1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Diary-2

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Your journal is a way of returning to experiences in reflection. In reading through your journal at a later time, you can find new meaning in your descriptions, connecting images and memories into more coherent, illuminating structures. ~ Margot Lasher

My dear friends,

I wanted to write my diary and post it even two days back.Iam like a child with a new toy.This form of expression of my thoughts ,my feelings and my experiences is new to me.But my back pain came back to me and made it almost impossible for me to sit before the PC.

This morning I looked out of my window at the little garden ,that is being nourished by my DH.As usual the sight of the flowering plants filled my heart with delight.Suddenly I saw something else.I saw bunches of yellow flowers in my neighbour’s tree.I like to call that tree “arali”in Tamil but it is not arali.Till yesterday evening I had not seen them,today these bunches of lovely yellow flowers nodded their heads and smiled at me.I was so happy.Right now I am sitting by my window,watching those divine flowers and typing,the experience has to be experienced to know what it is.

I always had a great love for trees.The sea and the trees made me feel good.When I sat at sea shore,watching the seawater gave me a peace of mind that was unique.I flt that all was good with my world and that nothing would ever go wrong.Whenever I listened to M.S.Amma’s song.’katrinile varum geetham…’ immtalised by M..S.Amma’s divine voice,I always picturised <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> stnding on the sea shore with the flute in his hand.The serenity of that scenemade me vey emotional.Trees gave me a sense of security.

My husband raised and tended to beautiful gardens wherever we lived,in rented houses.Nice flowering plants and vegetables.But I loved the garden we had in Goa when we lived there.We had huge trees in our compound.There were jackfruit trees,neem trees,mango trees,snd some other huge trees.Huge trees with big branches ,the branches that would move ,when there was a heavy wind,appeared as if they were telling you that they wee there to take care of you.I liked to stand under those trees and enjoy being there,but those occasions were few,you may remember my telling you that there were snakes around in the compound.So with snakes playing hide and seek and enjoying themselves,I never ventured to even come out of the house very often.

From Goa we went to Delhi and we lived in a flat.Whenever the thought of having a house of our own came to me ,I dreamed .My dream ran like this I lived in a sprawling bungalow that had a huge garden.The garden had big tees.I particularly dreamed of having a neem tree that was mammoth.Under the tree ,I got a cement platform raised and on this platform which went round the tree,I got a Vinayaga murthy installed.This vinayaga was so beautiful,looking as he was smiling all the time,but ofcourse Vinayaga is a benign God. In this dream of mine,my grandchildren were to be seen .My dear friends,my elder daughter was a newly married bride at that time and my younger daughter was in her final year graduation and here I was dreaming about grandchildren.

Ok,let me take you back to my dream.Only my grandchildren were allowed to do pooja to the Vinayaga.I taught them how to bathe the Vinayaga,how to tie his veshti,how to apply the holy ash and sandalwood paste on his fore head ,how to make a garland for him from the flowers ,they would pluck from the flowering plants in our garden.I would make some nice dish for ‘Naivethiyam’ ie prasadam and the children would sing songs,do bhajan,offer Prasad to Vinayaga and distribute it others.I dreamed this every day.One day I told my husband about dreaming this way .He laughed.He said,”Mythili,we may buy a flat in Chennai and where would you go for big trees?If you are lucky,the flat we buy may be in a complex that will have a few trees,Iam not sure of that also,my dear”.

But I continued to dream,to dream is fun and you don’t have to spend for that,you know!
    Finally my DH retired and we came to Chennai . We bought a flat ,a nice three bedroomed flat and shifted in.As my luck would have it,this complex had plenty of open space.And there were trees,lovely .big trees in the compound.There is a play area for the children.The play area has so many trees ,even in the hot afternoons,you don’t feel the heat there,it is lovely. and Vinayaga opted to have his small temple also there.Kutty Vinayaga,with a smiling face .

I used to sit before the vinayaga and talk to him.He became my buddy,I could tell him,confide in him,ask him for anything,His demeanour never changed,he always had that captivating smile on his face.When the arrival of our grandchildren was delayed,I used to go to him sit before him and talk to him.,”Pillaiyarappa,if you don’t bless us with a grandchild soon,I will forcibly take you home.You will be our grandchild.I will keep you on my waist and walk around.So if you don’t want that to happen,you better give us a grandchild fast.”Vinayaga did not want me to have the trouble of carrying him on my waist,Vaidehi presented us with Sneha and Sangheetha became the proud mother of quadruplets.My grandchildren did visit the Vinayaga temple on one of their visits to Chennai.

But what happened to my dream ,where Vinayaga sat under the big neem tree on a cement platform and my grandchildren did pooja to him?.Well,we bought a plot of land in a village on the ECR Road.When we had enough money ,we constructed a one bedroom house on that plot,leving plenty of open space for a garden.I told the engineer who was in charge of building our house,”I would like to plant some trees in my compound.”He said ,”Yes,but not big trees madam,they are not good for the foundation.You can have other small varieties of trees.He saw to it that we had guava tree,gooseberry tree and pavazha malli tree.now what is pavazhamallie tee?This tree is supposed to have come to earth fom heaven.The flowers are tiny,white petals and deep red stems…..The flowers have a divine fragrance .We did raise a pillaiyar temple at the back of the house and our pillaiyar is right below he pavazhamallie tree.When flowers appear on the tree,mostly in November and December the flowers fall on his temple cover the roof of the tiny temple.The people from whom we bought the land,planted saplings for gulmohar and some other tree right on both sides of our house.They started growing.We lived in that house for a couple of years enjoying ,living in the village.Oneday I saw a small neem tree sprouting,I showed my husband that.We decided not to take away the tiny one.The neem tree started growing, not allowing any other plant to thrive under its shade.It grew so fast.

