1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Where can i get Shikakaai with herbals - in chennai

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Cindhuja, May 6, 2009.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Have heard that some supermarkets sell raw shikakaai with some herbals and related ingredients such as dried hibiscus, methi, green gram, soap nut etc together as a pack. Which we are supposed to grind in a flour mill.

Tried in "Reliance" and "More" supermarket, but wasnt able to find it. have anybody of you come across it? If so please share here the details.

I like meera powder but such a small pack costs 45+ which gets over for me in very few washes. So thought this method would be ideal and healthy too.

Help me regarding the details. Thanks.

Last edited: May 6, 2009

2. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Cindhuja,

i was using one Brand called Silkesha before comming to US, its usually available in Ayurvedic Shops. it was excellent for hair and as the name says it did make my hair very silky and soft. It is also mixture of shikakai,amla and lots of other herbal items. Though this one is also expensive(80 Rs for a tall bottle) but was defn worth it.

Now even i use Meera for my hair, but have seen methd for making herabl wash at home in Chitvish Index.

Hope this helps

3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Cindhuja,

You can get raw items in almost all the grocery shops (supermarket) ... (One complete bundle in a plastic pack) and add the necessary ingredients as per your choice and then make a powder in a flour mill (they will grind on one particular day only, I remember my mother does for me too ) !

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi vaidehi and gowri..thanks for the details..

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

I get it from a parlour in my area. A packet costs Rs.60 and comes for about 10 washes. It is not commercially sold anywhere, and is marketed only to customers here.If you are interested, let me know.

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi archana,

I'll try in the nearby store recommended sadhana...if not will sure get back to you. Meanwhile may i know in which area the parlour is put up...Just to know the distance nothing else...Thanks.

7. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Cindhuja,
    you can get shikakaai with herbals in salam stores pondy bazaar. they have dried hibiscus flowers, shikakaai everything in it. you have to have ground with something i guess which they will tell you. i have no idea how much it costs though.
    Hansika

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

It is at velachery. It is a home preparation and is not commercially available. I guess it can be couriered to you or you can come and get it too!

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi archana,

For the past 2 days i was really busy in office...so wasn't able to go to the shop recommended by Sadhana...If you don't mind could you please message me the details about the parlour, coz it is just 10 mins travel from my office to Velachery.Thanks.

10. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Hi, I have seen Shikakaai and soap nut with green gram as one packet in all Niligiris shops. But I don't think they have dried hibiscus and methi. you can buy dried hibiscus, aavaram poo etc from any naatu marunthu kadai and dry them in sun before giving it to the shop to grind.

regards,
    lalitha