1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My BIG FAT.........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

MY big Fat .....Nose!

Blaise Pascal, the great philosopher once remarked that “Cleopatra's nose, had it been shorter, the whole face of the world would have been changed." Much closer to our times and home, we all know Sreedevi became perfect only after her nose job. Well, not that I am a Cleopatra or even a Sreedevi but Oh Yes, I do have one thing in common with them and that’s my NOSE, a real sore point with me.

I do have a bone of contention to pick up with my creator if and when I meet him. This is how I imagine the scene of our creation….The lord (Brahma?) creates us from some plasticine like dough and he has a little allotted for each of us. The amount that he gathers in both his hands has to be finished off in the model that he is sculpting. So, when he finished creating me he had a little ball of the sticky dough which, if you ask me, he could have simply thrown away but for reasons best known to him, he opted to put it on my nose instead.(between you and me I AM glad that he did not put it elsewhere LOL) Alas!!!!! And I landed up with a BIG FAT nose. It starts out fine but gets bigger at the tip instead of a sharp cute point.

On second thoughts why blame him? It is what I genetically inherited from my beloved father. Actually, there were so many things that I could have got from him, just on the top of my list being his patience and cool temper but NO, I had to go and get his nose. I was so conscious of it during my growing years that when people said I looked like my dad I was sure that they referred only to my nose and did not like it at all.

Now, what do men do if they have big noses? They grow nice bushy moustaches which hide their noses but what do we women do? Of course, we adorn it with a lovely nose ring. And as is obvious from our dear Sunkans post on pierced noses, which pops up to the front page of our snippets every now and then with unfailing regularity, this is quite a popular fashion accessory.

So, when I was 18, I decided all that my nose needed to look good was some decent company and hence went with my aunt to get it pierced. She went for a diamond and me for the lovely silver ones that all the gujju girls in my college wore. My mother did not give me the permission to pierce the left one as tamilians apparently wore it only on the right side.

"Are you sure you want to do it?" She had second thoughts whether I should wait until my wedding. "What if the boy or his family did not like my pierced nose? But no, I was having none of that, right side was okay but the boy who married me took me with my nose ring(and my nose, of course ) .Well, it was done and my friends liked me with my new fashion statement.

But I have always had a very peculiar problem .My sense of smell is incredible. Whether a fragrance or a stink, I always seem to get it first. If it is a good smell everyone is happy but when I start saying that something stinks they automatically blame it on my BIG nose. Now, isn't that totally unfair? But that’s how the world is, friends! People only want to believe compliments, they never have the guts to take the bad and improve themselves.

And I also catch a cold very easily. Now, can it be due to its size? I do not know but it does draw attention to my red nose, something I can do without.

I do not remember my hubby commenting at all on my nose or nose stud until my daughter was born." Thank God, she doesn’t have your nose" was one of his first comments. How dare he? My poor nose which by then had graduated to a higher status with a lovely diamond stud took his comment as a great insult.

Well, over the years I and my nose have braved it all! I have managed some compliments too, despite it. Now after all these years I recently had the urge for a change. I see these lovely rings sported by many actresses on their noses. They are plain gold bands or studded with stones and look gorgeous on some ladies and I want to switch to one of those. I casually asked my friend for her opinion but she very seriously vetoed the idea. "Have you noticed, it is only the heroines who portray a vamp's role that go for those rings (and she did give me some examples, Jyothika in some movie that I don’t recall now) and THEY all have BIG noses. If you ask me, YOU better stick to your diamond that suits your face and nose."

I was incredulous at both…on the lovely trinket being stamped as an immoral woman's piece of jewellery and at her for declaring that my nose was not BIG enough for it. At last!!!! And when I shared it with my hubby, he had this to say in all seriousness." Maybe, your face has expanded now with age and so the nose doesn't dominate it, after all?"

What do I say to that now? Just made me wonder where all those men were who wrote realms of poetry on their wife's mesmerising eyes, beautiful smile or…….. BIG FAT Nose?

Have a happy and fun filled Diwali, my dear friends.:cheers:cheers

sindmani, anugamit and swapna15 like this.
  2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl

I was laughing all the way while reading your post...But when I reached this line, I just could not stop laughing :biglaugh

Great Blog...Thanks for sharing :thumbsup

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mindi

What a wonderful history you have written about the nose. Narrated also well. I have to come for tuition classes to learn from you how to write. When are you going to start. Now I feel like seeing your nose.

For you Brahma kept the dough on the nose. You know for me Brahma forgot that he had to keep mysmall finger in the leg last and kept the small finger as the fourth one and the fourth finger asthe last one.

I just happen to come to snippets and saw this lovely post. Now a days I dont come to snippets much as I am busy writing blogs.

love
    viji

4. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,just hilarious.....I loved it...I was smiling all the while....

BTW, I too have this big nose not in breadth wise but length wise..little bit sharp...:rotfl
    And I too pierced my left side with veryyyyy small single stoned stud.

enjoyed reading your post....especially your Dh comment:biglaugh

5. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

//But I have always had a very peculiar problem .My sense of smell is incredible. Whether a fragrance or a stink, I always seem to get it first. If it is a good smell everyone is happy but when I start saying that something stinks they automatically blame it on my BIG nose. Now, isn't that totally unfair?//
    :biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaughoh oh Mindi,I couldnt control myself.Sreedevi of IL?or what?Usually my friends & others used to comment my nose is very nice.I used to stare at them & think what is there in a nose?but after reading your post I feel like checking with mine again.Was Brahma in good mood ?or A kind of boon r bane r what ?:spinEverone of us wished to change our design a little is it not?For you its nose for me the list is ....

Thanks dear Wish you too Happy & safe Deepavali.:cheers

6. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

That was absolutely hilarious, Mindi Madam. Enjoyed the way you have written.
    I didn't notice much when you came home. Oh, now i should recall.
    Periya mooku iruntha mookuku mela kovam varumame !!!!!I Is it true!!!!

Thanks and wish you a very happy Diwali.
    Love,
    Meenakshi

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Mindi...My dear!

Only you could rake up such topics and steer it with fun! I loved it!

(You know why..I too have a big nose.

And I refused to get my nose pierced when my cousins got theirs. But I got it done to indulge DH :wink:. Like you get frequent cold...I started to have allergic rhinitis...with very bad running/itchy nose...that the wound never healed for more than 6 months...and DH put a strict order to take off the nosering...the skin healed and the hole has covered itself:bonk. That was my sad nosy story. See I cant even make my nose look smaller!)

Let me join you..
    Absolutely hilarious...hahaha

:rotfl:rotfl

After reading this...I am contemplating again to try to persuade DH to let me get a gunshot nosepierce and ofcourse a diamondnose ring:idea.
    Enjoyed the post!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi

I forgot to write that I have chappai mookku which we both sistershavegot from our father.

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi iswarya,

Thanks !! Glad I could make you laugh..... at my Nose.:)

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

My dear viji,

It is only your affection for me that makes you write all those lovely things about me. Anyway, thanks for the same.I am touched.Now do not stare at my nose next time we meet,okay?

For you Brahma kept the dough on the nose. You know for me Brahma forgot that he had to keep mysmall finger in the leg last and kept the small finger as the fourth one and the fourth finger asthe last one.

oh really?????:rotfl:rotfl so the creator does not do a perfect job most of the times,no?

and you have a flat nose??? yeah... they come in different shapes and sizes.:)