Are bikinis allowed on Dubai beaches?

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by Writer25, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Writer25

Writer25 New IL'ite

I'm Indian but born and brought up in the USA. This winter, my family and I are visiting India and Dubai. I know that Dubai is in the middle east and tends to be conservative but I heard the beaches are a bit more "liberal." I don't want to offend anyone, get unwanted attention, give the wrong impression or get in trouble with the Dubai police.

I have a question about appropriate beachwear in Dubai. Can I wear a two-piece swimsuit that has more coverage? The top is halter but covers the breasts and with a skirted bottom. I want to avoid shopping for a new swimsuit but if I have to I will.

Have you seen Indian women wear bikinis on Dubai beaches?

Or am I better off with a one-piece swimsuit? The problem is that one-piece swimsuits are sometimes less modest than a bikini. I tried shopping for one-pieces but they make it very low cut. The conservative one-pieces are usually are not available in my size. I wear a size 0 or 2. That is why I usually end up getting bikinis. I don't like to buy swimsuits online unless I tried it on.

As for clothes, I need to shop for new clothes. Most of my clothes are for cold-weather. I realize that tank tops are risque in India and Dubai. I'm going to buy cotton tees that I can wear with capris or knee length skirts. I have pants or jeans I could wear.

2. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi
    two piece swimwear is allowed at beaches. ive seen many taking a sun tan at the beches. even in water parks here, two piece is allowed. i dont think so you will have any problem regarding this.

3. sweetdxb

sweetdxb New IL'ite

Dubai bans dancing, kissing & "inappropriate" behavior
    Dubai issues list of prohibited public behavior

Dubai authority banned indecent public behavior (Courtesy of Emarat al-Youm)
    DUBAI (AlArabiya.net)
    Playing loud music, wearing short shirts, dancing, nudity, kissing and even holding hands in public are all considered inappropriate behavior under new guidelines laid down by the authorities of Dubai, according to a press report on Saturday.

The Dubai Executive Council issued a list of special standards governing public behavior that requires Dubai residents and visitors to respect the customs of the Muslim country and avoid what the council considers inappropriate behavior, the Arabic-language Emarat al-Youm reported.

Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length, and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent
    Dubai Executive Council
    The rules, which apply to all public places, include a ban on all forms of nudity, playing music loudly, dancing, kissing between men and women and unmarried couples holding hands.

In addition, the council ordered that anyone caught under the influence of alcohol—even a small amount—outside designated drinking areas would be fined or imprisoned.

Any breach of the guidelines, by nationals or expatriates, carries a possible prison penalty or deportation, the paper said, adding that the guideline have been distributed to governmental departments and private companies.

The order also requires all visitors of public places, such as government buildings, shopping malls, streets and restaurants to dress in “appropriate” clothing, otherwise they would be denied entrance.

“Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent,” the guidelines stipulate under section “public behavior.” Slogans or pictures considered "insulting" to any group or religion were also prohibited.

We are not authorized to give any interview now and do not have any comment on this issue
    Nasser al-Hamali, Dubai Executive Council
    Conflicting reports

Nasser al-Hamali, the council spokesperson, refused to comment on the report.

"We are not authorized to give any interview now and do not have any comment on this issue. We don't care what is published in newspapers," he told AlArabiya.net. "Let the press and the people talk."

But an official government source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter denied that such guidelines had been issued and said that if the report were true other newspapers would have received a copy of it.

Dubai, a member of the seven-emirate United Arab Emirates, has a diverse culture as it is home to a foreign population made up mainly of low-skilled workers from Asia and white-collar, mainly Western, professionals.

Unlike most of its neighbors in the conservative Gulf region, the emirate tolerates a relatively relaxed dress code and hosts dozens of hotels that have bars and clubs, where alcohol is legally served.

However, a series of incidents, including crackdowns on cross dressers and the expulsion of two British expats found guilty of having sex on the beach, has thrown the clash of local and foreign cultures in the limelight.

4. Writer25

Writer25 New IL'ite

OMG. You have to be brain-dead to think of going topless on a beach in the middle east!

5. sweetdxb

sweetdxb New IL'ite

Hey writer25, when you are coming to Dubai?
    You can contact me, if require any assistance here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  6. Lizaray1079

Lizaray1079 New IL'ite

I think bikinis are allowed at Dubai beaches.

7. Shivani2009

Shivani2009 Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Yes Bikinis are allowed at Dubai beaches

8. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Bikinis are allowed only at Paid Beach Park and Beach Resorts. You can't use in Public beaches.