1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Freak Accident

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

It is not that this is a topic I avoid, but each time I recall this incident in my life, the fact that everything is controlled by Him, and that life can change within one second hits me with such force that it makes me feel very helpless and scared.

It has been more than three years now so I guess I am in a position to talk about it. Three Christmases ago, we had planned a family vacation to Dubai (one week with my hubby's cousin) and Bahrain (two weeks with my brother). It was an early morning flight which I detest as in my already sleep-deprived state, I have the added responsibility of leaving behind a clean kitchen and seeing that the house is nicely locked.

But by the time we reached KLIA I was my cheerful self, happily looking forward to our holiday. I have this habit of going to the restroom just before we board any flight, and both me and my daughter were laughing over something and entered separate cubicles still talking to each other.

As I came out I had a slip (NO there was no water in the floor and YES I was in my Nike shoes…not a good advertisement for them, is it?) and just sat on the bathroom floor. I had the presence of mind to unlatch the door but just couldn’t get up. I almost felt faint with pain and shouted to my daughter "call appa at once"(as if he was the only one who could make it bearable). Appa hesitated to come into the ladies toilet but when he heard me shouting, he rushed in along with two lady attendants. I just could not keep my left leg on the floor and it was five minutes until take off. If we went to the airport doctor we would have missed the flight, and not knowing what to do we just boarded the flight with me in a wheel chair. It was the first time I had such a fall, so I did not even know if it was a fracture or just a sprain. The pain was excruciating and the bone inside my left leg was loose and hanging (it still gives me the jitters to talk about it). I was given pain killers and made to lie on three seats throughout the journey of eight hours to Dubai, our first halt.

As soon as we landed his cousins saw me coming out in a wheel chair and took us straight to the emergency room. It was around 8 pm at night and I wondered about the first question everyone asked …did we have insurance? Malaysia has been quite good to me, Thank God, and except for an occasional fever I am quite healthy here. By this time my leg had become all blue and swollen, confirming a fracture but what shocked everybody was the X-ray that revealed a multiple fracture at three places. How a mere slip in the toilet had caused it and how I had borne the pain for eight hours was baffling to all the doctors.

Well I was hospitalized immediately and scheduled for an operation the next day at 4 pm. It would be a three hour affair, and the process involved inserting a rod between my knee and foot. That night, I lay awake thinking how the day had started and without any warning ended so badly for us.

But I do have a positive attitude, I guess. I distinctly remember the glad fleeting thought that I was the ordained one in the family as the others would have missed out on their college or office for God knows how long. If at all it had to happen, good that it had not happened here in KL where I could not have managed all alone (probably my parents would have come to take care of me). I was sure that worse things had happened to others and that I would be taken care of.

The hospital was like a five star luxury indeed and came with a very handsome doctor (who also paid me the compliment that I was his bravest and cheeriest patient to date) and three course meals that I could order everyday (by ticking in their menu chart), and costing a whopping two and a half lacs.

"There! There! Phut goes my plan of buying jewellery from Dubai …But it is okay God, please let me walk again" was my only prayer in life then. It is amazing how philosophical I had become. And suddenly the doctor did not seem very handsome, now that he had charged me one and a half lacs as his fees alone. I was also the talk of the hospital and was treated as a "must see specimen" by all the mallu nurses there. After all, who comes on a holiday and lands straight in a hospital?

Well, after that I was in crutches and wheel chair for almost three months. My family left as planned and I stayed back with my brother for a month. I did not miss anything and went everywhere in a wheel chair and yes, bought gold and Bahraini pearls too. Of course, for a long time I had to bear the brunt of "meet my wife, she is now a Bionic woman" from my darling hubby who can never resist pulling my leg.

Some things I learnt from this:

Firstly, the answer as to why we pray to God. Surely, many of us have had this thought? I firmly believe that whatever has to happen, good or bad, will happen. Our belief in God just gives us the strength and courage to bear it and move on in life. It was He who made me feel that things could have been worse; otherwise I am not that brave a person.

Secondly, everything in life is bearable as long as you are surrounded by loved ones. My family, his cousin's and my brother's. I can never thank them enough for taking such good care of me. Again, I am thankful to Him for this.

After this incident I am never excessively happy nor do I sink into depression. I am sure that nothing in life lasts very long and it is all a phase that passes away soon.

