1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Anarkali salwar top

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by artvani, May 24, 2011.

1. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Anarkali salwar top has two portions, bodice portion and skirt portion.It is figure-hugging till the upper torso and below that, it turns into a frock and gets a lot of flare.Length of the bodice will be up to lower border of the ribcage . Anarkali suits are worn with churidars . This dress can be stitched with plain sleeve, ¾ sleeve, full sleeve or sleeveless. Skirt can be gathered,pleated , flared , half circular or circular.
    Circular cut skirt is also called umbrella skirt. There will be no side seams and no gathers in the waist.It requires material with wider width. If material with wider width is not available it can also be stitched by joining two pieces together such that joint comes at the back of the skirt.Anarkali dress looks good if it is stitched with flowing material like chiffon
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]method of drafting[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Measurements need[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Chest
    Waist
    Shoulder
    Bodice length- measured from shoulder line near the neck to the lower border of the ribcage. (depends upon one's taste also )
    Full length - from shoulder line to bottom of the dress.
    Sleeve length
    Sleeve round

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Body front and back[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

A-E =Bodice length +1"
    A-D =¼ chest -1”
    Draw perpendiculars from the points A, D, and E
    A-B =½ shoulders + ¼”
    A-K = Neck width =1/12th chest or to taste
    A-L =Back neck depth =1¾” or to taste
    A-M = front neck depth 1/8th chest or to taste
    D-F =¼ chest +1½” (if loose fitting is needed 2 “to 2½” can be added)
    Mark point S on D-F such that D-S =A-B. Join B-S. On this line mark N such that S-N = 1½”
    N-O = ¾”
    Mark T on B-S such that B-T = 1”. Join K-T. Shape back neck K-L, front neck K-M as shown.
    Shape front arm scye T-N-F and Back arm scye T-O-F
    E-G =D-F and G-I =½”. Join F-I
    Mark U on E-G such that E-U = 1/12th chest+ 1/2"
    P-U= length of the dart = 1/6th chest

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Skirt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

B-D =1/6th waist
    A-D=Full length -bodice length +1½”
    From B draw perpendicular B-C.
    B-E =B-D and E-C = A-D Shape D-E and A-C as shown in the figure

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sleeves[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    A-B = Sleeve length[/FONT]
    B-J =1½” or 1" for folding
    Draw perpendiculars from A, B and J.
    A-C = ¼ chest -1” . A-C =B-D. Join C-D
    Mark L on the line A-C such that A-L =1” .
    Mark E on the line D-C such that E-C = ½ of A-C
    B-I = ½ sleeve round + 1”
    J-K=1/2" more than B-I .
    Join I-E and I-K Join E-L. G is mid- point of E-L.
    H-G = 3/4 “.Draw a line E-F perpendicular to E-C such that E-F = = 2” Join E-F-L and E-H-L. As shown

Cut the draft along the line K-T-O-F-I-S-H-J-C-R-E-D-M-L-K.Separate the sheets. Keep one aside. This is the draft of the kameez back. In the other portion cut the front neck shape K-M and front scye shape T-N-F.
    Cut the sleeves draft along the line A-B-J-K-I-E -H –L-A. Open the fold .Cut the front sleeve shape E-F-L-A Draft of the sleeves is ready.
    Layout

[FONT=&quot]Place the draft prepared on the fabric as shown in the lay out and cut the different parts . While cutting the bodice back an extra extension of 1½” is added along the line L-E for button stands( shaded area). If the material is not wide enough ¼” of the extension is added for seams along the line L-E and while stitching separate pieces are attached.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]skirt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Skirt is generally cut without a seam at the circumference if the material if wide enough. When the width of the material is not wide enough same material can be joined at one side. While stitching care must be taken to keep the joint at the back.
    Step 1[/FONT]
    Place the draft on the material and mark the outline. Mark the place A –B where extra piece to be added.

Step 2

[FONT=&quot]Cut the extra piece of material beyond the outline.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Attach it along the line A-B taking care to match the grain.
    Step 3[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Stitching[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

1. Stay stitch neck line, Shoulders, armscyes and top of the sleeves.
    2. Stitch button stands (Plackets)
    3. Stitch darts of width ¼ “
    4. Stitch neck by giving piping or flat facing or fitted facing
    5. Hem the sleeve edges.
    6. Stitch the sides of the sleeves and sides of the bodice.
    Measure the waist.
    7. Cut a slash of 3” in the waist line of the skirt .Stitch it with continuous bound placket.
    Measure the waist of the skirt. It should be equal to the waist of the skirt.
    8. Attach the skirt to the bodice.
    9. Finish the Curved bottom of the skirt by hemming

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Attached Files: