1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instructions

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sunkan, Aug 27, 2005.

1. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instruction

Hi Sabari,

First of all, very nice pattern, pleasant color of the nightie. The fan sleeves, look very elegant with the piping. I liked the overcoat idea the best, specially with the tie - on. I am sure this looks very fashionable when worn. In total its truly excellent (not trying to flatter). The only thing I felt the nightie looks very long ( you do not seem to be so tall in the other nightie photo).

One more point, the white lace adds a designer touch too.
    Thanks for sharing, and expecting more such works from you. All the best.

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instruction

hi sunitha,Fan sleeve piping. It is not piping. It is the decorative stitch- satin / zigzag stitch. I used the zigzag stitch , bringing the length to almost minimal and used an embroidery thread [ wt 40] and the bobbin thread has to be light too. So, i used the overlock / serger thread. This serger thread works fine for decorative stitches. the tension is perfect while using them.
    overcoat idea- i copied this fashionable idea from burdastyle. i am a member there too, with no contribution so far, but i like their patterns.

nightie is not long. it came back from the dryer and i didn't have time to iron it . so it looks crinkled. it has to be width of the lace as in pic . 1 . And, of all , thank u for all y'r comments. in fact , u instrigated my passion for this fan sleeve again.

If u hadn't asked i wudn't have tried this pattern again. I thought i was too old to wear such garments. But, i liked to redo the things that i have tried on my own and made them successful. it was u , who triggered this idea. kudos to u.

thank u,

3. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sabari,

Thanks and it feels good to be an inspiring source to someone who is creative like you.

I liked that idea of the decorative satin stitch with a serger thread. Something new that I have learnt today.

4. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunitha and Sabari

I have been following the exchange of ideas between you 2 and the guidance you have providing to all members. Can you give me the detailed procedure of attaching piping on necklines and sleeves, - things like what is the width of the bias cloth you attach. Someone once told me that you have to stretch the bias strip while attaching it to get a neat finish - is that so? I also want to know how to make the piping appear uniformly wide on the right side, the way tailors do - the ones I stitch are broad in 1 place and very narrow in another. I am sorry for troubling you with so many questions - but I'll be very thankful for any help.
    Revathi

5. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

sunitha,

everybody is creative. it depends on how brave u are to try and spoil as many clothes before u could standardise and to an extent master them. One success leads to another and u learn how to adjust and rectify a mistake, before it becomes a blunder.

i am happy that we are learning with all of us. That was new to me as well. i learnt just a few weeks back with googling and then applying onto my patterns.

6. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi revathi,

If ppl really benefit from this , that is waht we want.piping procedure - tutorial why don't u google it and u might find v. good articles. " To stretch the bias strip while attaching it to get a neat finish" - well, i don't know. but, whichever method u follow, pls follow the nuances correctly and u'll get it. Stick to 1 method and follow it to the T. Once u have mastered, look at other methods if u feel like .

to make the piping appear uniformly wide on the right side - it comes by practice. To make the piping finish clear, i also hem the edges on the wrong side.

7. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

I agree with you Sabari. Sewing requires lot of trials and errors and the learning there by. You really need to have the patience to try and try till you attain perfection atleast in sewing ones own dresses - whatever it may be.

This forum indeed has helped to lot in this direction, by way of sharing the ideas. Thanks to IL and all the friends here.

8. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Revathi,

I learnt piping from the various sources on web. Youtube has videos for this. Corded piping - I must have tried so many times - all with waste, leftover cloths, before trying on my dresses. I am still not perfect at it when it comes to handling the corners and curves. I would only suggest that you practice and then you will learn your way that you will be comfortable. But yes, bias cloth is used for piping the neclikes because it gives a stretch and takes the shape of the curves easily. Also, not all the time the piping needs to be stretched I guess (not sure).

So happy practice and learning.

9. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Sabari and Sunitha
    Thanks for your prompt reply - I understand that there is no shortcut to Hard Work!!!!!!!!! Shall follow your advice of practice, practice and more practice!!!
    Revathi

10. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

sure revathi,

u at least have a few pioneers who have failed umpteen no. of times. So, u know u are not alone. From whatever sunitha has replied abt stretching the bias - my answer wud be pls don't stretch when using a bias cloth. Note that, bias itself means it is a cross -piece and has the maximum elasticity and stretchability. Just apply non-stretching and i'm sure u'll be successful.

Also, pls do tack before u take it to the sewing machine. U'll get a v. neat finish. And, finally ironing [ which i seldom do] gives a royal look.

As sunitha said abt corded piping - it is the easiest method of piping. This is a foolproof method. Thank u Sunitha, for pointing out this method. All the best. Do post y'r queries if u still have any.