1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Sewing Machine - Embroidery / Normal

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by Mallika29, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chitra_lekha

chitra_lekha Bronze IL'ite

which sewing machine is best?

hi
    i am planning on getting a sewing machine from abroad.
    can you tell me which one is best.......i thought of Brother but my cousin says it's a cheap model. which would you all suggest.
    CL

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Re: which sewing machine is best?

Singer will be the best. My mom has one in India and I have one here from 6 yrs.You can try it.If you decide to get it, get one with lots of features as all Singer models have quite a few anyways.Good Luck.

3. archu1981

archu1981 Silver IL'ite

try to go for singer ...advanced model with some 100+ stitches which is very nice and u can have 25 yrs of serviecing worldwide.......and some models are having embriodery also...try to search in singer web site...and brither is like after 3-4 yrs it starts giving troubles....singer is the one with world wide so try to search....

4. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

My vote is also for Singer. I own the imported model of Singer fashion maker. My suggestion is instead of buying it from abroad, you buy the imported model from the showroom in chennai / India. That way servicing and spares replacement if any will be easier. In the long run, Singer is hassle free, although in the initial years (2-3) you feel that Brother or Janome seem to better with less noise.

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    i have been using Janome for a long time i love it , mum has singer with the staright stitch only, so she says the straight stitch in singer is the best and i too feel singer machine is the best so i would go for the latest singer
    alpa:cheers

6. meyyammai

meyyammai Gold IL'ite

hi chitra..............even i prefer singer machine i own a singer machine nearly 13 years i feel that is good :cheers

7. chitra_lekha

chitra_lekha Bronze IL'ite

i have been thinking of buying a janome or a bernette 92c or 82e. even they are also expensive. the thing is i am a complete novice when it comes to sewing. i have only seen them and didn't even touch one till now.
    i was thinking of buying a singer machine but they don't have the speed control lever.
    what i require is a machine which has electronic speed control instead of controlling the speed with the aid of a foot pedal.
    the ones with electronic speed control are brother cs6000i, janome 8077 and bernette 92c or 82e from bernina series. all these companies have their service centers in india. also one of my friends mother has the brother cs6000i. which costs abt $180 in usa. and which costs about 27,000 in india.
    pls all of you suggest which one to buy.

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Singer will be a good choice.I had learnt basic sewing in India from my mom. It was an old model with hand movement.But here the machine I took is foot pedal. You can learn by trial and error. Singer works well for that. Even with foot pedal u can control the stitch speed here with hand movement till you learn to use foot pedal efficiently.The Singer machine I have costed me 110 then which is now maybe 75 $.
    Also try enrolling in a sewing class.They teach you how you can efficiently work with your sewing machine there.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  9. Chandra25

Chandra25 Bronze IL'ite

hi
    chitra,I am using janome and there are more latest models from brother,Try them.

10. mjsaroj

mjsaroj Senior IL'ite

Singer Machine Models

Hi,

I learned tailoring but now its almost 6 years gap , now i am in abroad so i want to buy a sewing machine from singer , can u tell which model is best , I need embroidery designs atlest (50) , button holer it is the main for me. I visited lot of sites i want some clear idea which is the best.

What about brother sewing machine