1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On some Funny mannerisms...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

The other day, I was at my friends place when she received a phone call. The fifteen minutes she spent talking, I noticed that her "hands" talked too. She played with the telephone chord, swung her hands, snapped her fingers one by one and at one point actually held up her right arm for a whole minute as if to say "that is enough". I couldn’t help laughing at these mannerisms and recalled some very funny ones that I have observed in myself and the people around me.

In my days there were people who said " dhey thaali" ....I think now a days it is" give me a high five"... for anything and everything. Then there was this aunt of mine who used to laugh loudly and thump the one sitting next to her during any comedy movie we watched together. All of us used to squeeze into the sofa letting her have a seat all to herself.

I once had a boss who( ugghhh ) dug his nose all the time and we hated to touch the file that he gave us. Another neighbour always said" Poocho kyu" and whether we were interested or not, we had to ask her why?

A student of mine always has his tongue out while concentrating on a math problem and what's more ,the tongue keeps moving from left to right. "Ohh , one day I might be tempted to pull it out" I tease him.
    Another one is quite nervous while answering any question. He stands up and keeps shifting his weight from one leg to the other and bounces about making me wonder if he wants to go to the loo very badly.

I laugh very loudly or so says my daughter who is always trying to make a " Lady" out of me .But I have not been able to outgrow it ,as laughter is spontaneous, isn’t it? And why should I when I have actually received compliments for the same. Once when I was leaving a particular office in Mumbai I was touched by the card they had given me " You shall be missed but more so your laughter". Another one told me" thu poora dil Kholke hasthi hai , which is very genuine". Yes, there was a time when I used to clap my hands and shake with laughter but thank God, I do not see it anymore. At my age it would look ridiculous, lol.

I also have this habit of exclaiming "yeah, I know" in conversations. And you will not believe this, but honestly, there is another friend of mine who always begins her sentences with" you know?' Once, our conversation went like this..

She: "you know Anand (her son) blah blah …."
    Me: I know hahhah
    She: and ,you know what? He also blah blah…
    Me: I know, I too have noticed that in him hahaha
    She: Now, you know I don’t approve of blah blah..
    Me, (in all seriousness): Of course, I know that.

After that I wondered. If I knew exactly what She thought I already knew all the time, What the H*** was that conversation for?

Friends, do share any funny mannerisms that you have observed, be it in yourself or others. Of course…. all for a good laugh.:)

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindian,

I was laughing all the way while reading your post. My colleagues are watching me with amusement at my sudden mood change. Thanks to you :bowdown

During my college days, I was just like your friend that you mentioned first. My friends always say that my hands speak more than my mouth. This actually also causes some problems. For ex, when we gossip about some thing, even some one who is far away from me can guess what I am talking about with my hand gestures. Especially when we share some 'A' jokes, my friends will be literally holding my hands so that no one understands what we are talking :hide: :biglaugh

One of my friends, how many ever times she sees us in a day, she will greet us with 'Hi da...' Eventually we started calling her 'Hi da' :rotfl

At present, I remember only so much. Will post more if I remember anything...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Give me five Mindi...:biglaugh
    I too laugh very loudly sometimes if my son is around he comes running and closes my mouth saying mummy stop laughing.......hehehehe
    before my legs and hands too use to dance with me when I use to laugh but after i got married that habit has gone but making big noise and laughing still remains can't help it.
    I have one cousin of mine, she when she starts laughing she keeps hitting the person sitting next to her and we all run away from her when she starts laughing. Mostly many from my mom side have this loud laugh when we all meet together all the neighbours have tough time.
    There is another cousin who pinches the other person sitting next to her when she is talking or laughing.
    And you know is very common Mindi I see many of them using these words at every sentence they begin.
    Some have the habit of telling salla everytime and anytime in every sentence they speak.
    These type of funny mannerism list is never ending........
    Lets hear from others too.:)

4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Dear Mindi,

Good to see your post after long time:)

I know some persons who speak in their mobile in such loud tone, that they dont even require a phone to communicate.,

Their voice will directly reach the other end without a phone:biglaugh

Needless to say , I enjoyed your post very much Mindi:biglaugh:biglaugh

5. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

M,enjoyed your post..I too have this habit of doing actions while talking....still has :rant....

one of my cousin has this habit of blinking her eyes non stop while talking...anyway both the eyes only...:)

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Oh Mindy !

Welcome back , and I can see that you are back with a BIG BANG.

Mannerisms that even funny which arouse laughter in the viewer are plenty in everyone.Though sometimes we are not aware of it until someone mentions and then I wonder , 'Was that me ' ? :crazy

Good to read all the different people you have come across and their accompanying idiosyncratic endearments ( well not your ex-boss picking his nose ).

I often use the word 'Really?' with high exclamatory look translated in my native language quite often.During one of my conversations I happened to use it somewhere causing great aggravation to the speaker when all I had to do was nod my head instead of uttering anything.I stopped using it lest I save some poor souls assuming that I was being quizzical when I was just empathizing.:crazy

Great post which made this forum reverberate with laughter :biglaugh

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I've run into people who have said this! LOL! :)

Avuna? saby?

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Spidey , Perfecto !

Just raise those brows lil higher and gape with a wider yap and now repeat 'Avuna' , thats when the other person loses track of what he is saying and picks a fight with you instead..:crazy:rant:crazy

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very nice post Mindi!
    I know a person who after moving to Bangalore used to say "Avudha" for everything, his friends made it his surname!
    I've noticed people shaking the hair off their eyes. I don't know if they do it if their hair is tied back.
    "You know what I mean" and "I mean" are punctuations for few of my friends. Sometimes I want to scream 'please make up your mind what you really mean..'
    Wonder what people are telling about me.......;-)

10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hey mindi

you are back with bang :thumbsup . enjoyed it very much. We come across lot of people who have some odd habits.

I think i have a habit of saying "Ok" quiet often, other than that, my friends has to point out.

One of my ex colleague had a habit of saying "By the way" .

"Aap dil kolke hasti hon, yeah apke chehre se samajme ataha hai"

P.S. before reading this blog, i sent u pm,saying to write some post :)