Where can I buy Kalchatti

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by elza, Oct 9, 2009.

1. elza

elza New IL'ite

Can anybody tell me where I can find a kalchatti. It is made of stone not mud and is used in cooking. I found references to it in several blogs. But none of them answered my question to where I can buy it in chennai. Plz let me know if any of u have it.

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Kalchatti is very common in south india...

In chenai it is available in shops like Rathna stores,Sundar stores,Ponni stores..All are in T.Nagar

Even saravana stores has it

3. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Hi elza,
    If you happen to visit Trichy, you can get it inside Sriragam Temple. The original one is available there.
    Meenakshi

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Meenakshi,

Good Idea :idea...

Elza,

It reminds an other alternative..Like she said check in any of the shops in front of big temples like..Madurai -meenakshi amman,Trichy-Srirangam,Trichy-Samayapuram.......List goes on

5. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

I got my Kalchatti inside the shop in Srirangam temple. Thanks Cindhuja, didn't know that Ratna and other stores in chennai carry them. If ever my hubby gets to know this info he will kill me with his looks... made him lug 2 heavy ones all the way from Trichy :)

6. elza

elza New IL'ite

Thanks everybody for the replies. I never thought shops like ratna stores will have them. So never asked. But what u people said about temples are right. But I'm not sure I'l ever get a chance to go to any of those places. Can u let me know any temples in chennai having them?

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sure try the stores in-front of kabaleeshwarar temple in mylapore and kandarkottam parrys..they have wide range of shops..So you might find them..

By the way years and years back my friend got from rathna stores ..so i guess they continue selling :hide:

One more option is to get from the sea-shore shops in mahabalipuram..i have bought many kitchen utensils(like the one for crushing garlic, tempering laddle etc)..so try them too not sure

8. elza

elza New IL'ite

Hi everybody,

After my long search for kalchatti in and around chennai (including Mahabalipuram) I realise that nobody sells kalchatti anywhere in chennai. It is interesting to know that Ratna stores have an exactly same shaped chatti made of cast iron or aluminium. They said everybody buys this 4 kalchatti. Otherwise none of the above mentioned places in Chennai seems to stock them anymore.
    In conclusion I've to go to Trichi and make my wish come true.

Will let you know if it happens. :)

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

So sorry Elza..thought you could have found it...Will let you know if at all i come across in chennai...keep in touch with this thread :cheers

10. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Elza

I just saw your posting enquiring about Kalchatti. I am so glad to help you out in this, unfortunately not from Chennai, but from Palakkad, Kerala.

Yes. I was in Palakkad in August last, visited this place after many many years (my father belongs to one of the heritage gramams of Palakkad), and happened to stay here for a week this time.

In Palakkad, there is a heritage gramam called Kalpathy. There, there is a street named Kal Chatti Street. I was curious to know why is it so named........ I was told that once upon a time, Kalchattis were sold in the road, the name derived that way...... But now there is no shop selling. But the road side shops will be opened during temple festival in Kalpathy.

The temple festival has started from 1st November and will go on for 2 weeks with a famous Car Festival concluding the event. So there should be shops selling Kalchattis. You may try a visit and buy from there. But I was also told that otherwise also Kalchattis are sold somewhere in the Angadi there in Palakkad. I could not get one as I cannot carry due to heaviness for overseas journey:rant.

Enjoy your trip and buy one and have nice tasty food made in the kalchatti and share the experience.

Good Luck.
    Shanti