1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My dear amma….

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sindhusn1980, Jul 4, 2010.

1. sindhusn1980

sindhusn1980 New IL'ite

My dear amma….

Here I am finally writing about my mom…its been 2 months…

I still remember the day I saw her last awake and conscious…April 4th …I was coming back to dubai. For the first time in my life I saw my mom crying…crying like a baby…(Usually she is the strong one in the family. Didnt cry when I went off to college, when I got married and came to dubai, when my daughter was in ICU due to delivery problems, when she was diagnosed with the worst disease of all…)

I told amma I wont go back to dubai.and she said “Kichu (my daughter) is starting school. You have to be responsible”. Only she would say that.

A week after I came back she was in hospital in ICU. After 4 days she was brought back to room. I called her and asked “Amma I will come to see you”..She said in her weakest voice “Am fine..Take care of your husband and daughter”.

April 22: I got a call from my dad saying that amma’s health is bad. I asked him to talk to the doctor. That night I could not sleep. I knew something bad is going to happen. The same feeling I had the night before my grandfather passed away.

April 23: Woke up hearing the phone ring. It was my dad. He told that amma’s condition is very serious and to get there asap. That was the longest flight I had taken. For once I didn’t have to think what gift I will buy amma, whether she will like it, what I should ask her to make the day I reach there,….

I reached the hospital.There she was…with all the tubes…I had never seen her like that…I touched her and called her. She made some noise and moved her hand. She tried to open her eyes. But she couldn’t. I was crying. My aunties came near me and told me not to cry. Be bold in front of dad. How could I be bold?I wanted to shout at them…But then I saw my dad. He was sitting on a chair.Thinking….Crying…Then I knew I shouldn’t cry.. I have to be strong..I have to be like my mom.

April 25: I got up at around 5 am. I thought I should get back home..I will have to clean my home..Amma is coming home today.I knew it.I went back home and cleaned everywhere.Amma doesn’t like it otherwise..She hated when we made the place a mess.Before going back to hospital I thought I should take amma’s saree. I don’t want to see her wrapped up in a bedsheet. I opened her cupboard…Took her favourite saree…dark pink saree with yellow temple border. the saree I bought her for my engagement.Then I thought Where would I find the matching blouse?I opened up the saree.The blouse and underskirt were right there.I gave to my ammayi(uncles wife) and told her if something happens amma should be in this saree.

I went back to hospital.We were beginning to go to canteen to have breakfast and the nurse came and called us. Me, my dad and my grandmom went to the ICU.My mom was lying there. Her breathing had slowed down. My dad and my grandmom were crying. I kissed my mom and told in her ears “Amma you can go now…I will take care of achan(dad)”. Then I could hear her breathing deeply. The machine next to her started making some beeping noise. Nurse asked us to leave.

Amma was gone by 10.10 am…10 minutes after we walked out of that ICU. But I know she was gone when I told her that I will take care of achan.

Now that she is gone…I still wake up early in the morning thinking it was all a bad dream. I still pick up the phone to talk to her. I look around and there is no one…no one to ask for opinions when I am confused, noone to say everything will be alright, no one to fight with and still know that she loves me, no one to say “You look beautiful”, no one to ask “What do you want for your birthday”……….

I miss you amme……

2. shabd

shabd Bronze IL'ite

dear sindhu
    i just want to say one thing.be bold always.i am sure your dad would be proud of having a daughter like you.the best way to repay her love for you was the promise you made her before she left.

3. sindhusn1980

sindhusn1980 New IL'ite

Achan is with me now..Last week went back home...Now will bring him in september when i come back after vacation

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sindhu

Very touching post. May her soul rest in peace. Dont worry she will be blessing you from up and will be always by the side of you. Take care of your Dad. He needs your love and affection now. Be bold

love
    viji

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sindhu
    This is so touching and emotional post from a daughter to her loving mom.
    It is nice to see that you have taken your dad with you I think that is what she wanted, her last wish. be brave and always be at your dad's side becoz men don't tell or show they feelings but they are the one who is broken fully from the heart.
    You mom's soul will rest in peace.

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sindhu,

Touching and a moving post. I read it with a lump in my throat.

I completely understand when you write, that you had to be strong in front of your dad. I experienced it during my college days. Beleive me, you will be surprised at your own strength in the coming days as you look after your dad. Mom will give that strength and courage.

Time is the best healer. My prayers for you and your mom's departed soul. Take care.

Bye

7. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

dear sindhu..............very touching write up.i know you loved her amma very much.amma ennum ninte koode thanneyundavum.ammaykkariyam nee achane nokkikollumennu.njanum prarthikkam ammaykkuvendi.sandhya

8. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Sindhu,

There are no words to console someone who has gone through the loss of a mother...

Your anguish touched a chord in my heart as it is like a replay of the time I lost my mother...

She will be very much there is spirit to guide you in times of need and to give solace when you are stressed out...believe me, one can actually feel the presence of a belovedmother...

Time will heal, the memories will never fade away, Sindhu dear

Love,
    Padma

9. sindhusn1980

sindhusn1980 New IL'ite

Thank you everyone...

10. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Sindhu,

I read your post with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. My prayers for you to find the strength to survive the loss of your mother and take care of your father. Hang in there, my friend.