Comparision between Sunshine and Srujana Montessori Schools...

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by vijikathir, Feb 2, 2010.

1. sumihari

sumihari New IL'ite

Hi Sasi

I am new to IL. We are moving from Chicago to Velachery as well in mid july. I have a daughter 6 1/2 , she will join 2nd grade

Was it difficult to get admission in Sunshine. Sorry I have been reading to many threads and am confused but Do they offer Hindi or French as second Lang and from which grade?

Any feedback you can provide will be appreciated thanks

Sumi

2. ramsi95050

ramsi95050 New IL'ite

Since its a new school, admission should be easy. I think upto 4th or 5th the kids have to learn both Tamil and Hindi after which you can choose between Tamil or Hindi for 2nd but 3rd language French is compulsory.

My younger one goes to LKG in Sunshine Montessori campus and other one joined 4th grade. So far its been fine. Kids seem happy.

3. lax2009

lax2009 New IL'ite

We just moved to Chennai from Tennessee last week. After looking at several schools, finally visited Sunshine today. They have seats available. Their building construction is still going on, but one floor is already functioning and next floor starts next week. We will be admitting our child in first grade.

Have you already found place to live? We are yet to start looking, so just wondering if you can share that information. We are looking at 3/4 BHK closer to the school.

4. Lakshmi57

Lakshmi57 New IL'ite

Sunshine School - Need some inputs

Hi,

I saw a number of good reviews about this school. Considering that this school is sponsored/managed by Mrs. Stalin is it reasonable for me to assume that there would be the typical DMK stuff in that school.

For eg,

1. Discrimination against hindus, brahmins etc
    2. Focus on atheism
    3. Discrimination against languages other than Tamil
    I don't want to make a big list here but i would be keen to hear inputs from others in this space.

Thanks
    Lakshmi

5. ramsi95050

ramsi95050 New IL'ite

Re: Sunshine School - Need some inputs

Lakshmi, my son studies there and its a brand new school. I don't see any discrimination, there is moral science as a subject, and they have both Tamil and Hindi and from 5th grade they have French - so no problem with languages. I really liked the current principal and they way she handled the open house was admirable.

6. Lakshmi57

Lakshmi57 New IL'ite

Hi Ramsi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Being a Hindu and a brahmin, i was a bit worried about these.

I am glad to hear that you don't find any discrimination here.

I noticed from their website, that French is a third language and can't be take as a second language. One of the problems in growing up in a foreign country is that the kids do not learn things other than English and their mother tongue (Tamil in my case)

Choosing a language like French, makes things easier for the kids since they join in grades 4 and 5.

Thanks again.
    Lakshmi

7. huchi02

huchi02 New IL'ite

Dear All,
    Just a quick question, does this school really follow the montessori way of teaching or is it just a name-sake montessori?
    I would really appreciate your comments on this.
    Thanks in advance

8. adam

adam New IL'ite

Hi Sasi

Thanks for your inputs. We are trying to relocate from NewHampshire,US to adambakkam chennai in march/april of 2011. Since you are in adambakkam I thought you can guide us regarding the school. How do you like the sunshine school? what are the comments from your children regarding the school.

Thanks in advance
    Priya.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  9. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Re: Hi Sasi

@Shanthi and other IL's who can help,

Need a quick suggestion from you. Sunshine school has increased the school fee and admission fee this year. The term fee has been increased from Rs. 7500 to Rs. 9000 and one time fee of roughly 6K has been included which comprises the cost of uniform, books, stationery, culturals, computer usage and tour. Also they have prescribed an admission fee of 60K for LKG. LKG admissions aer being conducted like a new one and the kids already in Pre-KG have to also undergo this. As a result of which I am also entitled for this new admission fee.

The school is good so far. My daughter is happy going there. Is it wise to change schools now as the admission fee is very high? Moreover the term fee is also subject to increase every two years or so. I have not much choices though. I have applied for St.Britto's. I am yet to receive an interview call letter and I need to decide on Sunshine by tomorrow. I don't know how far I can rely ONLY upon St.Britto as I was not able to apply for other schools as this information was passed on to us parents very late and by then almost 80% of the schools have closed their applications.

Also I was told that Hindu Sr, Sec. School in Indira Nagar, Adyar will issue applications in the last week of Jan. But it is roughly 9 to 10kms from home. Will it not be tiring for the kids to travel so much? Moreover, the school vans comes to Velachery atleast 90mins before the school start time. Will this not be too much for kids?

Back to confusion!!!!! Sigh!!
    Please let me kow your feedback on this.

Thanks!
    Uma

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Uma,

I just want to tell you one thing, if it is the fees you are worried and want to shift to the other school, it is not a wise thing as the fees is almost the same. though they do not have donations, the increasing of fees by atleast 1000rs is a in thing in all these schools which are not governed by any trust. though there is not that type of a huge admission fee with them. the whole year fees should be within the 50k..i think i heard they are taking something around 10k for admission last year..but this year there is a huge demand for the school and who knows when greed overtakes..

think about the traffic/travel/bus fees..and work out the difference,too.is the term 4 months or 3 months..the children should not be forced to travel such long distance is my humble opinion. and owing to the traffic jams, most schools are revising the pick up times by 10/30 minutes in some cases, even dd's school does that. i stay within 3/5 kms zone and my kids start at 7.40 in the morning for a 9.00 clock school, and more parents have moved to the bus in the last term, as they end up going late, and are punished where bus students are excused..(not acceptable logic though)

the other option you have is modern school and the fees are nominal, though you do not have activities, it is a well reputed school..and the applications are not yet issued is what i was told.

Today, there was an ad by zee group, inviting people to be part of a the 1,00,000 crore business and the business was operating schools under its business. it is high time we stop running behind these so call great school and boy cott them. they are not privy to the hardships and sacrifices parents do to meet the fees.

let me not start...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011