Is it cheaper to buy gold jewellery in India or Dubai?

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by Nalini32, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Nalini32

Nalini32 Bronze IL'ite

Is it cheaper to buy gold jewellery in India or Dubai?

2. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

@nalini... I understand gold prices are set on international standards; so pricing diff will come with the making charge involved in the item and the company's policy. However I do know that in Dubai, the gold quality is better than that in India, in terms of purity. And i understand Dubai holds that title worldwide.

One example is that- my mom had taken a lot of jewellery that she had accumulated over the years for my wedding and that included 18 carat as well as 22 carat gold items. When we exchanged it in India- we got very good rate for 18 carat items too (usually no one accepts exchange on 18 carat gold, otherwise it should be for 18 carat items itself) and in exchange for 22 carat items.

However in some places in Dubai, say like Malabhar Gold- in some line of products of theirs- they charge 37 % as their making charge!!!! but yeah very beautiful items!!!

And usually the gold purchased from India- when got to Dubai for exchange, they dont usually accept it here. It hasnt been accepted in a few situations with me.

3. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

what about the HALLMARKED jewellery being sold in india.they are said to be pure as they claim.??

4. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

@mybaby1... we all go by trust yaa.

All these things came into light for me during my wedding time when my mom was exchanging old jewellery and getting me new stuff.

for some stuff that she had got just 2 years back (like earrings and all)- they were ready to exchange it for just 35 percent. and my cousin says that gold and silver sold in some states are not accepted in otehr states...

but in such cases what can we do?

5. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

The rate difference is very negligible to make any sense to buy gold in dubai.... Gold bought in india without hallmark (especially old jewellery) is accepted at very low price when exchanged in dubai.

Earlier, when india was yet to introduce hallmark gold, it made good sense to buy gold in dubai as one cud be sure of its purity...but now with hallmarked gold available in india....the difference is not much. In dubai the making charges is really very high. If at all u want to buy gold in dubai...i would suggest buying gold bars so that u can either sell it in india for good price or exchange it for hallmarked jewellery in india.

sindmani and kuro like this.
  6. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Nalini for the question :) and thanks Sumitha and Sithara for clarifying. I always used to think gold is cheaper in Dubai :( I was also planning and forcing my hubby to take Dubai route while travelling to India. But have heard the designs are very good in Dubai :). I just love gold :) but with this shooting price of gold now I think it's better to buy some gold.

One friend said, we can even buy gold in the duty free shops of Airports, is that true girls ??

7. RajSai

RajSai Platinum IL'ite

hi ladies,

what sumitha is exactly correct. i was also very crazy of gold. in fact, i was mad with the purity of stones or gold sold in dubai. please dont go blind in craze.

i do not deny that the designs are extremely attractive in dubai. but that is not the criteria. i also had the same experience as others while selling indian jewels in the gulf countries. they take it at a very lower rate. instead, we can buy gold bars from dubai and get the jewellery done in india. making charges are extremely affordable in india compared to dubai. do not worry about the designs. i get designs from various books and give orders in the jewellery shops to get some nice designs as in dubai shops.

meFatima likes this.
  8. Nalini32

Nalini32 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks ladies. Your comments are very helpful.

9. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

yes you can buy gold jewellery and alsobars from dubai airport but it may be that they must be having limited choices as far as jewellery is concerned,and for prices it is almost same to the outer market if purchasing bar.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hello Pumpkin01,

One friend said, we can even buy gold in the duty free shops of Airports, is that true girls ??[/QUOTE]
    I think the prices are very high in Airport DF. Please chek it out!!