Cbse schools -the new grading system

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by Shanvy, Feb 7, 2010.

What do you feel about the new grading system

1. Good. I am happy about the changes

52.4%
  2. No. This will not help the student.

33.3%
  3. So-So. this will fizzle out.

4.8%
  4. I am not bothered.

9.5%
  1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

For all those who are planning your vacations, and people who are returning to india, and also to other parents,

Cbse has changed the academic terms periods. some of the schools have already issued notice/circulars regarding the new pattern. if you have received one please do share it here so that others who are not aware will also find it useful.

I had been to a meeting last september regarding the change, but did not want to write about it till there was something concrete happening.
    to quote my kids' school the new CCE will focus on scholastic and co scholastic activities. Scholastic areas would include work experience, art education, general knowledge and computer science. The bigger challenge would be grading students on thinking and emotional skills, attitude towards teachers, schoolmates and public property.

So what is the new pattern..

Two terms :

There will be only two terms from the academic year 2010-11. april-sept is one term and the second term will be from october-march. the summer vacations starts at the end of april and the school reopens in the first/second week of june according to the school.

The grading system..:

The new system of evaluation is called CCE - Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation, and it is based on grades. there are two assessment done. one the formative and the other summative over the two terms.

In the first term, there will be two formative assessments of 10% each and single summative assessment of 20%. In the second term also a similar format will be adopted. Formative assessment will carry 40% marks and summative assessment 60% marks.

Formative assessment evaluates and grades the classwork, project works, assignments.
    Each evaluation will carry 10% and there will be 2 of them spread in the first terms. so it is 20%
    And in the second term there will a formative assessment that carries 40%

Summative Assessment is based on the exams at the term end. and the exams follow a pattern prescribed by the board.

The first term-end exam will carry 20 %

The second term-end exam will carry 40%

Each grade, given on the basis of both formative and summative assessments, will correspond to a range of marks. the table attached gives an idea.

Though the board says the grading is specially for the ix and the xth. most of the schools are trying to follow the same from the 6th.

You can also opt for an exam on demand, if you feel, the need that your child should attempt the board exams.

the other problem, that arises after the 10th, kids moving into stateboards. For the purpose, the schools are asked to give a certificate (CCE report) with the marks making it easier to try for admission,

for the last term, my kids' and some of my friends' kids' schools had more project works, experiments and things.. There is a lukewarm response from a percentage of parents for the same.

According to this evaluation, if a child is not able to secure pass percentage in a subject, but has good track record, non-scholastic record, he goes to the next class. net result is there will not be any failure's upto the tenth.

the first batch of students' who do not have the board exams will be the present 9th standard, so we need to wait to see if there will be problems..

and i am more :spin:drowning as my DD will be the first batch. i hope all the confusions and creases are ironed out before 2011.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

2. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Re: Cbse schools - Info.

Dear Shanthi,

Thank you for starting this thread. It is very informative and useful to students and parents who are going to have the new system in the schools.

Also, i have heard in some schools, the next academic year starts in this April itself and the summer vacation will be in May only. Is this also a part of the new system?

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

manju,

How are things with you. long time no see. so how is your dd enjoying school.

I have mentioned the new term system in my post. yes the term starts in april like in most kv schools.

previously the board used to conduct exams for some of the regions separately and now for the purpose of uniformity all over the world i think this system is being followed.

Already teachers are being given training to understand the new system.

my dd class teacher asked me not to book tickets this year.:rant. for our vacation this year

some schools say for kg the school will start in june only. that is the reason i wanted people to join me here and give all the info they get.

my kids' school closes around the last week of april and starts in the first week of june.

4. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

hi shanthi,
    thanks for the reply. i am a bit busy with my work and DD.so unable to write much here. DD is enjoying school. going to 1st std to Maduravoyal campus next june. All the best for your DDs transition to the new system.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Manju,

Most of the schools are closing at the same time. next academic year the 1st term starts on the 1st of April and the school closes for summer vacation on the 25th of april and opens on the 7th of june. some schools this is only for classes from v .

6. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Shanthi, I am looking forward for any change in our education system.. but do you think this change will have +ve impact on KG classes too? though KG is not tough still some addition to innovative/ creativity will add on na..

also I think summer vacation of 40 days is way too less for childen below 9th std. wat do you think? just few months back, I heard schools are going to close down by end of March every year. does that hold good for children in lower classes?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. Antu601

Antu601 Senior IL'ite

hi shaanvy,
    i am glad you started this thread:thumbsup
    i hope you will give us more informaion about this.
    thanks.:thumbsup:thumbsup

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

arthi,
    the syllabus is more of encouraging to apply logical skills and things. there is lots and lots creative work (again depends on the school to an extent i think)

I think the lower classes will have the classes starting only around june 15th i think. this term change is from v std right now. will definitely update if i hear otherwise.

oh arthi, i usually fly to muscat for the 2 months holidays. this year i am not going because the teachers have told me they have some plans for the 10th this year.

but this style is the one my DD's school followed when we were in delhi.

even muscat, the term is like this. the school academic gets over in march, the next one starts in april-may end. then the school opens in july 15/august 1st depending on the school.

so only when we see for atleast the next academic year we can really analyse it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

i seem to like this system generally. but i see possibilities of many schools overriding some of the specifications taking a deviation for some reason. for instance, opting for a board exam or not is parent/student's choice, but the school could mandate a certain way.

shanthi & other moms with grown-up children - we are sure you are there to guide us when in need :)

10. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi shanthi,

thanx for sharing that info.