1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best Indian restaurant in New jersey.Your reviews and favorite food .

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by hemalathaK, Sep 21, 2011.

1. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Dear all,

I know most of you may visit the indian restaurants every weekend and some of them once in a while.
    Of all the places, which restaurant is your favorite and what is your favorite food there?
    How about the service and the price?

I too have visited some of the restaurants and i didn't find a single place where everything(food, service, price, ambience etc...) was good.If one thing was okay, one thing was missing.
    Now a days, one thing I find to be the same everywhere, i.e; the price.
    Whether the food is good or bad, they charge almost the same .

I hope this thread will be useful to many of us to find perfect place to dine out.
    Also I would like to hear your worst experiences(may be the food, service) you faced, since people might avoid these places in future.

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I agree.. NJ has lots and lots of Indian restaurants, but none are good. I dont find the food outstanding or excellent in any of the restaurants around. The quality is degrading day by day.

I once had a buffet from Hoysala in Somerset and its better compared to others. The worst experiance I've faced is may be from Abhiruchi in Green St, Iselin. The biriyani was the worst I've ever had, and moreover the attitude of the waiters was so terrible. They played loud music and were chatting louder than the music and were smoking at the entrance door. They badly had a 'don't care' attitude - they were rude and behaved like 'if you want, just eat and get the hell out of here'. We'll never ever visit that restuarant!

Indu

3. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

I dont live in NJ. I have friends there, and when I visited them, they took me to Akbar. Went there for a sunday afternoon buffet. There was nothing great about that buffet. It was just ordinary, like a normal standard Indian restaurant's buffet. But loved the ambience. So because I was disappointed with the food, after all the hype my friends gave, I wanted to take away some food from Saravana Bhavan. Ambience was bad, but needless to say, the food tasted awesome!

PS : I'm a vegetarian, so maybe the biased opinion about Saravana Bhavan!

4. hemalathaK

Hi Indu, thanks for sharing your experience.

Now a days weekend lunch buffet everywhere has the same menu like chicken biriyani, tandoori chicken, one chicken curry(mostly chicken tikka masala) and sweets like either rasamalai or gajar halwa(the gajar halwa they serve is so terrible that one will never ask for gajar halwa anywhere in future) lol.
    And some fresh fruits that's it.Each and every week they follow the same.I really don't know how people are ready to eat the same menu each and every week.

5. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I agree about the food in Saravana Bhavan. But they too disappointed us in some occassions. But so far the best dosas in the area.

SSC, are you talking abt Akbar in US 1, Edison? If you visit the place when there are some parties going on, you'll find it very noisy and disturbing. They share a part hall with the dining area. We liked the chicken kabab (something like a manchurian with kabab pieces and bell peppers), but that dish totally upset our stomach..

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

sukh sagar from Edison is really good. Only one time we went and happy about it, their service. More than me, my cousin used to go there very frequently and she always appreciated about that restaurant. Again, when the management changes, no one can give the guarantee abt the quality. So, pls dont blame me if it is not good now!! Another restaurant in Rt.1 south(dont remember the name) seems to be very good, but pricey as they provide only fresh food with fresh garam masala, no leftovers at all(that is what i heard). Will let you know when i come to know abt it.

7. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Ami, I too agree with you abt Sukh Sagar's veg buffet :) Not sure how its now, but it used to be very good.

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Eventhough I don`t live in NJ now, I lived there 5 years before. So, the thread tempted me to reply.
    I love Thanjavur restaurant in North brunswick. Their masala dosa,chutney,sambar,vada and puri are the best.
    The above mentioned items are yummy like our home preparations. Their masala reminded me of my mom`s cooking. Dosa grill in Rt.27 is also good. Their lunch buffet is good. I hate all the restaurants in oaktree road.
    Nothing tastes good and bad service. Anyway the crowd will come at the weekends, then why they bother about the service.Thanks for making me nostalgic about NJ!

9. hemalathaK

Oh that's very nice to hear from all of you.But the sukh sagar and saravanabhavan both are pure veg restaurants know?
    Thanks for sharing your views indu, SSC, ami and viji.
    Do any of you found the best non veg restaurant in North brunswick , princeton area?
    I really wanted to go to some best NV restaurant.Very sick of eating my own cooked food.lol

10. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

girls i am hungry now looking at this thread :) i liked saravana bhavana when we visitied NYC once.
    ambience was not great, but food tasted yummy :)