1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weed

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Aug 13, 2010.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Inspired by a chilly afternoon with sun playing hide and seek behind the clouds, a big hot steaming mug of chai, Ozzie crows with their constipated voice going caw caw and the noise of the motorised plant pruner in action in the hands of a tall and reasonably good looking young man Mike....

Right at this moment Mike is pruning our front and back garden (if I can call it a garden!). The plants and trees have grown so crazily and they are encroaching our driveway now and if not attended to in a timely manner, very soon we will have to park our car out on the roadside and walk through the "jungle" to access our garage door and front door. Goddess Lakshmi is supposed to be entering a home through the front door and that is why back home we see ladies cleaning up the front yard/porch and adorning the entrance with rangoli first thing in the morning. At least that is what I think it depicts. Good vibes to enter the house and not have a cluttered entry into the house. But then I wonder by just cleaning the entrance to the house, is it enough? Shouldn't inside the house including the inside of members in the household also be de-cluttered of all unfit things, before the divine blessing finds its way through the entrance, into our hearts??

No wonder the Goddess has been finding it difficult to pay a visit to us because She is not able to find her way into the house. All she can hear and notice is crickets and birds, some spiders spinning their webs in all directions, trees growing out of control, dry leaves scattered all over, weeds neatly and smartly sneaking in between the flowering shrubs to look like them and flourishing better than the actual plant that is supposed to flower and cats walking through at their own will. Also, She is not used to entering a home through the garage like we normally enter. Actually if you notice, the entry from inside the garage is more cleaner than the traditional entrance to the house in our case. How many of you fall into this category?? Don't be shy. OK some of you at least?? Have you been noticing that you have had expenses after expenses lately? I know we have and it never seems to be ending. Being unhappy with everything in front of the house, the Goddess has decided to deprive us off some Vitamin M because She does not feel welcome right now! Everything in the house is falling apart. I sometimes really wonder how somebody can manufacture things with 10 years warranty or with a use by date and that product is guaranteed to give you trouble the very next day past the expiry date! That is predictability and precision and thinking about Shanvy's blog on this, I now feel I should have posted this as a reply to her. Its been nearly an hour and Mike is still going with the front yard, in spite of having all the gadgets in hand for pruning and cutting. Poor Goddess!

Well, I know I am losing the plot of the post even before I got started with it. Something like a weed my mind is at the moment. It keeps going places and picking up thoughts in the process and comes up with some beautiful flowers (blogs/posts! hahaha...). What does the word WEED remind you of? To me, the first thing that comes to mind is Cannabis or Marijuana, a drug that has been used for religious, recreational and medicinal purposes. Burning Cannabis flowers is known to induce a state of trance. Some well documented source says that Cannabis is used to induce hunger in chemotherapy, lower intraocular eye pressure which has been shown to treat glaucoma and also as a pain reliever (source of this info: Wikipedia). The other weed that comes to mind is an unwanted plant, a nuisance plant. Like a pest. But have you noticed that we sometimes say, "Sorry to be a pest" but never say "Sorry to be a weed"...ever wondered why? They are really a nuisance especially in a theme oriented garden but not where we claim to have a cottage bush. But the most admirable fact about them is their ability to adapt. Weeds need limited to no nourishment at all to thrive and their roots travel so deep into the earth in search of water and food. Their determination to live and flourish and spread is fantastic. They sprout at some of the most unexpected spots on your lawn. They like to be part of the family of plants around and so they dress themselves up to look very convincingly like the rest. I have wondered many times if a weed is really a weed for the fear of plucking the good one! They have some of the most beautiful looking flowers on them.

My point is, we all need to be like weeds. We should be like the Cannibas weed whose presence brings good feelings in others and heals others of their pain. We should also be like the unwanted weed, by learning to survive in the toughest of life's tests put to us and digging deep inside us to find the strength to flower against all odds.

The job in our garden is nearly done. I can smell the freshly cut plants and trees and they look beautiful and neat. It looks more like a garden now and Goddess Lakshmi should feel more welcome hereon. The guy tells me that the plants are all very healthy and they love to have a prune during this time of the year. As we are getting close to Spring time, they will start growing rapidly and more thicker and lusher! I see their smiling faces as the leaves sway in the light cool breeze and their heads nodding in agreement with Mike....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Knots.. so true..there are so many examples in nature and we should try & mould ourselves like them to live in hamony with all...
    K

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Knott,

After a long long time comes a blog from yr pen, sorry keyboard, and a wonderful one at that.

Well Godess Laxmi comes to everyone, but the question is to how much we can hold on to it.It is very slippery too, once cant seem to keep it in our grasp.Besides Goddess Lakshmi, we also need theblessings of goddess Saraswati, to give us the brains to safeguard the Laxmi.:rotfl

And the difference in the home and a hotel is, the home is always cluttered with things, and a hotel is spic and span.

Weeds, yes i have lots of them ion the Garden of mind, and in my brains, the weeds of blogs, which come on thick and fast as the weeds.HAHA

Lovely blog, and do keep writing more and more, we are thirsty for yr blogs.

