Diwali shopping in DUBAI

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by devaradhan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. devaradhan

devaradhan Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Its just a couple of days for the diwali eve and hope this thread will be useful for the new ILties & as well as for the ones who have landed recently in UAE.

Lets post our shopping (new clothes, pooja items, etc.,) experiences and queries here. Hope it helps many.

My shopping queries are,
    1. Where do I get mango leaves for the kalash?
    2. Are fire crackers (the ones which doesnt make a lot of noise) sold here? I know it is banned here but heard that it is sold in Bur dubai.

Eagerly waiting for your responses.

Cheers:cheers
    Devi.

Guys you can also post new ideas which you have planned for this Diwali.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010

2. Angumani

Angumani Bronze IL'ite

hi friends,:)

first of all thanks devi for starting the thread of diwali shopping. I went to safeer mall near al khan area there they kept the pooja items which includes artifical mango leaves,thoranam, frangrant sticks, dhoops. diyas both decorated and ordinary.friends near this area pls do visit.:cheers

thank you
    Angayarkanni :coffee

3. devaradhan

devaradhan Senior IL'ite

Thanks Angayarkanni. I too saw them in lulu hypermarket (ghusais) but just thought what if we could get the real ones....(lil too much isnt it?).So what dress did you buy and frm where?

Come on guys.....share your experiences and ideas.....

4. chamuraj

chamuraj New IL'ite

Hi Devaradhan,

You can get mango leaves from Bur Dubai,near

5. chamuraj

chamuraj New IL'ite

Hi Devi,

How are you? You can get mango leaves from Bur Dubai,near the Krishna temple you will get.

Thanks & Regards,

Eshwari

6. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi

Mango leaves, betel leaves, flowers, all pooja items are available near Shiv/Krishna Temple in Perumal and other stores. Also available in Khiara Stores, Choithram in Meena Bazaar.

Happy Deepavali to you.

Best Rgds
    Shanti

7. devaradhan

devaradhan Senior IL'ite

Hi Eshwari and Shanti.....thank you so much for the info. Planning to go 2mrw.

DIWALI WISHES to you both.

Enjoy and have fun.
    Devi.

8. anumdas

anumdas Senior IL'ite

Thanks Devi for starting this thread. I exactly had the same queries which I wanted to check over. Being a Malayali, we are not into the kalash. But I would definitely like to know if we can buy the lights for the kids.. we tell it "poothiri", the non noisy sparkling type lights. can it be used? where can we buy it?

9. Vijipradeep

Vijipradeep Junior IL'ite

hai devi, am living in abudhabi before 2 months only i came here am new to IL also... nice to see u ppl are discussing abt the festival am a tamilin this s my first diwali with my hubby am missing everything .... i didnt buy a dress ... i feel so much sad this time .... mine s love marriage my hus s malayali ...i didnt celebrate onam and also diwali ... i become frustrated.... but i will come to burdubai temple on friday....in tamilnadu ppl celebrate like distributing sweets and do poojas and wear new dress and we go temple....

wat u ppl do here how u celebrate here can u tell me

viji

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. devaradhan

devaradhan Senior IL'ite

Hi Anu,

Children love fireworks and my son is pestering me to buy them as he heard from his friends that they all had bought some in bur dubai. Not sure abt the shop still. I shall definitely post the details once i get to know. Hope it should be before diwali.

And now I learnt a new word in malayalam...."Poothiri" and thanks for that...trying to pick up the language from the time I came here and still unable to speak fluently.

Cheers,
    Devi.