Schools- What are you looking for in an International or Indian School for your Child

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by U.S.MOM, Apr 2, 2008.

1. U.S.MOM

U.S.MOM New IL'ite

Please post your comments about your expectations in ref to International Schools and Indian Schools in India.

What would make the perfect school for your child!

2. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Re: Schools- What are you looking for in an International or Indian School for your C

Hi US MOM

I should say this is a very subjective topic. Here are my views. International schools could give your child a smooth transition, from the western ambience to the local Indian standards, even though most of these international schools are money minded like you had said in yoru feedback about Vels Billabong.
    Although a question does arises, whats wrong with the local indian standards??? There is nothing wrong with them, didnt we study there? arent indian born kids studying there?... well yes, they are... but the only difference is what has been exposed to kids born outside India, they are all used to seeing cleaner bathrooms, cleaner class rooms, smaller class sizes etc... While we cant do anything about the roads, pollution etc etc, we do have a choice in this matter, to put them in a International school for the first few years and then when they are more used to the place, move them on to Local Indian schools..............Again this is only my personal view and what I have heard from friends who recently r2i.
    Cheers
    Sky98

3. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Re: Schools- What are you looking for in an International or Indian School for your C

Hi,

You are right about the Indian standards being pretty good. But offlate, that is being over-emphasized and the sole goal of many Indian schools seems to be 'marks in the final examination'! In the process, schooling becomes a drudgery for children and parents alike. I am seeing kids slogging even during vacation times, esp those going to 10th and 12th and taking exams every other week. Due to peer pressure, the kids have to slog it out and ensure that they score decently in these exams. And the pattern of testing here leaves a lot to be desired. In this area, I find schools offering international board and those with open board better.

For me, the major reason for going for an open board or an international school is the 'less emphasis' on exams and more emphasis on 'interactive and enjoyable learning'. Though there are reviews, they are usually surprise ones and are designed to test the understanding rather than 'rattofying and spitting out'.

Another reason for my staying away from many schools offering Indian boards is that, somehow, they bring in that feeling that only engineering and medicine are decent professions. Rarely, do you see children getting exposed to the merits of other careers.

I have to admit that some schools are trying to change with respect to all this and I believe that this has to go through a cycle and come back!

Cheers,

Sumathy

4. bedazzled

bedazzled New IL'ite

Hi sumathy
    Thank you for your inputs. We are planning to relocate next year. Our daughter is a first grader now and doesnt enjoy pure academic programs( she is in one now and doesnt enjoy a whole day filled with worksheets) . Any recommendations for school where more emphasis is on extra curricular activities and hands on learning . Also a school that doesnt pay too much importance to Marks and results. I studied in one such school and hated it.