur must have become a millionaire with all that moolah by now.

But recently I found that the business of buttering up Shani is a lot bigger than Saturday mendicants and protection racketeers. Surfing TV channels one day, I chanced upon a teleshopping programme in which a guy was peddling what he called Shani Vimochana Yantra , which looked like some kind of medallion with the image of a portly guy seated on a crow..(That must be soeme heavyweight lifter crow!). The yantra the salesman said cost around Rs 2,000 plus with some freebies thrown in and was actually an armour on which Shani’s malevolence would bounce off.

Now, that programme was really enlightening. Until I saw it, I had naively believed that tsunamis were caused by movement of tectonic plates that triggered quakes and massive waves in the sea. But no, said our SVY (acronym for our Yantra} salesman . Movement of some plates tectonic or dinner plates did not cause the upheaval. It was caused by Saturn’s evil eye.

Boy, that was an eye opener! But it raised a serious question. I can understand if an individual wears the SVY he would be protected from Saturn but how do you protect the entire coastline of the country from Shani-triggered tsunamis? Do we have to bury SVYs all along the coast?

This could be Open Sesame for our netas and babus. Besides conveniently blaming all disasters and the government’s inability to provide relief to affected people on Shani , they could make a pretty pocket ordering SVYs to protect the coastline. Soon the country would be rife with reports of ministers and bureaucrats getting kickbacks for ordering SVYs. Opposition parties would demand an inquiry into the scam and paralyze parliament proceedings as newspaper headlines would scream “SHANIGATE!!!!!!!!!”.

Soon if Saturn gave a nasty look to the government it would collapse and if Lord Shani gave another malevolent glance at the country another pack of jokers would form the next government as everyone would eagerly await fresh scams.

And what would the common man do. Blame his miserable lot on Saturn, of course.

PS: I have been trying to post this thread for over a week and failed miserably due to some technical glitch or other. Could it be that Lord Shanidev is behind the failure?

2. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

That was written so well and made me laugh. But what you say is so true. Today you have so many innovative technique to ward off Shani. They have ads in T.V too. Watch some of the religious channels and you can see these ads of jewellery stores and some tantrik promoting his products to keep you away from Shanis look. There is a door delivery service if you order through mail. Many a mad crowd flock and buy these medallions and do so many poojas. Did you hear about the Karnatakas CM doing pooja at Vidan Soudha to ward off the evil, so that he wins the confidence motion. Ridiculous!!!!:rotfl

Regards,
    Uma

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Balajee
    This evil eye or shani whatever it is, it is not only in india I have seen these ads in gulf countries too where they sell some sorts of pendant for about 2 or 300 pounds and tells that if you wear that all your bad luck will drive away...haha
    Liked your last PS lines.....
    So Shanidev was holding your blog from posting it......hahahaha superb.

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee..
    Hilarious to the last letter... Really how ridiculously naive is the Indian Common man to believe and buy these medallions just to ward off the evil eye of Shani... I think the Hindi movies also have done a good bit of their preaching that whenever the hero / heroine was "SHANI" all hell broke loose for their marriages....By the way I know an old couple .. the lady is Shani and her hubby who was too much in love with her to care but family did... got the lady's horoscope altered to be suitable and they both are alive at a ripe age with 2 kids and several gran kids.. old man loves to repeat this episode to all!!!
    K

5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

:clap:clap:clap:clap
    Well written, Balajee. There are people all around the world carrying tonnes & tonnes of blind bilief like this forgetting "as you sow, so shall you reap". A good eye opener too. Enjoyed reading till PS notes.:rotfl

6. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Balajee such an eyeopener write up--why blame Shani only--the other Planets too do their share--but dear shati devta seems to be giving a lot to his personal devotee only--so well written made us think and Smile--I too had a Old horshoe up at my door--he made me dance to his tune--so much was my mental torture--Ha ha :hide:

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Balajee,
    Your post reminded me of a conversation I had with my Aunt one day asking about Guru peyarchi, Shani Peyarchi, Raghu Kedhu and the like..
    She commented that these transitions occur now and then and it also did during those 'old days' too..but now to make money these are the business tactics business men use to become wealthier.
    Believing it or not is not the issue, they make you believe it..that's the irony!

sriniketan

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hahah Balajee.that was HILARIOUS as usual…right from shanis penchant for fractions to you not being able to post. The SVY that bounces off shani (or his powers) had me in splits.
    people are totally insecure ,otherwise why would astrology, vaasthu or Fengdhui flourish?:)

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Hialrious as usual, too good.

You will have to pay me for drycleaning my white shirt on which i split Tea , it was yr fault:rotflYou made me laugh.

Well Mumbai these Shani fellows have disappeared,. my brother has to do this Shani puja, every Saturday, and for 10 kms he went around mumbai and could not find a fellow, ultimately he threw everything on the road.HAHA

Good one Balajee.You are a master writer.

Regards

kamal

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

UMA, sHANI SEEMS TO BE REAL BIG BUSINESS. dON'T BE SURPRISED IF MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS ENTER THE BUSINESS OF SELLING ANTI-SHANI CHARMS.. tHE BUSINESS IS THAT LUCRATIVE.