Life of a Diamond jewellery?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by satin, Mar 20, 2012.

1. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

What is the life span of a diamond stud in gold.I have completed all my jewellery purchase excpet for diamond stud and pendant,bracelet.In the past 3-4 yrs I have gone to the store several times but never wanted to buy diamonds,bcos I was not sure if the sparkle will stay forever(or atleast till I turn 60 or 70 :) ).Most of the women I saw in their 50s or 60s wearing diamond stud always were wearing only oil stained(dont know how to explain but with not much shining but looked blurry).Since I wanted to buy a diamond stud for 50k to 60k plus pendants and a bracelet(totally around 1 lakh) I will purchase only if it outlasts me :) .Are diamonds really are forever or they also have some life span like 20 to 30 yrs only.Please give your honest opinions.Thanks.

2. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Diamond are forever :)

Yeah we can see lot of them wearing oil stained Diamond stud because of the poor maintenance.

when taking oil bath remove the studs and wear it later even while oiling your hair care is needed.

After 30yrs if you feel the shinning is missing give to goldsmith(whom you know very well)they will remove the stones to clean the dirt/oil stains and will fix it back which will take 1day to do this process you have to be near to take a look at the work.So that we won't be cheated.

We can use this in regular basis to.We have to maintain it properly.

Hope this will be useful.:)

HAPPY SHOPPING.Share what you bought.:thumbsup

3. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Hi lathaviswa,

Thanks...sure your answer drives me into buying diamond jewellery again,oh ok I didnt know that we clean/remove oil stains from diamonds...ok atleast I will have a look at them more patiently this time....will def.share what I bought once my diamond shopping is over :)

4. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Diamonds are for ever :)

If you maintain them properly (without contact with oil, don't touch them immediately after applying moisturizer on your hands, don't apply make-up with diamonds on etc) they last for ever.

Good Luck for your diamond shopping

Ganthi

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can take your diamond jewelry to the same store/shop, they would clean and polish it.
    It looks new :)

Also, just for this reason, I wouldn't stop myself buying diamonds.
    I am a big fan of diamonds and get scoldings from my dad & DH for buying it :-(

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm your diamonds seems to be damn cheap...
    There are different types of diamonds you should know exactly the right one to buy. It depends on the karat and the perfect cut of the diamonds.
    Pure diamonds are always mounted on 18 carat gold. If the diamonds are mounted on 20, 22, 24 carat gold then you think that those are not pure diamonds.
    I am too big fan of diamonds[​IMG]
    My aunty has diamond jewelleries which are 60 to 70 years old and they just look awesome even today.....
    I am always behind her, sell them for me.....hehehehe but she doesn't.

7. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

When you buy diamonds make sure you get the right color.
    In olden days jewelers who did diamond work were rare and they only used diamonds with good colors of D, E, F and G. I realised this when I got my grandmoms earrings appraised which is a F G color range. My grand mom wore it everyday and has never gotten it reset. Of course she would remove it while oiling and washing her hair. She would leave them in the powder box. The reason is oil and dirt abosrb powder and it cleans well when you just wipe off the powder from the jewelery.
    Any way now, You see diamond merchant jewelers in every street corner. Most of them use low color quality like G, H, I which doesnot have that much gliter. Only in the stores showcase it gliters well due to the lights.
    Good colors are expensive and maybe specially ordered from good well know Jewelers. But it is worth the investment.

8. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Puni did they do that in front of you?

9. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I got it cleaned in front of me.
    I did it in Krishnaiah & Shetty showroom in Bangalore.
    I usually buy from there.

10. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Yeah I limited my budget for diamonds for one lakh only as I am still not much into diamonds :),even now I am buying because my mother is compulling and buying it for me,I also cancelled buying diamond bangles for me. I also own a lot of gemstone jewellery that I am soooo tired of them all that I am strictly buying only gold items with not even dull finish or antique work now for the past few years.

My mom bought a diamond stud in the 80s for Rs.40,000 and that is a real diamond I would say :)