1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No more Uncle Sam! Hallelujah!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Sep 2, 2010.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

One day not too long ago, I heard my husband walk through the front door calling my name over and over in a voice that was bursting at the seams with joy. One look at his face and I was ready to drop down on my knees and thank President Obama. Hallelujah! We got tax-exemption, I was sure of it. What else could have put that goofy grin on his face? Joy so pure and unadulterated on someone’s face can only mean a few things:

• You just received a notice in the mail from the IRS offering you full tax-exemption for life
    • You struck oil in your backyard and now have to fight off the Sheikhs of the Middle East for your market share (or)
    • You won a 50 million dollar lottery and Uncle Sam was kind enough to say ‘Never mind my share, you get to keep it all’.

Every year around tax time, I find myself plagued by nightmares where I am running breathlessly through the dark and shady alleys of a city with Uncle Sam hard at my heels screaming hideously ‘Pay up, pay up, pay up’. I wake up drenched in sweat with eyes darting around in terror expecting to see an IRS agent cackling down at me with an audit notice flapping in his arm.

Obviously I wanted tax exemption more than anything else. Duh!

It turns out that that wasn’t the reason for the face-splitting grin on my husband’s face after all. His cell phone was dead. As in dead as a doornail.

Not a moment too soon according to my husband. It might sound callous to you but he had been waiting a long time for its death. Don’t get me wrong, he loved his cell phone. Such was his love that had I not stopped him, he would have called the governor and demanded a full State mourning and funeral befitting a fallen hero.

He did love his cell phone. It is just that he loved the spanking new Droid phone on the market just a little more. All of Virginia knew that he had been secretly eyeing this new cell phone for a while now when he thought no one was looking. Did he really think that those long sighs, vacant dreamy looks and the slight drool on the corner of his mouth would all go unnoticed? I knew and I sympathized with him. It must be really hard to be a gadget-junkie and not be able to play with the newest, shiniest and beautiful gadget out there.

All he needed was a valid excuse to go shopping for this new toy. The only excuse that didn’t bring truckloads of guilt with it was if the existing phone should die. And so now finally it is dead and gone. Once I managed to calm him down and stop the hyperventilation, he got busy calling his friends to convey the good news after which he proceeded, in a frenzy, to check the websites for deals, do price comparisons and analyze the available accessories.

Today he is the proud owner of not one but two Droid phones thanks to the popular BOGOF (Buy one get one free) sales technique. No happier man ever walked this earth.

If you are driving in our neighborhood and happen to catch a glimpse of another driver directing his Droid’s voice activated GPS to ‘Find Pizza Hut ’ or ‘Find Home Depot’, be sure to honk and say hi to my husband.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Nice one meena,

BTW - Is that the Droid or the Droid Incredible he got?

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Hailarious as usual.so u look forward to tax empetions eh ! Well i never care for them, i just pay and smile, for they are smarter than u always, they give u something, but take away double in some other way, so i just grin it and bear it.

Better to be rich and pay the taxes, than be poor and not pay taxes.HAHA

Well regarding the cellphone, i had an old one, daughters telling me get rid of it, but i wouldnt. They were ashamed to be seen bnear it.Well ibought them good ones, but this one was good enough for me.

One day, Tuffy my dog, tilted the table, and milk fell over the cellphone killing it instantly.Seeems m,ilk gives life to a snake, but here it killed the cell, the daughers celebrated it s death, and i had to go and buy another one.:biglaugh

You are too good as a writer, i can never tire of saying this Meena.

Regards

kamal

4. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

How sad Meenasankaran! You are spending sleepless nights, breaking your head thinking about tax exemptions and next to you your husband is sleeping blissfully hugging his droid phones. This is not fair my dear....

5. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Meena..
    does this prove the theory that men are from mars and women from venus???
    :bonk
    here you are thinking of the great tax benefits and what puts your DH on 7th heaven is a the fact that he can at last have his new toy DROID mobile guilt free... Do you think he purposefully killed it???..
    Good post.. full of fun.. enjoyed it.:rotfl:rotfl..
    and by the way since I'm a gadget illiterate I'm going to google for Droid phone!!!!:hide:
    K

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena
    I will never miss to tell your husband HI with a big grin on the face...hehehe
    becoz I will be thinking of this hilarous post from you when I see your DH with GPS in hand.........
    It is a cool phone motorola people have lauched it.
    BOGOF not a bad offer

7. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Meena sankaran,

Hilarious post. I liked these lines ://The only excuse that didn’t bring truckloads of guilt with it was if the existing phone should die.//

My brother used to throw his cellphone everytime he had a fight with us but none of the time the cell got damaged atlast when his cell died a slow death he stoped fighting thereafter:rotfl

8. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Spiderman. It is the Droid (not the Incredible).

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Join the clan of harassed wives of technical junkies!

My hubby got himself an Iphone as soon as it came out. Not only that, he managed to infect both his daughters and one s-i-l to acquire them and worked around all the problems of solving their existing contracts with the phone guys. He ofcourse could not talk me into it as I love my old and trusted cellphone. Now I sit back and enjoy when each one complains about the dropped calls and the unpredictable behavior of their oh so modern gadget!

The height of it all was how my hubby got flustered when recently all the electronics gave up in the car along with the GPS! He was so upset and so lost that he even forgot that he had the GPS apps right there tucked safely in his belt clipper!!!!!!

But the woes never seem to end. Just yesterday, Apple announced their new set of Ipods.........:rant

L, Kamla

10. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Too good. Had a good laugh :biglaugh. Thanks for sharing :)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">