Where to get fresh sweets & Savories?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by vijikrish, Mar 2, 2010.

1. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

I need to buy fresh sweets & Sav to bring back here to US....It need to be fresh coz of travel and I would like to store in fridge and let my fmly enjoy. Any shops around t.nagar, mylapore, kodambakkam, vadapalani or near by is also okay....suggestions pl.

Viji

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

We usually buy from krishna sweets (T.Nagar) and Adayar Anandha Bhavan. They stay good in fridge for upto a month (but who leaves it that long :crazy). Especially krishna sweets mysore pak and anandha bhavan's mixture were keeping up very well.

-Uma

3. kavithabalaji

kavithabalaji New IL'ite

Hi

Coming to sweets and other items we always prefer:

Adyar grand sweets
    Krishna sweets in T.nagar
    Gomathi shanker ( opp to t. nagar bus stand) Every item in this shop is very fresh and they are famous for their mixture.

Good Day!!

:thumbsup

4. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

My sugesstion is also
    Adyar anandha bhavan and krishna sweets

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Grand Sweets is known for their freshness. All my relatives who fly carry from there.

Arch

6. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Adyar Ananda bavan.Usually before leaving to US I ask the worker working in the counter where I need to buy sweets to find out which time will be appropriate to come and buy fresh sweets and I also mention that I will be leaving to US,they will tell me the time.If you need to buy any ready made mix like vathakulambhu,etc then grand sweets is the place other than that as fas as sweets is concerned AAB is always fresh and good.

7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't miss buying from Mannah Sweets near Kodambakkam Railway Station.

I always buy their Soan Papdi's (both Banaras & normal), Kaju Rolls & Mini Jangiris. They stay fresh even outside the Fridge for close to 15 days. Then store it in Fridge and enjoy.

Also, their thenkuzhal murukkus and boondhis are good.

Regards,
    Malathy

8. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,

Thank you so much for your recommendation.

IndusLady - I heard about Mannah Sweets long time back, thanks for refreshing my mind. I sure will get their Soan papdi & Kaju rolls, they are fav of my daughter & my husband.

Satin & Brinda - thxs for recommending Adyar Ananda bhavan. I will check with them b4 leaving to US..are they located in Adyar?

Archana & Kavitha - I will check with Grand Sweets, i think i have seen their branch in pondy bazaar.

Advitha - Krishna Sweets... I heard about their yummy mysore pak..

Keep flowing with shop names and their speciality. My fmly loves Indian sweets & I like to gift sweets to my friends here.

:thumbsup Viji

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Viji,

My preference is grand sweets rather than krishna or adyar anandha bhavan.

In krishna sweets they use too much of ghee for the sake of richness, but it doesnt suits all recipes.Only mysorepa and few traditional sweets are good..rest are ok kind.Whreas adyar annadha bhavan is also the same i.e., good in selected items..but they are truly expensive.

Grand sweets is worth the cost..Real good taste in savouries and sweets :thumbsup

Mannah is also a good option.

the hot jilebi's in venkateswars poli store is terrific but i'm not sure abut itz shelf life. But dont miss to try them when you are in chennai

10. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

Thank you Cindhuja. valid point about ghee & will visit grand sweets.
    Iam originally & my mom is currently living W.Mambalam...Venkateswara boli stall is my fav...last time I went to India...i noticed lots of boli stall appeared in w.mambalam...one on Thambiaha road was my fav near the hospital.