But of course, I've never been to a toilet in the airport since then. Just in case.:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Mindi

So sad to hear about your accident. And more sad because it happened when you were going on a holiday. Nice of your cousins to take care of you.

I can understand your situation as I have also gone through lying in bed for two months. Good that your daughter also was nearby when you fell down and your husband could come.

Half the sickness is gone when you are taken care with love and affection.

Mindi I will come back later as I have to go out. As usual I just saw your profile and read that you are creating a thread , so came here first to give the fb.

God is always there to take care of us .

love
    viji

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mindi Just becoz that doc emptied your pocket with 1 1/2 lakhs he suddenly became from handsome to ugly ehh....hahaha
    I still not able to understand how did you fell in the toilet dear that too in the airport.
    it is really sad when something like this happens when you are going for a holiday na...but good na on other hand you not only got gold from dubai but also pearls from Brahrian. :)
    I too beleive like you I pray to God becoz He gives me strength to face the situation that comes in life and whatever happens happens for good if it is good or bad. If it is good welcome it cheerfully with party and all if sad face it smilingly, becoz after something bad there is always something good awaiting for you in future.

4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Mindi,

I am so glad that you had your family, immediate and extended, to take care of you during this scary incident. Never heard of anyone getting multiple fractures by slipping in the John! Check with your doctor to see if you need to take calcium supplements Mindi.

While this wins the prize for the worst possible way to start a vacation hands down, nothing puts things in perspective better than a hardship like this. Makes us take a hard look at our lives and appreciate the many blessings that we take for granted usually.

Any health calamity in our household, my mom immediately declares the reason as 'Dhrishti' - the result of the world aiming its lethal, envious green eyes at us, her children. Be it the outbreak of a pimple on the nose or the breaking of a nail, she blames it solely on the many jealous looks (????!!!) that the world throws at us(me rolling eyes here). I have long since stopped asking her what it is about us that the world is jealous at. I doubt if even she knows.

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi

You are really a brave girl, you suffered so much pain, till u reached dubai.

Also later on 2-3 months u were in wheel chair, but you manage to have a positive attitude,

Surely i can learn so much from ur post, towards positive attitude.

6. ramyaraja

ramyaraja Gold IL'ite

hey Mindi,

Hats off for ur bravery.. I can understand how much pain you would have gone through the travel but I also see you handling such a difficult situation with positive attitude..:)..Sure a good snippet to remember for positive attitude.. :thumbsup.. thanks for sharing..

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Brave girl Mindi!:thumbsup

The reasons you had putforth in praying is absolutely true..it strengthens our mind and have a positive outlook.
    I always go through the thought of "half-empty, half-full' theory.
    I am glad to know that you have the half-full attitude, which has to be appreciated.

sriniketan

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Bravo! Mindi!
    Kudos to you and your family! Accident just minutes before boarding a plane and you have to take the decision whether to break the journey or to go ahead. Quite a strange situation and you were all bold to take the right decision.
    We need the love and care of the near and dear ones and above all the benevolence of the one who is Omnipresent to give us the strength.
    You were really blessed to have all these things!
    God Bless you and your family!
    Love,
    PS

9. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindi...
    Thank God you are okay now after such a bad accident... please don't attempt the loo or wear Nike shoes on your journey here to India next month... as we are waiting to see you....
    Well, flip side of your accident is that you had a longer than planned holiday/ met a handsome doc (come on so what if he emptied your pockets...) achieved fame by becoming the talk of the hospital/ spent enough time in Dubai and bahrain to empty it out of gold and pearls... and became wiser!!!!...
    K

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi
    You handled it so well because it was you! What a way to start a holiday isn't it? Even I am surprised that the bone could have multiple fractures just by a fall like that. You better check seriously with the doc for calcium and bone density, if not already. I was more worried about your back when I was reading through. Hubby was also reading and he was asking, " she went for the holiday after the fall?" Life is surely a lot easier with family and friends around and of course prayers help us to give the mental strength to move on. When I was in the hospital sometime back, pain was killing me and because of that my blood pressure had shot up really high for a long time. Docs recommended an intramuscular pain killer which I refused to take. All my friends had come to the hospital to visit me and just spending about 45mins with them, my pressure started settling down. What I mean to say is that having loved ones around you surely helps. I am so happy that you got to travel with VIP treatment :) and ended up buying your gold and pearl. I also want you to get rid of that fear of not going to the toilet in the airport. Possibly try another toilet/Tandas! Actually the floors are over polished in those airports isn't it??