1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing neck of a garment with fitted facing-- preparing facing

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by artvani, Dec 19, 2010.

1. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Fitted facing is also called shaped facing.In this method, facing is cut in the same shape of the neck. We can tell it is the duplicate of the shape of the neck. The edge that is to be stitched to the neck line has the same contour of the neck .The other edge of the facing is usually parallel to the edge to be stitched to the neck. Sometimes it can be of different shape. Almost all the types of neck can be stitched by this method. It gives a very good finish.
    It is better if the facing is prepared from the same material as the garment. If the material is not wide enough pieces can be joined taking care of the grains. Seams should be opened and pressed.
    Place the draft of front and back of the bodice on a sheet of paper as shown in the (figure 1)step 1 and mark the neck line and shoulder lines (green dotted lines). Remove the draft. Mark the other edges of the facing curve A-B-C .This curve can be of the shape of the neck as in step 2 or different as in step 2a. .If it follows the shape of the neck the width of the facing should be same all over. Cut along the line A- B-C. (Step 3)Open the folds (Step 4) we get drafts of front neck facing, right back neck facing and left back neck facing.
    Using these drafts cut facing pieces
    Continued........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

2. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Method of attaching facing to the Garment

Stay stitch the neck of the garment and the facing,
    Stitch shoulder seams of the garment and the facing keeping the same seam allowance. Open the seams and press. (Figure 2)
    Fold the lower edge of the facing by ¼” and press. Keep the facing flat on the garment, right sides together, matching the shoulder lines and the contour of the neck. Baste them together. Machine stitch on the seam line. Trim the seam by ¼”. Clip the curved edges and cut the corners a little, taking care not to cut the stitching. (Figure 3 )
    Press the seams towards facing secure them by understitching on the right side of the facing.Turn the facing inside on the seam line such that facing is not visible from the right side and it lies flat on the garment.Press.Secure the facing against the garment with short hemming stitches Figure 4

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  3. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

very very useful thread...........Mam, can yo post a thread on how to increase one's speed in cutting! I feel that I'm dead slow and still I make mistakes.................lack of concentration..........:bonk:bonk:bonk

4. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Finish all your house work, send your children to school send your husband to office, have cup of nice coffee and start sewing:coffee. Always prepare drafts.Mark seam allowance in the draft itself if it is not included.Mark right sleeve and left sleeve .start sewing........Phone starts ringing now........... I used to do cutting in the night .Do not worry in the beginning it happens .After words it will be easy....:thumbsup

2 people like this.
  5. rajivenugopal

rajivenugopal Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    very informative
    thanx for sharing
    raji.

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear,
    Madam,
    Thanks for the tutorial will you pls teach me how to sew a round neck also any tips on cutting the neck when i sewed one I found that the neck was too deep.....
    Madam also tell me how to attach decorative borders of a dress material as neck borders...Thank You

Will you please tell me which is the dress that we should stitch (for self) for beginners.... n give us tips tricks...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vani

Useful tutorial with suitable pictures. thanks for sharing.

andal

8. Jara

Jara New IL'ite

Madam
    I have been tailoring for quite a few years now but even now, the round neck still poses a lot of bother form me, be it for garment or even for drafting. The same applies to armhole round, could you give some precise tips or measurements to overcome this problem?
    Thanking you in advance
    Ja Ra

9. gladiolus

gladiolus Bronze IL'ite

Very much useful instructions. Thanks for sharing!

10. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Artvani my salute to you dear sis your instructions are soo useful to me as I always have problem with this part thank you so much you are a blessing to us :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

1 person likes this.