1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Science for Dummies

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Jun 27, 2010.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Today I was browsing the Web and came across a whole category of books called ‘For Dummies e-books’. If you have ever wished that you had learned how to scrapbook, tie your shoes the right way, bake cookies that at least your dog will eat or the right technique to scrub a toilet, I guarantee that there is a ‘For Dummies’ book out there for you. I can’t tell you what a relief this is to me. I can crawl into bed tonight and rest easy knowing that help is just a keystroke away.

The book heading my very long list is the ‘Science for Dummies’. I am tempted to let you believe that I have this insatiable thirst for knowledge and that I am trying to keep ahead of the curve in Modern Science. If I were Pinocchio, my nose could now be used to measure the double windows in the living room for new curtains. There is no dignified way to say this. Call me ‘Dumb and dumber’ when it comes to Science. It is true. My husband would vouch for it.

For years now, he has been trying to get me excited about Science. Short of dressing up like a molecule and twirling around the room, he has done all he can to get me to share his enthusiasm for the subject. Discovery, Scientific American, and National Geographic magazines are on our mailbox menu week after week. We have annual family membership to all Science Museums within 50 miles of our home.

After an hour perusing one of the Science magazines last week, he sat me down for a crash course in a new theory in Quantum Physics that the magazine was sporting as the main story that week. ‘But first let’s see if you remember what we talked about last week. Go ahead and tell me what a black hole is again.” To which I promptly replied that something was burning on the stove and ran into the Kitchen. “Did you forget already? Alright then. Let me explain again.” He said and proceeded to talk about concentrated areas of mass, gravitational pull, Dr. Chandrasekar and Nobel Prize. At the mention of a fellow country man’s success and fame, his chest puffed out with pride.

Satisfied with my repeated promises to remember this vital piece of information this time around, he then initiated a family discussion about Darwin’s Theory of Evolution and the social debate involving Science and Religion. I tried my best to look intelligent and think Science.

I have GOT to get myself that ‘Science for Dummies’ book soon. It is an emergency.

1 person likes this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena
    Reading your post ran to google what is this science for dummies book about...hehehehe looks like even i will need one to be added into my book self soon..:)
    So true same thing happens to me my hubby dear and my dearie son go one explaining things about these modern science but all on deaf ears or dumb head..:biglaugh:crazy

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Absolutely hilarious !:thumbsup
    HaHa tell me about it! My hubby too has a fascination for science/sc fiction and I am sure I am a great disappointment to him as anything technological or science does not enter my head very easily. He says I just have a mental block and explains so patiently , but those sessions can be sooooo taxing on my poor brain that I too think of some chore in the kitchen and escape.:biglaugh

4. meenasankaran

Dear Aruna and Mindi,

Thank you. :)

Isn't it fascinating that 'husbands' as a breed everywhere seem to exhibit this very annoying (to us wives he he) habit of lecturing their spouses on technology and science? I am glad to know that you all can relate to my situation here. Thanks, again, for stopping by.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Here is another one of those wives. As I have crossed quite a few years along with my hubby, I 'think' I know what a black hole is now...It could be that space in my brain which will not comprehend his scientific thoughts???!!:biglaugh

Anyways, you sure seem to have a great understanding where the art of writing is concerned and I think it compensates for the lack of the other art, science.

Congrats on getting nominated for the FP of the month.

L, Kamla

6. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

That was too hilarious. Keep writing. I don't understand why it is same case in every household.:bonk

Kamla, your feed back was too funny I just laughed out loud on your explanation for black hole.

Anabika

7. meenasankaran

Thank you Kamla and Anabika. :)

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Hilarious post.How did i miss it all these days.Well i am with yu all the way, even i am a dummy where these things are concerned.

do u know, even i dont know how to tie the laces of my sports shoes, so i dont take them off, when i wash them, for i know i cant put them back on, so the shoe is all white, while thelaces are dirty.HAHA

So send me the link to the site and even i want the dummy tag removedfrom me.

Regards

kamal

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena
    Every time I read something that you write, I feel immensely disturbed and inadequate! Initially, I felt very drawn to you that here was a twin soul who could be as dumb as I was. But of late, I have started entertaining a doubt if you could be just leading the gullible guys like me into believing that you could be one of us. Take for example your latest thread ‘Science for dummies’. I am appalled to see that mindboggling terms like mass, black holes, gravitational pull, Nobel Prize and Dr.Chandrasekar have been casually used by you to garnish your thread! I feel awfully uncomfortable that you could be one of those walking encyclopedias whose heads are swollen with information for all!

I would have straightaway dumped you for taking me for a ride posing as a dummy but I can’t do that either. Your style of writing and your subtle humour keep me attracted to you and I find it difficult to turn away from you! Our association is now like that been Lord Emsworth of Blandings and Albert Einstein, I being the former and you the latter. Sink me in any convenient Black Hole which appears to be your favorite subject of post dinner discussions with your hubby but promise me that your humor will keep the Black Hole illuminated for my benefit!
    Sri

10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Meena,

Wow! very well written.:thumbsup I will search for the book definitely. :). By the way you are educating all of us by making us to develop your scientific hints . :rotflI love science.

I doubt you are a science lover; indirectly you are spreading knowledge about science by kindling the desire of the people who read your posts. :)