1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instructions

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sunkan, Aug 27, 2005.

1. jobinjaya

jobinjaya New IL'ite

How to Sew Patiala Salwar

1. Obtain approximately three yards of material. Light cotton works best for your first attempts... but most light weight fabrics would work.
    2.Prewash your fabric and dry it. Iron if necessary.

3.Fold the fabric in half the long way...
    4. Mark off two 45 inch lengths of folded material.
    5. Cut the two 45 inch lengths. You should have around 6 inches left over for later use as ankle and waist bands with ties for closure.
    6. Measure your hips. 7. Measure your ankles.
    8.Transfer measurements as shown
    Transfer HALF the hip measurement To the "top edge" of the pants and add 5 inches. Mark the spot with a pin or tailors chalk.
    9. Transfer the ankle measurement to the "bottom edge" of the pants. Mark this spot with a pin or tailors chalk.
    10. Measure down along the "open edge" approximately 12 inches. This will be the front flap closure and the back seam later on. Mark the 12 inch mark with pins or chalk.
    11. Cut the diagonal line from the ankle measurement to the bottom of the front opening.
    12. Set aside the four resulting triangles to use later as gussets.
    13. Line up each selvedge edge of the gusset with diagonal cut line at the top end or "crotch".
    14.Turn gusset around and sew its selvedge edge to the angled edge
    With right sides together, sew each triangular gusset to one side of a pant leg.
    15. Repeat for each gusset (4 seams total).
    16.Stitch up the gussets to the pant leg on either side.
    Sew the insides of the legs together.
    17. Gusseted legs ready to sew along crotch line.
    Turn the pieces right side out.
    18. Pin the two legs together at the crotch with right sides facing and seams aligned.
    19. Sew the two legs together along the crotch, leaving the front open for a flap closure. (you can put in a zipper if you like, but a flap is usually sufficient.)
    o You should now have a HUGE pair of pants that is at least TWICE your size. The next step is to gather or pleat those huge openings down to your actual size, creating the traditional "poufy" look.
    20. Pleat the ankle openings to fit your ankle. Pin or baste the pleats into place and test fit.
    21. Use a seam ripper to open the ankle seam up again.
    22. Place the strip of cloth for your ankle cuff/tie strap around your ankle and hold the ends together. Pinch them down to mark your ankle placement in the center of the strap. Mark with pins or chalk.
    23. Sew the ends of your ankle cuff/tie strap closed, leaving the center area between the pins open for sewing to the bottom of the pant leg.
    24. Turn the ties right side out. (hint: mitering the corner seam first will make them look better when turned.)
    25. With right sides together, Sew one edge of the center of your cuff/tie strap to the pleated (or gathered) bottom of your pant leg.
    26. Fold the remaining edge to the inside of the pant leg and hand sew it to the inside to complete your cuff/tie.
    27. Repeat for the other leg.

Add pleats and waist/ankle bands with ties.
    29. Pleat the waist opening to fit your waist. Pin or baste in place.

30. Waist band / ankle bands with tie ends.
    Add a waistband/tie to the waist opening in the same manner that you completed the ankle cuffs. The only difference is that you will have a MUCH larger opening, and therefore may need a much longer strap... (should be the length of your waist plus 14-20 inches on each end for the tie strap.)

31. Leave open for snaps or buttons or even a zipper.
    Add snaps, zipper or buttons to the front flap closure if desired.

32Sketch of finished pants.
    Added by SushmaVarala:
    For further details please refer to the link How to Sew Patiala Salwar - wikiHow

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  2. mayru

mayru New IL'ite

kajori salwar

Hi everyone i have just joined today and am ready to post my question to you all .I would like to now how do you cut and stich a kajori salwar
    i think that's what its called? in london we do not have any designs for salwar apart from patiala which has been around for over 4 years and am gone sick of it so i need more salwar designs from india .please can you give me some designs and post your salwar pics i will really appreciate it

3. gsp

gsp New IL'ite

anarkali salwar stitching method

Can anyone send me how to prepare anarkali salwar pattern?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. gsp

gsp New IL'ite

anarkali salwar stitching method

Can anyone give the cutting pattern for anarkali suits?

5. pnvgr

pnvgr New IL'ite

Patiala dress stitching pattern

Hi,

I am new to this site and it is very good. I wanted to know the stitching pattern for Patiala dresses. Please tell me the cutting and stitching pattern with only filts in the upper portion.

6. sangeethav

sangeethav New IL'ite

Salwar neck patterns

Hi ,

I know basic salwar stitching technique.I wish to go for a broad U neck.It should not be loose in the shoulder part.It shoud stay fit and armhole should be correct.Anyone knows the technique.:cheers

7. rupambika

rupambika New IL'ite

Hi

Hello,:hiya

I am Rupambika from Goa. I think this is a good site and will help me to a great extent...

Can anyone please help in finding sewing pattern for kameez? I have learnt sewing and have stitched about 4 salwar kameezs till date, but I am not able to give a proper shape/ curve to my kameez. It turns out to be flat. I would like to know how to give a proper shape. People told me to take natural waist length but I dont know how to. If I could get a proper pattern.. it would be very helpful... :help

8. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar - Kameez, Chudidhar, Punjabi Dress Instructio

Hi Friends,

There have been lot of requests for drafting a patiala salwar. I recently learnt and stitched one for myself and it has come out very well. So I thought of sharing the same with you all.

I am presuming that before you try, you have some knowledge about sewing and drafting salwars.

Please find the instructions in the attachment and let me know if you have any problems in understanding. This is the first time I have compiled a notes like this.

I genuinely suggest that you try out the drafting on a paper and then on some old or not very expensive material. If you are satisfied then try on material of your choice.

Hope it is helpful to all you enthusiasts here.:)

Attached Files:

gggg likes this.
  9. Humera

Humera New IL'ite

how i can stitch shalwar kameez?

hi dear!
    i want to know that how i can stitch my own shalwar kameez.as i don't know how to use patterns.please can neone of you guide me fully to stitch my first shalwar and kameez?

10. anjalin

anjalin Senior IL'ite