Fire in Saravana Stores

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by lalithavennkat, Sep 7, 2008.

1. lalithavennkat

lalithavennkat Silver IL'ite

Hai Friends
    Lot of high-raise buildings are being constructed by various people for commercial and for
    residential purposes. These buildings are being constructed leaving no space or emergency exit in the
    building.

Thank God the fire took place in the early hours in Saravana Stores. Only two employees were died.
    If it would have happend at the time of business hours..... Imagine the life of the people in that area. Very
    shocking.

Is there any way to overcome this problem.? Please give your views.

2. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi lalitha,

i was just about to start a thread on this when i saw this one...

am sure most of us chennaiites would have been to ranganathan street sometime or the other...

this fire raises many questions, which are going to be difficult to find answers for....

the months of sep-dec being the festival season, the volume of shoppers is only going to be huge...

i wonder if authorities are going to be strict and enfirce safety measures and regulations, which is the only solution...
    its an obvious fact that the shops don't have emergency exits and equipment needed to handle fire and other emergencies....

either the owners of these buildings should come up with a social responsibilty and ensure these on their own, or the authorities should be really concerned about such things, and see the potential danger involved and enforce safety measures strictly....

its a miracle if either of these can happen....

3. carmelvimal

carmelvimal Junior IL'ite

Well, This is been happening for quite some time. People are not bothered about safety in ranganathan street.

Money is playing around everywhere and no one to ask questions about anything in this area.

Lets hope nothing worst happens to anyone there.

4. vsar

vsar Senior IL'ite

One of the unfortunate system bugs in the Indian Governance is that the Fire Department can only check and give a certificate if all the required safety measures are in place. They cannot close a building saying that safety wise all features are not there.
    I know a Fire Inspector and he says his job only is to check and give suggestions which nobody bothers.
    Also it's mistake on part of we people because we never bother about safety in any public places.
    How many of us even bother about checking out Fire Exit in any public place we go, like a movie theatre or shopping complex? Also unless the public decides to boycott such places, nothing is going to change!!!:rant