1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sting

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ambika04, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    I happen to visit my friend’s house. She got married to a well settled family that raised many of her known person’s & relative’s eyebrows. She came from lower middle class family but got married to upper high class family. How could be? Was a continuous question posed to me at her wedding. But I was happy that she can now live life that she never dreamt & coming from a family where her income was highly necessary, she dint have the money to spend for what she wished. Now all ended well & I was happy for her.

Financial burden occupies our mind so much that we are never left with time to enjoy what we did before. So I took her for a walk. We used to run behind bus & used to stand in foot board & that would give us some glee, order a lassi & instruct the server to divide it into two, never minding his groan. Life was like that for both us before few years. We weren’t worried about today neither tomorrow. I asked my friend how her married life is going on? I never asked her this question assuming she is better than before but her reply was a blow. Hey I wished I married somebody like you did which fitted your social status she said. Why are they treating you badly? I pounced. No don’t panic there is no physical ill treatment but.But? What? Words Im not able to bear. What words? Come & see for yourself she took me to her drawing room. I was in a state of shock & I was assuming too many things like - were they abusive & showed all their anger to her, did they think she doesn’t have anyone or are they threatening her by showing their status? All questions ran through my mind & I was in utmost grief & anger.

Her father in law entered the room & she introduced me, I wished him half hearted namaskaram.He called her & gave a parcel to her & before she picked it he said carry it carefully its cost more than Rs 5000 & you dint have experience in carrying such things before so be careful. Though not so offending statement my eyes became moist. Her mother in law called & enquired about double door fridge that got repaired & told her to inform the mechanic after walking few steps she said oh you won’t know right as your home doesn’t have this latest fridge so take the no from driver. My friend nodded. Her Sil gave a cell & asked her to do some online download.Oh sorry you must not be versatile in doing it.Ok leave it & walked. I was about to shed a tear for her but thought her state is something beyond being pitiful. It was hurting me inside as it hurted her. I asked her why you don’t tell them how you feel. She smiled & said it has become usual statements & what they say is in a way true only but the thing is Im not able to take it! I had mixed emotions & dint know how to react.

I silently stepped out of her house. I walked fast immersed in thoughts & rage. I dint hear the horn of ford car that was nearing me. Her father in law stepped out of the car & said get in ma I will drop you. Now you will drop but then you will tell you wouldn’t have experienced traveling in such a car I thought! But obliged his request & got in. He was looking very simple in dhothi & was talkative. I said hmm haa as Im angry with them but dint want to show thinking about my friend. After much conversing he posed a question. Are you happy seeing your friend now? My face lit up as I thought I got a chance to answer as how I felt. I said no uncle Im happy about her previous life but not now. He grew anxious, adjusted his seat & asked why ma? Is she not comfortable & happy now than before? Hmm being comfortable wherever we are is upto us uncle but being happy each have their own definition. What are you trying to tell he asked. See you’re DIL & I had very nice moments. We were happy & contended with what we had. All our salary was given to our family as they needed it. So when money is not with us we enjoyed every bit of life. We used to stand in drizzle, we used walk with one umbrella, and we used to eat groundnuts as we can offered that daily. We dint know uncle where we were leading, we never thought it too. When we had a desire but dint have the money to back it so naturally we became wise in spending & saving it. Every penny worth we came to know so we became honest in dealing it & while dealing with others, we were contended because before our salary would cash we know our expenses that was standing before us so we know when to have a desire, we strived hard to push to the next level that has some extra hike & our talents too hiked along, we related ourselves to many other colleagues & friends who spent their youthful days with dreams & desire that wasn’t fulfilled so jealousness evaded & we never compared each other because we all were in the same boat! Life seemed to be too beautiful. We were open to criticism because we never possessed anything individual.

Like a Jhansi Rani we galloped with much determination shouldering responsibility, maturity beyond our age & weren’t sad or worried for the life we lead but now see my friend & I cant able to come to terms even a small caution by you & your family which every time says you wouldn’t have experienced, you wouldn’t have known. All we knew was to pledge our youthful days to uplift ourselves & family.