I liked to sit under the tree on a chair,I liked to collect the neem flowers dry them, and store them.I have some even now.Fry them in ghee,mix it with rice and eat,tastes delicious.I enjoyed sitting in the portico watching the gulmohar tree covered with flame coloured flowers and ofcourse my favourite neem tree.
    I want to share my dream with my daughters.One day my grandchildren will go and stay in that house,even if it is for a holiday.They will see to it that their Vinayaga gets his rightful place on a cement platform under the neem tree.They would do pooja for him.Pillaiyarappa ,please see that my dream comes true.He would make my dream come true,Iam sure of it,for pillaiyarappa is a kind,benign God who loves children and is loved by the children.

Now I have come to live in my present house.God has been kind to me .He has given me lovely trees to look at and enjoy.Feeling their presence itself gives me great joy.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Mithila mam,

Reading your diary makes me feel like Im sitting opposite to you & listening.Maybe I have a dream like that.Every word you uttered is from your heart.I like the way you connect with nature & how trees are awaiting for you in every location.

See I could sense the same feeling as that of my mother when you funnily wanted to threaten by saying "Pillaiyarappa,if you don’t bless us with a grandchild soon,I will forcibly take you home.You will be our grandchild.I will keep you on my waist and walk around.So if you don’t want that to happen,you better give us a grandchild fast.”

Wish to hear more pages from your diary Ma.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

DEar Mithila...
    Glad that I read your 2nd entry in your diary first!! now I not being a religious person and also not from the south would like you to educate me on
    Vinayaga.....thats Lord Ganesha If I'm not mistaken... I love that one I think he is the cutest of all the Gods ever created...
    Pillaiyarappa ... I need to know this one???

Your daughter has quadruplets!!! MY GOD... how does she manage... I'm tearing my hair with one teenage brat!!!

I really hope your grandchildren read this and fulfill your wish in the future...
    thanks for the peep into your life... I'm loving it...
    K

4. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Mithila mam,

It was as if you took us along with you and showed your home at ECR road, which had those wonderful trees and the new neem tree as well. Also we could visualise your current apartment which is in a complex where there are plenty of trees. Your writings can draw pictures in the hearts of people. It is so well described that it just captures the imagination of the reader. One more thing mam, though you didnt consciously try anything to make your dream come to reality, God has helped you in making it a reality. Think of the neem tree coming automatically , similarly your dream of the pillayar statue on a cement platform and your grand children doing puja to him will also definetely materialise.

Thanks for sharing your diary with us

5. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila,

Wow, one more beautiful narration. I could actually see the tree covered with lovely yellow flowers. In the part the world I live in, lush tree are less in number so you can understand how much I miss them.

There is something so beautiful and endearing about a tree covered with flowers, sometimes it will bend due to the amount of flowers on it. It is a beautiful sight to look at during rains and high winds.

Its been ages since I sat under a tree. When I read through your dairy I could feel that calming effect that one gets when sitting under the tree in its shade. Its one divine experience, we just take it for granted. But sitting under the tree and watching life is a wonderful thing.

I am happy that you are surrounded by trees and you have such great love for them.

God bless you.

regards

6. mithila kannan

My dear Ambika,
    Thank you for that lovely comment.
    Yes ,Vinayaga ,Ganesh holds a special place in my heart.
    love
    mithila

7. mithila kannan

My dear K,
    I was indeed very happy to get your fb.
    Vinayaga,Ganesh and pillaiyar are one and the same.
    My daughter sangheetha ,mother of lovely quadruplets does have her hands ull.She is a wonderful mother,God only is taking care of her her DH and the childen.

Thank you for your good wishes,
    love
    mithila

8. mithila kannan

My dear Radhi,
    Thank you for that affectionate fb.

One more thing mam, though you didnt consciously try anything to make your dream come to reality, God has helped you in making it a realit

My dear child,you are right.You dream and leave everything to God,don't even think a lot about it and things happen.
    Thank you for your good wishes
    love
    mithila

9. mithila kannan

My dear shiva,
    Thank you for those wonderful words my dear.Trees hold a special place in my heart.When I used to sit in the portico of my house on the ECR Road and look athe beautiful trees on both the sides of the trees,I used to feel that God had blessed me with a special bounty,the bounty that I wanted.
    love
    mithila

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila,

I loved reading this part of your diary.

I played the 'katrinile varum geetham' and proceeded to read your post to end. I forgot that I was sitting in the study in front of a PC. I was in your little house on the ECR road and already the neem had spread its trunks and the little 'Pillayar' was sitting very cozily under it and was blessing you and me! :)

You are lucky to be able to cherish such lovely dreams. True, dream we must and keep dreaming and God will make it happen!

L, Kamla