Schools in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by jothi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I have 2 kids ages 10 and 6, i live in the US, we are planning to return to chennai april 07. I was looking at a lot of schools there. I have been out of chennai for the past 12 yrs, I would like to get some info on the schools and admission process. Does anyone have first hand info about Harishree vidyalaya and Billabong school.please I need help ladies. thanks in advance. Jothi.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai, there are lots of good schools in Chennai, you must be knowing that, There are the convents like Women's Christian College School in Nungambakkam, Church Park Convent etc. for girls and also the Don Bosco in Egmore, the DAV schools in may parts of the city. Also there is an international school also in Chennai now. Mostly the admissions are in January. If you have somebody here, ask them look up. If you need further help, do let us know.

3. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

hi

there are many good schools in chennai.Padma Seshadri school has its branches in T.nagar and K,k.nagar. they take students on the basis of entance tests. there is P.S.school,Sir sivaswami kalalaya, vidya mandir schools in mylapore area. D.A.V schools has many branches in chennai like mogappier, gopalapuram etc.,there is this national school in Royapettah.in adayar area there is shisyee based in isce syllabus.sankara school based on cbse 9one adayar and other on in thrivanmayur, the school was started by the krishnamurthi foundations and hindu senoir secondary school based on the cbse syllabus. vidya amandir has branch in adyar aswell. padma seshadri school has started millenium school close to the airport . there is an american school behind tidal park in velechery. if need anymore info i will get it for u .please let me know. urs kanaka raghavan.

4. sowjvin

sowjvin New IL'ite

schools in medavakkam

I would also want to know about good cbse schools around medavakkam(velachery-tambaram road)as we will be shifting there shortly. my son is 3 and we have to put him in lkg :p . I think our:) parents never worried about schools like this

5. smitag

smitag New IL'ite

Jyoti-- I have gone through the process

I have gone through the process
    of returning to India and of getting admission.PM me and I will help you out.

6. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

thanks..

Thanks varloo and kanaka.

My kids have gone to school here in the US for the past few yrs. The teacher to student ratio is 1: 20. Most schools in chennai will defintiely have more that 45 kids in the class, which will be kind of overwlming for my kids. I am looking for good new schools where there are NRI kids like mine.I think my kids will fit in better if they see kids in the same boat as they are. If you know any schools like that pls let me know. I have heard about Billabong and Harishree vidayalaya. If you have heard more about one of these schcools pls let me know too. One more problem my kids face is second language, they dont know one....
    thanks in advance.
    jothi.

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

dear priya Saw ur post.I am inAbudhabi now and going back to india this week.My sister in law is in fact working in the primary section of Padma Seshadri school in T nagar in Chennai.Iwill find out from her all the details regarding the syllabus.It is no problem for me.I will let u know all the admission procedures as well.I will do the best in this matter. do not worry. yours affly kanaka Raghavan

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: schools in medavakkam

BHARATHI VIDYALAYA SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL 721, Sholinganallur - Medavakkam High Road,
    Perumbakkam, Cheran Nagar,Chennai - 601 302. Ph: 2246 0144 / 2246 1122

D.A.V. PUBLIC SCHOOL Sitaram nagar, Velachery, Chennai - 600 042.

ST. BRITTO'S ACADEMY 3/3, Netaji road, Nehru nagar, Velachery, Chennai. Ph: 2224 7514 www.stbrittos.com

Hope this is useful.. i have two kids daughter is 11+ and son is 9. going to 7th and 4th.

9. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,

Thankyou so mcuh for your help. I have already registered my children in Billabong international. They have promised seats for my children, moreover their system of education seems more in line with the american system. I am going to keep them there for a year and see how it goes and them may be switch them to Padma Seshadri next year. I would love for them to go to PSBB. Thanks for your help.

Jothi.

10. jayakrish

jayakrish New IL'ite

Hi Jyothi,

Billabong is a good choice, I live in the US and I was in Chennai last november looking for schools for my kids 4 & 8. I went to Vaels billabong and it was really :goodidea: different . My kids loved the school on first sight. The teachers were all young and the classes were set up almost like the way they do it here. No textbooks and they have a lot of extra curricular activities as part of their curriculum . I was really impressed to say the least . It would make the trasition very easy for the kids .
    Good luck.