Shopping places - Chennai

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by ushasriram, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ushasriram

ushasriram New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I'll be Chennai after Diwali this year. I need your suggestions, informations in planning for shopping. My needs are below. Please please share you recos based on your experiences.

Patiala salwars/mix-match dresses
    Elegant salwars & party wears.
    Casual kurtis - raw silk/cotton silk/south cotton Indian prints +t-shirt styles
    Formals shirts
    cotton salwar materials good ones- no fading or running color -- can be ready mades / stitch-ables (somewhere in the forum saw a reco in sowcarpet Nirupa - pls need contact info)
    Bandhini materials with kundan work == can be ready-mades/materials
    Lucknow chikans -- preferably kurtis (salwars optional)
    nice skirts, Wrap-around skirts with matching tops

I am goin to be in Chennai for just 15 days or so. I can max spend 2-3 days for shopping to get most of what I want. So, please share the places to shop that are not too far off from each other (consolidated sort). I saw lot of reco based in cissons complex and fountains plaza...any specific shops here?

Btwn, am already digging into posts for more info. great going ladies. I am so happy that I found this forum. lots have changed in Chennai. it's getting trendy. I wish I had more time to shop in Chennai :(
    I am still so ancients in looks. got to do a wardrobe makeover :Lol:

Thank you all
    Usha
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Usha...

I used to shop in Punjab and Haryana handicrafts stores in T Nagar for salwars. Their collection (color,design) is too good and durability is also very good (No fading problems). Their price is also quite nominal !

Hope it helps a bit... Have a wonderful trip !!

3. ushasriram

ushasriram New IL'ite

Thank Gowri. where are these Punjab and Haryana handicrafts stores in t-nagar-any landmark ? do they have specific names? pardon me, am so out-dated both in style & places in chennai.

4. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Usha...

When you are going from Panangal Park ... both the shops will be in your Left hand side. Very near to Naihaa...
    Got this address of Haryana handlooms from web : Dont know whether it is right or wrong !
    New #68/Old #89
    Pondy Bazar
    T. Nagar
    Chennai-600017

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. nithya0781

nithya0781 Senior IL'ite

Usha,
    you can find lots of kurtis in fab india....they have wonderful collections.....but little expensive....you can also try in lifestyle....this time i bought kurtis from fab india and lifestyle only.....
    regards,
    Nithya.

6. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

FAb india not much of varities , may be the time i went there is so...

7. ushasriram

ushasriram New IL'ite

thanks for all your responses. please keep more coming in. will really help me shop when i'm there.

thank you all :)<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Patiala salwars/mix-match dresses: FAB INDIA, FOUNTAIN PLAZA, They also have this set with comes with 2 tops in a set.

Elegant salwars & party wears. If you want to buy and stitch then Sanskruitte and Ashara on C.P. Ramaswamy Road are a good choice.

Casual kurtis - raw silk/cotton silk/south cotton Indian prints +t-shirt styles Fab India and any other place will have kurtis.

Formals shirts Lifestyle,Westside, Allen solly has a good arnge of workwear for women

cotton salwar materials good ones- no fading or running color -- can be ready mades / stitch-ables (somewhere in the forum saw a reco in sowcarpet Nirupa - pls need contact info)

You can buy them from Pothy's or Nalli 100 any boutique in the city. Boutiques rates are higher! Nirupa's number 9382806632, Reena 9381488428

Bandhini materials with kundan work == can be ready-mades/materials Bandhini shop in fountain plaza, Sankrutiee on CPR Road

Lucknow chikans -- preferably kurtis (salwars optional) Rohit Chikan Palce, Prince Plaza Egmore

nice skirts, Wrap-around skirts with matching tops Cottons again Fab India but formal wear Lifestyle, Shoppers stop or ,Westside!!

9. ushasriram

ushasriram New IL'ite

Thank you Janani..will help me a lot in shopping.

Thank to all others as well for sharing infos. great forum!

10. ushasriram

ushasriram New IL'ite

two days of shopping...

on day 1-- first went to Sultan Gems on TTK road..gave a custom order for a pair of earrings in citrine in 18K gold..the making charges are high in this shop like someone else mentioned in a thread. I'll be receiving it on monday..will update on their work when I see it.
    Then been to the Mookambigai complex's boutiques--Lady Hawk didn't have much at all..probably they're all out for Diwali...then to Rekha's hmm..the stuffs were okay...stitched salwars were all cotton..pricey I felt..got one ikat kurti & a salwar in while/blue combination..shall post the pic when I can..
    then been to the kamini's ...kurtis were good..not impressive salwars..probably I rushed too much and didn't have an idea as to how much on an average a decent salwar costs? :) then to Tulsi silks..pretty good coll..purchased a silk-cotton saree in green/pink combination. then to Shrishti..got a salwar..pricey stuffs here..saw branded salwars kushi & dressline salwars. then finally to saanskrutie in CPR road--not great selections here..very pricey..I got a kurti it was unique so bought with a legging separate..
    on day 2...
    to t-nagar shop..first to SKC for kid's wear. had good stuffs for girl kids. was hunting for Sherwani for my son..but was not so impressive..liked the color in some but not good designs ..good designs but bright colors ..so that didn't work. Then been to RMKV the ready made salwars weren't up to the mark..wasn't looking for materials as I have less to get it stitched etc etc..nothing here...then went to Sundari silks..purchased 2 salwars in tussar & raw silk with emb & zardosi works(i think) little pricey but the peices looked great..so bought..that's about it...

am yet to shop some tops/t-shirts & jeans, footwears, kid's party wears..please share highly recommended place that I can finish off in just a day. Thanks all!