1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kookuburra

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ambika04, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    I wanted to finish my work at the earliest to attend a reception of my high school friend. It’s been a decade or more I have seen him & other classmates. My heart bounced in joy. My memory rewinds & goes zig zag.Victories that we won, defeats we overcame, friendships that blossomed, borrowed bicycle ride, waiting for our best friend birthday to get extra chocolates, notebook papers becoming boats, chalk pieces becoming our shoe polish, preserved new pencil boxes, how excited we became if we heard our class teacher is on leave, mimicking teachers, teachers day, praying for rain to continue just for a holiday, forgetful badges, all the best signs during exams, banging our head to tell reasons to our friends while in leave - when we stepped into womanhood & how shyness crept in, becoming love messenger between friends, school heart throbs, slam books, when we celebrated all religious festival alike, silly fights, extended beauty counters during cultural, awaiting sports day, knowing MJ’s lyrics more than our poems, affinity towards our section, tearful farewell,chrisma, chris child, lovely mothers who took our friendship in the right sense everything ran through my mind when I boarded bus.

Friends turned out more than I expected.Oh you! Oh you! We can hear this voice all through. Hunk men with french beards, plump girls with kids, baby sitting husbands. Teasing & joy were ours for that evening. We played fun games too. Mr J my bench mate arrived. We had a silly fight of why we weren’t in touch then we continued with the other friends with our fun games in the open lawn. Some friendship remains the same no matter whether we are in touch or not. But both of our eyes were missing Mr.R. R is another friend of ours. Our gang doesn’t end without R. I sighed whether R has come, J understood & said no.R arrived in santro car much later. We could sense his American accent. We joined the group where R was conversing. He kept asking how each one of us came. When we both told we took the public transport. R had a sly smile& said what? Common Ya you guys don’t even own a vehicle at least two wheeler? Gosh! Everybody progressed, we stood standstill.J looked into my eyes. Even I wasn’t sure whether it was our same R.We wanted to make one more attempt & broke the conversation again when R asked J from which part of US? J hasn’t crossed boarders yet. So seen <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region> only in maps ah? R grinned.

I could sense J is terribly upset .I patted J & said lets move. He forgot pa! It’s been a decade he forgot us I added. He dint even had a cycle when we had. Now see how he is talking J said. He dint even ask us what we are now or any other formal things.

When did these kind of people change? When they got heavy pay cheques? When they landed in foreign land? When they thought they are superior rest others are inferiors? I had many unanswered questions. Did he forget when we cried with him when he fractured his left knee? Did he forget we cheered when he won the race? Did he forget we walked because he dint had a cycle? Did he forget we at times had lunch from the same lunch boxes? Dint he realized we valued his friendship band more than anything. Dint he realize we lost most of our fond things when we shifted houses but preserved our school photo. Dint he realize we are standing in the bank of friendship waiting for him? Can any Ranbaxy R& D could suggest a medicine & explain which neuron is making me feel so bad? Can we suggest the UN to add money as also one of the drug?

Our mothers are so conscious about handling money when we were young. But after grown up are they suggesting only about investment & wise savings? Did they forget to tell money can also intoxicate life, tear friendships apart, distance even siblings? Didnt they tell we inherit values to our kid’s too not just wealth. Dint they tell the things he has got a place not only in his house but also in his mind! Dint they tell there are many things that money can’t buy & our genuine friendship is one of them. Dint they tell money can over rule if you allow? It can demolish your basic character, change your very attitude? The very essence of being human can be eroded? It has the power to forget your past & what good deeds you received from others, lips which prayed for you, hands that helped you!

R never even bothered to say good bye & left. J came to me & said see we are as intelligent as he is. We too can earn what he has earned. Then? I added. Furious J added then not santro some other car. Then I added. Then we should go to <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region> for vacation not for working.Then? I added. Then what? Do you doubt we can’t do all this? J pondered. No but we should understand something before we proceed. See our life has become like a crossword puzzle the more you try to solve the more complicated it becomes but the answer is within every one of us.

