1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bandh Blues

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Ever since I returned to Bandhland, otherwise known as Bengal, my mind has turned sluggish. I am possibly back on the same wavelength as my birthplace. No buses, no trams, no cabs, no rickshaws, no nothing. I am doing little other than lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling and ruminating over Cheeniya’s tryst with lizards! Particularly about the lizards he spoke of that disguised themselves as my wife’s toothbrushes with the sole intention of breaking my marriage. His pets. He washes and feeds them first thing every morning.

Cheeniya you devil! Why do you want to finish off the last semblance of happiness that remains in my useless life? Worse, things have been looking particularly grim after Kamla made me chase my wife in Puri and catch her while I could! She has turned so suspicious about the state of my mind that she has stopped eating her meals on the same dining table with me. Keeps a safe distance you know. Instead of serving the food, she throws them at me.

Taken by surprise, I asked her why she was trying to murder me with dining plates.

“Trying to find out if you are able to catch them while you can?”

“Why should I try to catch dishes?”

“You said your friend Kamla asked you to catch while you can?” She ended up throwing a boiled potato and a plateful of salad to try out my catching skills. Unfortunately there was no Ricky Ponting around to help me out.

“Am I dreaming,” I asked myself.

“Dreams are elusive,” whispered Kamla’s haiku.

“Oh no,” screamed I in disbelief. “This is really happening …” As in Rosemary's Baby a la Roman Polanski.

“Listen, we will have a rule here in this household now onwards. Till death do us part. Whatever you do, you have to locate yourself at least 15 feet away from me.”

With this announcement, she proceeded to the farthest corner of the room to eat her dinner. Actually, she kept an umbrella handy, just in case I forgot the rule.

Quite apart from Cheeniya's lizards and Kamla's haiku, I was contemplating about these recent events too as I lay down on the bed and studied the ceiling. “Oh God, “ I lamented, “why did you create women with the sole purpose of not loving me?”

And that's precisely when I remembered this serialized poem I have been writing in company with my friends Amal Sanyal, Argha Bagchi. It's all about things going wrong in the love life of a boy and a girl. I wrote a kirtan for this serial too in a moment of inspiration. The boy, being rejected repeatedly by the girl, goes to Howrah Station to throw himself under a running train. But, to his utter disappointment, he discovers that no trains were running. There was a 24 hour bandh call.

Ah! The power of bandhs! Even suicide is taboo! He comes back dejected to Howrah Bridge and looks down at the river. Should I jump? Can I jump? And the kirtan comes out quite naturally.

I was so excited about my kirtan (it being the only time in my life that I set my rhymes to tune) that I simply fell at my music teacher’s feet and made her sing it for me. I used to be excited those days, since Cheeniya and Kamla had not arrived yet in my stupid cyber-life. Unfortunately my kirtan, like any other kirtan, was written in Bengali.

The kind of Bengali I used defies translation. Nonetheless, I am appending a bad attempt at the job. It does not even sound English! I follow it up with the actual rendering of the song and a drawing by Amal Sanyal.

Unfortunately, the mp3 recording of the song is around 3.3 MB. So, I had to mercilessly cut it short for this post. The IL ceiling is 1 MB. But I have sent an email attaching the full song to those of you with whom I have been in touch over email.

Here goes.

The Kirtan
    Oh my darling, dear, dear ...!
    How long shall me-ee …
    Survive without thee?
    Death I approach in fourth gear.

I badly seek to go to heaven
    I'll throw myself under a train
    Here at this very station ...

But ...

How do I go?
    Oh my darling, tell me dear
    How do I go?

On this bandh day, e'en if I try
    Not a single loco's likely to ply.

Even reaching Burdwan -- alas
    Will be a task horrendous
    To heaven leave alone to fly ...

Where do I go, how do I go?
    Bliss without you, I sha'nt find, don't I know, don't I know?

Doomed and ill-fated
    This life I'll throw away.
    Throw away, throw away, throw, throw, throw away ...

I'll climb atop the Howrah Bridge
    To catch Lord Yama's feet and pray ...

Ripples below the river
    Courage if I find ever
    Jump into it who knows I well may ...

The badly truncated song: View attachment n3.mp3
    The full song can be downloaded from here for the next 7 days. ​

howrah.jpg
    Contemplating suicide on Howrah Bridge​

[Acknowledgements: Song -- Ratna Das, Tabla -- Arun Datta, Drawing -- Amal Sanyal]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ Sir

Enjoyed reading your post. Bandh zindabad

viji

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

A very nice poem, Oj Da..nicely expressed (here translated) the feelings of a lost lover.
    Just as Viji pointed out...even Bandh has its own advantages na..

sriniketan

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ
    Real Hilarous post.
    You should have become Ricky ponting for a day for your dear wife OJ...haha
    Wow that was really a nice poem with simple words about the lover who has lost his love. very well recited.

5. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Superb blog! Enjoyed thoroughly :rotflAnd the poem is also very nice. You would not believe me, just today morning I was thinking that it has been long time since I saw your blog :)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

HAHA.Your wife wanted to join the indian cricket Team u see, for u can bat and bowl, but she suspects yr catching is bad, and taht is why Kamla had suggest to u to try and catch her if u can.:biglaughSo come on, and join our indian team.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The poem was too good, even the rhyme was damn good.

You are a genius OJ, and i will keep telling u that, till u beleive it.

superb.

Regards

kamal

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Superb OJ da, Superb!!...Absolutely hilarious and entertaining. You seem more cute in this tone, if I can say so. Now what is this fetish I see with lizards? And about the disguise...oh my god! how yucky just the thought...hahah! You have mentioned about this lizard on more than one occasion here. Is that a tone of envy or jealousy? :). Kamla's haiku is surely being road-tested. Enjoyed the domestic exchanges.

The translation was good too. I can only imagine what it must have been like for the person contemplating suicide. Already the lover has washed off her hands and now even the situation is washing off its hands. But it was hilarious too, imagining the plight. Good attempt OJ da!

8. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Extremely hilarious post like the others from you, OJda...

Missing the charm of the song badly.... I guess I am the only one (here in IL) who can relish the essence of the song :bonk in terms of its language and Bengal Kirtana style :)

9. ojaantrik

Dear Pashenka:

I think zindabad means revolution. So, when you say bandh zindabad, you are probably equating bandhs to revolutions. May be you are right.

oj

10. ojaantrik

Dear Sriniketan:

This is the trouble with translations. This is supposed to be funny. I mean it's supposed to make people laugh. It's not a serious love song!! ;)

oj