1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A few changes I would like to see from Indians (in India as well as living abroad)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Spiderman1, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

A few changes I would like to see from Indians (in India as well as living abroad)

Just a wish list. I'd like to articulate these better, for lack of time, I'll list them here, and will elaborate as time permits.

1. Parents should adopt the mentality that they are not "responsible for match finding for their kids". I hope in the long run this will stop the Arranged Marriage system. Let kids find their own partners, or be single - it is upto them. I have never understood why parents have to take responsibility for arranging marriages - the responsibility of the parents is to teach kids values and ability to judge situations, and how to be independent.

2. Academics is not everything. There is sports, there is trade, there are thousands of things. Dont force kids to "study, study, study".

3. Do not compare, and do not force kids or yourselves into Rat-race.

4. Stop thinking money is the most important thing in life. (This applies to people of all countries, not just Indians, I suppose).

5. Shed some ultra conservatism, in the form of upholding heritage and values. Be a decent and good human being - that is the utmost reflection of heritage and values.

6. Teach children Dignity of Labor and practice the same yourselves.

Will pen down few other points later, when I get some more time.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Re: A few changes I would like to see from Indians (in India as well as living abroad

Who knows how long it will take for this wish list to happen in reality? Will it happen in our lifetime or not?

Neverthless, does not harm to write them down :)

Add to the list. Write your own list in this thread, feedbacks, whatever welcome :cheers

3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Re: A few changes I would like to see from Indians (in India as well as living abroad

vow thats a good wish list:thumbsup

i would like to add mine

Dont throw garbage anywhere u like, put in trash (practice this habit more in India).
    practice this and dont preach, children learns by action.

I have seen people, using trash can or garbage abroad, but the same people, in india, throw the trash anywhere they feel like.

4. rsk11584

rsk11584 Silver IL'ite

Objection Mylord :hide::hide:

W.r.t Pt No.1, There are still lots of Conservative Boys , Girls in India who go by their parents wish, and they want their parents to choose the life partner for them. They come from not so metro cities, they come from B-Class cities. I know many gal friends of mine who tell that they will marry only the boy whom their parents will choose,, that means if their parents dont do AM, they will remain single? What will happen to their marriages? Not all will be inclined towards love? Diff people have diff personalities. And even in Arranged Marriage there is fun, by the time you do engagement you already fall in love with her. So You can modify the point as Parents should give preference to Child if chid says yes to AM, then AM if child says I already have fiance then LM.

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

rsk...

I don't think spidey means that parents should just "thanni thelichufy" their kids and leave them. What he means is to not force their offsprings into marrying someone they think is perfect for them! Correct me if I am wrong, Spidey!

Stuff I would like to add....

1) Work ethic
    2) Customer service
    3) Respect and importance to human life

6. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Hi Spidey,

I agree 100%

Many of the points are applicable in general to all, no only Indians

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

No, peartree.

I want parents to set expectations in children that they will be responsible for their life-after-they-become-adults - they will be still be there to offer support, but kids need to own deciding on whether they want marriage, who they should marry etc. Obviously, I dont expect this change to happen in just 10 years or 15 years.

My wish is that it happens in the next 30-50 years! Thats a long timeframe for the change to be completed! rsk: this is not a "shortterm" wish. I know it cant happen for the current teenagers, but what abt the children who are not even born yet, or the not-yet-born grandchildren of the children who are not even born yet! Far timeframe! LOL!

I want arranged marriage concept to end totally. Its a wish. I may or may not get to see that happen in any of our lifetime, but I can wish for it.

I am totally against both:
    1. Parents forcing kids to marry who they choose
    and
    2. Kids expecting parents to "find them a partner"

I want the next gen Indian kids, boys and girls, to be very independent and drive their life and destiny in the direction they want from a young age.

Parents are not responsible for that, what they are responsible is to teach children the right things, and then let them live their lives.

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Thanks radhika,
    And yes both the things you have listed are great points :thumbsup

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Very good points PearTree.
    BTW - regarding work ethic, I sometimes feel Indians (some) have too much work ethic to the detriment that they forget everything else :) Maybe I speak from some of my personal experience, LOL!

Value to human life - super! I missed that! and cust service is a nice one.

Thanks Kalyani, and yes its applicable to all, just that I think Indians may sometimes need more reminding in these aspects.

10. happyalways

happyalways Senior IL'ite

Spidey

A good list. I agree 100%. Here goes my wishes.

1. Parents should not expect kids to toe their line all the time.
    2. Parents start treating their adult children as individuals.
    3. Parents stop being overprotective. Let the kids lead their life, make their own mistakes, owe up to their mistakes, take responsibility for their actions and lead their own life.
    4. Parents stop thinking that just because they are older they are wiser and they know everything.
    5. Confusing obedience with respect.
    6. Stop treating their kids as their status symbols.