We dint know how blank nil atm statements evoked laughter & not disappointment, we dint know sharing a single seat would cherish our memory, we dint know getting into the bus & looking quickly for our friend would enrich our friendship, we dint know when we dint have the money we never wore pride & were able to recognize people for what they are, we dint know we earned true friends not just salary, we dint know how we prayed for each others well being because we could see reflection of ourselves in others. We dint know aleast let her get what she wished prayers needed a big heart, we dint know finishing our work quickly & sharing her work was so joyful. Is our life not better than now as we dint presumed the value of anything even if it is more or less of Rs 5000/- nor knowing the mechanic no nor the high tech mobiles.

Our past life is not a Scorpian Sting that pricks us by others words or actions it’s like an alarm that wakes us or a ring tone that soothes our memory or it’s a musical greeting card that brings back many lovely things that relates to wonderful qualities we possessed that got eroded by our so called today’s luxury & comfortable living! Our life was simple, cherishable,happier & incredible than now. We dint know all we possessed couldn’t be got if we had a comfortable, carefree living as of now!

After few weeks my friend who is a die hard fan of actor Rajinikanth wanted to watch his new film. Even though I know we won’t get ticket I just went to please her. After usual talks she said there is a change in her FIL way of talking & other family members too. I smiled. She said her FIL told he dropped me. She had a doubt whether I said something to him. I kept silent.Realising I must have said something she kept on asking what I told. I winked & said one of the famous dialogue of actor Rajini ‘I told the truth’. “All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”-Galileo
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

You did well by telling her FIL the way they treat her.and good it changed the way they treat yr friend.

Do u know Ambika, in our Sindhi family, we try and marry off our daughters in a higher family, and we take the dIL from a lower financial status.

The boy's side myust realize that they have given such a lovely girl, that is enough, what is the need to keep poking it in , that she dosnt know the value of this or that.Shameful.

Damn good blog Ambika, too good.and u did well, i am proud of u.

Regards

kamal

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Wow....very nice...You did a great job...Proud of you :)

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

Wish you belonged to my friend's circle :) Well, you are friend alright, but I would like to have had you here right by my side and lifting my luck and spirit like you did to your dear friend.

There was much insight in your post and how true, we crave for prosperity and wealth and forget all the luck and joy which we enjoy!

One thing is for sure. Good friends are real gems and if you can find them and keep them, then you are Really Rich.:)

Congratulations for being nominated by Kamalji for the FP. You have made a habit of being in the FP list everymonth.:thumbsup

L, Kamla

5. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Wow Ambika!!!!! You are such a gem of friends... It's hard to find people like you in this generation...Your friend is so lucky to have you as a friend..

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Good on you ambika, and the ending is nice too "Unmaiye sonnen!" :)

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

wow !! kudos to you ambika,you are a brave girl and a true friend.:) but I must say that your friends in laws also are basically be good people only not knowing how to talk.because they could have taken your advice as interference and troubled her more.
    anyway feels really good that it ended happily for her.:thumbsup

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika
    Another superhit from yourside:thumbsup
    Wow you have done a great job by telling the truth and the most important thing is God gave you an opportunity to speak out what is in your mind to your friend's FIL. If you had not got that lift and her FIL wouldn't have asked you that question, you couldn't have poured out your thoughts to him.
    This is super incident on true friends that you have shared with us all.
    Hope you win this month not just be in the finest post. All the very best my dear.

9. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

A long applause to you. You did a very good job. Not everyone gets the courage to tell the truth when they are supposed to. Most just hate them, but smile in front of them, and tell all the things to somebody else. But what you told your friend's FIL, and the true intention of the message, and the correct time you told,... are all wonderful dear Ambika. You are a very good friend and your friend should be very proud of you!!!

Its a very good message for everyone..

10. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    [JUSTIFY]Thanks once again for understanding & making me feel im on the right track.Yes even I dont understand whats the point of telling you dont this,that only pretaining to materilistic things.I knew few sindhi families & I have heard what you have said.Thanks once again for the nomination.Except my mom no one has told -Im proud of you.So thanks is a small word to convey what I feel.
    [/JUSTIFY]