Now tell me why dint we reply when he mocked at us? I dint want to J replied. J chinned up at the sky as he dint wanted the tears to flow through. I even controlled & did as instructed by my eyelids which told not to waste a tear for R.We dint want to answer him because we valued his friendship more than we valued ourselves! True J added but we dint retaliate neither want to conquer him what else you want me to do? Leave him. When we don’t have a heart to retaliate now can we do it after we earned more, got a better car? J grasped my hand. There are many R’s who we might come across in future too, who deliberately ignored or hurted us, more painful to know when they forgot us. We are yet to explore the pains to be bearded, the strength to stand up. Did you forget our headmistress always used to tell “When you die there should be at least two people to cry for you & it shouldn’t be blood relations.” We already earned each other what R missed. Let recognize or find the other one. Life is all about living not about competing. When we aren’t worried or bothered about transporting in bus, having two scoops of ice cream, seen <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region> only in maps why R should be? There are many ways to feel contended I concluded. I never knew you have grown so much J wiped his tears & said. Grown? Length wise or breadth wise? I added. J had a hearty laugh & said get back to the game you cheater & gave a chit that he held while playing fun games. The chit read” Let’s be merry & sing Kookaburra which you sang with your bench mate in your primary classes” We both recited:

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
    Merry, merry king of the bush is he
    Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
    Gay your life must be

Kookaburra sits on a rusty nail
    Gets a boo-boo in his tail
    Cry, Kookaburra! Cry, kookaburra!
    Oh how life can be?
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

i can very well understrand how u and J and all the others felt.This is very similar to the movie 3 idiots, where Chatur says , see i am in America i have progressed so much, what have u guys done .

there are so many such lousy people areound, who dont remember the good times we had during childhood with them.Yes it can hurt, and i dont blame u for that.

I had a friend, who was broke always.When he went first abroad, he borrowed some money, not a big amountm , 125/- actually, and returned me 100 and 25 is still pending.HAHA

I met him now after 30 years. And i got talking of the old times, and he told me curtly, kamal i dont like to be reminded of the old days ! Can u imagine how hurt i must have felt. Today he is a very rich person, but he stays away from his mother, for he loves his wife more than his mother, who lives alone now.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, dear fAmbika, dont even bother abotu such lousy people.Many makes many go mad.

I have loved this post so much , i am nominating it right now.

Cheer up, God be with u always, so will be happiness and everything that u desire.

Regards

kamal

3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi ambika

what a thoughtful post. well narrated. I agree with you, even i had one such incidence with m close friend, but like you even i have grown up now :) I dont know for what people have such ego, when we dont know next moment what is going to happen, whether we will be alive or not, then why such materialism, why sooooooooooooooooooooooo big ego!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I think when this logic is clear, everyone will understand, and will respect the human being and friendship and not be slave to money and what it can buy.

4. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

I can feel the warmth from your reply.Thank you for that.Im clueless why people change like this.Yes its true we have similar experiences with such people & it hurts badly. But I need to move on ,heal my wound & as you say cheer up myself,shrug my shoulders & move on.

5. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Yes though this is not the first time Im facing this but R's incident is unexpected for me.I have grown up.I can feel how it hurts when you say about your close friend.Thank you for sharing your views.

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

Your post was a touching one.

I loved the little things mentioned by you, that we innocently enjoyed during our schools days. Wish that innocence remains for ever. But.........

I felt a lump in the throat as I visualised you and J recalling your happier days as kids and now wondering about R's behaviour.

I am glad for you and your dear friend. You both have indeed grown up :thumbsup. I am sure, even if you both have all and more of the money, name and fame that R might have now, you would not have retaliated even then. You sure value relationship more than any materialistic things of the world. Keep it up friends.
    R doesn't deserves such good souls like you as a friends. Wishing you all the happiness always.

Bye

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

8. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ambika

Well written post. Sometimes wealth and luxury can really blind a person. When eyesight comes back to them after a few years of mundane living it becomes too late.

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika
    You will find such people many when they come to foreign land people think they are something great and no one is superior then them. By chance i too got the opportunity to come out of India some 12 years back and I am still outside. other then cleaniness there is nothing different to stay out of India or in India. All are humans around, work like robots at least we have the courtesy to help our fellow mates, but these people will never have heart or do they go out of the way and help fellow indian in anyway, I have experienced it many times. So I always make a point if any new comer in the country will surely help so this way you will get a helping group around you. Now a days even our country is becoming clean and tidy. We cannot do anything about the slums they are like black dots. Nazar na lagey....
    You know what is best just forget such people, they keep enjoying themself we are the one who get more emotional and start thinking of them.
    You sang the cute song here is kookaburra for you:)
    [​IMG]

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

Congratulations on being nominated to the FP of the month by no less than Kamalji.

I shall soon come back here with a fb after I read the post. Unfortunately, I will have to wait a bit for that, see you later!

L, Kamla