Edit Time

Discussion in 'Site Help & FAQs' started by sokanasanah, Nov 24, 2013.

Restore edit deadline to 24 hours

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. TheAlchemist

TheAlchemist Silver IL'ite

Yet again, "Great minds think alike" ;-)

Since I have been here, the most prominent realisation I have had about this site is that though IL provides the platform (infrastructre) at the heart of this entire site is the "User generated" content (Content is King as they say). Everything else is built around what YOU contribute. Whatever position is taken should in no way put at risk this piece. So, if someone like Soks comes up with this request, seconded by none other than Utts and of course nem and Ansuya also responding (even though clearly not in favor), its a clear flag for the powers to be to consider. I am sure the judgement will be in favor :thumbsup

The proposed solution (if and only if reverting to 24 hrs for all is not an option) :

15 min Edit limit should apply to everyone below Silver (this one is just to include Utts)

24 Hrs for everyone including and above Silver.

The newbies today (like me) by the time they get to Silver, having worked with the limit would have got so used to it that they wouldn't use the 24 hr limit even if they had it.

Users impacted due to the overnight restriction being implemented (today's Silver, Gold) need to be supported and doing this as above should be relatively easy. IMHO, this seems to be a good win-win solution for this issue.

The bigger risk that I see here is that if we went down this path (of 15 mins limit and beyond), very soon we will end-up with posts that will look more like a twitter-feed which would mean it will put at risk the core of this site (and no exaggeration here).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

That should obviously have been 'relieve' !
    This wretched edit time-limit will not allow me to correct typos - I am forced to re-live them - shuddddddderrrrr!

I guess I could write in MS-Word, but that's annoying in its own way, all that toggling between windows.

We need more votes.
    I made a mistake in not choosing a more inflammatory title!
    I need to resurrect Roger Ailes. This might get ugly before it gets better.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey S!
    Great thread! I agree completely! :biggrin2:

5 people like this.
  4. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Or Thomas Paine's inflammatory 'Common sense'! C'mon cents (opinions)

(edit:to rally the thread)

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Agreed to the point Sokanasanah, I just feel at a loss about what is the appropriate edit time though if not 24 hrs. I understand where IL adminstartion is coming from completely and yet I feel the need for longer edit especially sometimes what I write is sooooo long that it takes me a good 20 mins to read it. I am also with you on writing on word or some such place and copy pasting here and it makes me wonder about the need for 'auto save' in that case. It's the fun of writing, reading, editing, re writing, re reading and still felling dissatisfied that gives the charm to writing. I don't know about others but i would be grossly disappointed if I didnt feel a need to edit, further.

2 people like this.
  6. TheAlchemist

TheAlchemist Silver IL'ite

Only reason behind moving to 15 min edit limit, IMHO is to reduce the work-load on the moderators. I don't know for sure if there is a dearth of mod volunteers on this site but that would be the most plausible reasoning if they stick with this edit limit.

(to rally the thread)

7. leena999

leena999 Silver IL'ite

I too feel 15 minutes might not be enough...a 24 hour window will give more time to those who want to come back and make changes.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Srama, do you know the exact reason why the edit window was reduced to 15 minutes? If not, is it possible for you to find out, or get someone else from "management" to visit this thread? Thank you for letting me impose on you, my friend ;)

Some clarity here would strongly advance Soka's case, or perhaps show if it is worth polling/fighting for at all.

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Okay, I give in. Soka, you've got my vote. I just noticed I wrote "immortal" instead of "immoral" in a post. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so bloody tragic.

1 person likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Speaking of typos, I chuckled when I saw this, this morning

[​IMG]

5 people like this.