Regards

kamal

4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear k2s,

Now that is what I call 'exemplary' writing. Just like a 'weed', your post dug deep in to my heart and weaved itself tenaciously around my mind insisting stubbornly that I pay attention to what you were saying. You just elevated the quality of writing in the Snippets, my friend. :thumbsup

I grew up in a house where a small oil lamp in the pooja room was lit at exactly 5.30pm (you could set your clock on this routine) in the evening every single day and the front doors were thrown wide open as a mark of welcome to Goddess Lakshmi even while the back door was firmly shut to prevent Bhooma Devi from sneaking into the house bringing with her the lethal bad vibes.

//Its been nearly an hour and Mike is still going with the front yard, in spite of having all the gadgets in hand for pruning and cutting. Poor Goddess!//

Ha ha.....I would have said 'Poor Mike'.

Enjoy your manicured garden Knot and may the goddess Lakshmi grace your home with her presence every day. I am nominating this post for this month. Good luck! :)

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayshree

May Goddess Lakshmi bless you always. Ya I have also heard that Goddess Lakshmi enters our house early in the morning from the front door thats why they say to put rangoli in front of the house early morning. As Meena has said evening also diya is lit and the door is kept open for Goddess Lakshmi to enter our house.

Those days everyone had separate houses. Chaanam thelithu kolam poduvargal and it will be a wonderful seen to see early in the morning. But now a days we all live in flats, there is no place to put rangolis. If we put also someone or other will come and stamp the rangoli. I get very irritated when someone stamps the rangoli. In this rented house they have put rangoli with paint. So it is permanent there. I put ma kolam on Tuesdays and Fridays. Mostly on Fridays. I like to put rangoli very much but because of my hip problem I am not able to bend and put rangoli so put ma kolam.

Oh while writing this post Ijust remembered its time to light the diya. Hope Goddess Lakshmi blesses me also.

Good post and congrats Meena has nominated this blog for finest post. All the best

love
    viji

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  6. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Your thoughts seem to have flown straight from your mind to the keyboard and to the post...The flow is flawless and amazing....A simple everyday task like weeding can trigger such deep thoughts eh? Atleast you have a garden for Goddess Lakshmi to enter....Living in an apartment on the 10th floor my front door is always closed...and we have no back door :) .....Sometimes I think that neatness is the first step to prosperity...and lighting a lamp makes the house well-lit...All of these lead to a healthy life and hence prosperity a.k.a Goddess Lakshmi.....superb narration....keep it coming

love
    jayashree

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

K2S, wonderful post and writing - not only about pruning, trimming and helping the plants thrive more, but also about keeping the front yard clean for Lakshmi to enter, who by the way will enter yours in abundance, to how to be like a weed. What a wonderful interwoven mix. Speaking of weeds, I have always heard teachers at my DS's school exclaim, "aren't you growing like a weed now" which aptly describes the way you have explained a weed.

This reminded me of the card I received from my dear dear DH when I lost an almost had it job after an interview and it simply said "bloom where you are planted" !! Speaks volumes.

So while I deligently work at the yard weeding away, it is always with the thought that they are going to return, no not next year but probably in the next two months. So what can I do other than smile at their resilience and persistence to survive and hopefully learning a lesson from them :)

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

K2S
    You forgot the lizards which are more then the spiders and others...hahaha
    I am also in your category ...when in Australia we too use to enter through the garage, that would be more cleaner then the front door. Front door had more plants then and use to be frightened of the lizards so use to aways use the garage becoz it was easier na park the car and just enter the house.
    Nice to read about the weeds they grow anywhere and adjust in almost everywhere, and Mike completed his job asking Goddess Lakshmi to enter through the front door now and not the garage........haha

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear k2s

Beautiful opening line that was like a painting! Reading it was almost like sitting there with you and watching Mike at work, the only jarring note being the ozzie crow with a constipated voice. For a man who is used to dark crows with robust voice all my life, this crow of yours is an apology for crows.

I must assure you that Goddess Lakshmi is so resourceful that She can leave a fortune even in locked houses. Overgrown plants that obscure the view are not going to make Her redirect the fortune intended for you to a cleaner house with a better view. But I am fully with you when you talk of de-cluttering of our minds of all unfit things. If we want Her to help us, the least we can do is to become deserving of Her benevolence.

The way some of our cities are becoming concrete jungles, the sight of even a weed should gladden our hearts. Good that you are emulating our venerable Padmini (where is she these days?) in rummaging through Wikipedia and getting armed to the teeth when you write about anything even the teeny-weeny weeds! I may be a walking encyclopedia on seedy matters but a big zero on weedy matters. If anyone broaches this subject with me, I am bound to look like a desperate caged rat which is getting poked on all sides by eager urchins. But I know that our native doctors collect them to treat maladies which only weeds can cure. If I were an authority on weeds, I would have told you that a weed is a weed is a weed no matter how beautiful are the flowers they carry!
    Sri

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear K, You are right. All we need is to look around carefully. So many things to learn from nature isn't it? Keep eyes and ears open.. Thank you for reading and appreciate your feedback.

Kamalji, Aussie money is surely slippery because it is plastic :) and not paper. Hahah you have weeds too in your brains. Thats true and the flowers that come out from them are very interesting looking ones. Very unique and something that only grows in your garden. Thank you Kamalji for your ever supporting and encouraging words. I really don't think anybody is thirsty for the posts but I will surely try what I can. The weed in my brain does not grow and flourish fast like the rest.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010