1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

advise needed on sewing machine

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by nandhinipj, Jun 19, 2014.

1. nandhinipj

nandhinipj New IL'ite

Hi

I am looking for a hand held sewing machine for a very basic use. Let me know which brand is cheap and best for this in the U.S. I am going to use it just for attaching sleeves to the kurtis and to resize my kurtis which are a bit loose fitting for me. By the way I am new to sewing.
    Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Hand held means what??Does it mean the one that is run by hand and not motor???If you mean the one that looks like a hand held stapler...those don't work.
    If you mean those really small mini machines...they don't work well either.

Buy the very basic non motorized one .If you do plan to sew for a long time...then invest in a good one.

3. nandhinipj

nandhinipj New IL'ite

Thanks 4 the immediate reply. I meant the stapler like one. Can u tell me the brand name as I am very new to sewing. Can u tell me how can I alter my kurtis?

4. diamantyna

diamantyna Bronze IL'ite

i dont really recommend a stapler sewing machine to attach sleeves or resize, those machines are only to make small fixes, you need a basic sewing machine for what you want to do. i recommend brother and singer brands, both have very good basic machines for very affordable prices. you must get one.
    and what kind of alterations do you want to make to your kurtis?

5. satvanti

satvanti New IL'ite

hai,I want to buy a new machine,i have singer fashion maker 8280,but i want more embroidery and foots.my sewing teacher ask me for usha my style or usha magic stitch but i am little bit confused,that which brand is best singer or usha.please help me.:confused2: