1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The professional help

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Remanambiar, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Remanambiar

Remanambiar New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Chp%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I waited anxiously ,my eyes on the road .This had to be finalized today .I had got the ultimatum from him when he(my L n M) had heard me grumbling. He had said , "Why don’t you listen to me ?This house is too big for you .and you know how its going to be in the days to come .”It was then that I decided .
    I swallowed my pride and put in the ad .
    Five of them had come and gone .But they were not happy .I guess my demands have been a bit unrealistic This time I was ready to lower my standards.I surveyed the room I stood in ..all my beautiful collections over the years ,My wooden ganeshas ,my brass lamps ,my blue pottery and my terracotta pots .They shone ,cause I cleaned them everyday but would the new person do the same for them ? Well beggars have no choice …….
    And then there she was .I hadn’t heard her coming in as I was miles away musing .
    Her appearance was pleasant .(hmmm …decent enough )I crossed my fingers and sent up a prayer (Lord may this be it )She toured round the house .I showed her every nook and cranny “Four bedrooms ?”she raised an eyebrow questioningly .I hummed and hawed apologetically , “ye..yes you see all four are not in use ,one is almost a storeroom .”(hope the answer satisfied her )
    “How about the bathrooms ?’’
    Running water all the time ..we have our own borewell”
    “Okay ….any outside toilets ?”
    “No …all built in”(thank God we have demolished the one outside )
    “The tiles look a bit old, it wont be easy to clean ,you know”
    “No, no they are mangalore tiles and only appears so .I use the best cleaner ad they clean very fast. one swab and the dirt is out” ( I should have had the carpet out )
    She raised her eyes to the ceiling, “Hmmm ….plenty of cobwebs in the corners.” She made a profound observation.
    “A swipe with a vacuum cleaner will rid of it ….I have one you know”I replied (resisting the temptation to bite my nails )
    “These curtains look heavy” Her eyed the heavy drapes and looked at me questioningly
    ‘Have you a washing machine or do you give it to the dhobi ?”
    “I have a fully automatic for all washing and the curtains are also washed in that.” (I smile nervously )
    She stood in the middle her eyes going over every detail .I stood, my heart in my mouth.
    Well now it was my turn to speak .Taking a deep breath I put forward my demands.
    (Deep silence) she cocked her head to one side calculating on her fingers and then she named her price .I gasped .My mouth fell open .Words failed me .As I stoop gasping she said , “Arre ..Madam ,I get four thousand for just sweeping and swabbing a house half the size of yours and you are telling me to clean all those dolls and pots of yours everyday So give me eight and I will think about it .I will need lunch too .
    I blinked ….and still under shock blurted “Let me ask my husband …..”
    “Okay you do that. Heres my mobile number .Call me when you have decided” Handing me a calling card she walked away without looking back

2. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl What a hilarious narrative! Reading the first half, I thought you were putting your house for sale and showing it to prospective buyers. :) :) Only towards the end I caught on (excuse my brain, it needs a couple of kicks in the morning before it even considers waking up - that too very reluctantly :))

I recently did a stand-up comedy in Tamil in my town on this exact topic - the trials and tribulations of hiring professional help. I wish I had read your post before my program. :cheers Very entertaining post Rema.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rema

Very entertaining. I also thought you are going to give your house for sale. Narrated very nicely. Good post. Real suspense.

love
    viji

4. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Hey Rema,

well even i thought that you had put your house for sale!

Beautiful narration!

Wow! you must have been having a great taste to maintain the house!

Cool! :)

Nice one! Enjoyed reading it!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rema
    I really though you are putting you house on sale wow what a suspense just for sweeping and dusting 4000 rupees??? wow looks like a good profession ....hahahahaha
    Really hilarous as before.

6. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations on the FP nomination Rema! Good luck to you.:)

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rema,

Congrats on getting nominated in the FP forum for this month.

Well, maybe because I was reading between lines, I got the whiff of what was coming when you mentioned your 'shining' pottery and said beggars can't be choosers!!

Was hilarious writing and I hope your nail biting days are out...or...are you out with eight thousands per month?! That should give you some raw finger tips! Is it That expensive to hire help in B'lore these days? Oh my!

Hopefully, your pottery is still shining and are not broken?! I wont be surprised if they even check out on the quality and make of your vacuum cleaners and washing machines next!:)

L, Kamla

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Rema,

Probably I was the only one who took your title literally and knew that you were talking of maids even before venturing to read your post.I came to know that this is the new respected term to be used these days instead of derogatory maid.

Surprisingly , even after knowing what you are writing about, the tempo you maintained and the exemplary narrative style have made this thread lot more interesting than what I envisaged.

Hilarious to the core - apt description of your post.There was not a single pause while reading it, as it was too engrossing and entertaining :biglaugh

Makes me wonder,if I am ever kicked out of my job, I might just apply as executive professional help quoting 4 years of experience managing my own house :crazy

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi rema,

of course i knew what you were talking about maybe because I have been in your place many times but absolutely enjoyed your delightful narration.:thumbsup.yess bangalore is becoming too expensive my mom keeps saying.:)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Dear Rema,

Even though this time the mystery was in the open even before I barely read your post, I always enjoy your suspense filled posts :)) You are one of the writers I always look forward to read, keep them coming !!!

Cheers,
    Sujatha