P s senior secondary school, mylapore - cbse school - how good is it?

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by kavithamadhav, May 14, 2009.

1. kavithamadhav

kavithamadhav New IL'ite

We relocated to Chennai last month. Our son got admission into Class I at P S Senior Secondary School, Chennai.

Need your help/inputs regarding:

a) How good is P S Senior Secondary School when compared to its peer schools and other good schools in Chennai. Especially for Class I.
    We relocated from Hyderabad to Chennai and have taken Hindi as 2nd language. Our son does NOT know Tamil yet. Do teachers at P S converse with the students in English or do they use Tamil also at their discretion. Do the teachers encourage students to converse in English?
    How stressful will it be on the kid for not knowing Tamil (assuming that most kids will NOT talk to each other in English at Class I level - it's more of peer bonding that I'm concerned of)

Academically, this schools seems to be too good. How about extra-curricular activities?

Any inputs/experiences about Class I teachers in this school?

b) How about the teacher-student ratio in P S for Class I. How many sections are there and what is the average class strength.

c) We are in Mambalam/T Nagar area currently and P S Senior doesn't run its buses to this area. Anyone who is staying in and around these areas and whose kids are attending P S Senior Secondary School? If we have to relocate to areas where P S buses ply, which areas are recommended to stay?

Thanks in advance for your help, inputs and support.

2. rathisrini

rathisrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavitha

I am an ex student of P.S.Senior Sec. School. Consider yourself lucky for having got a seat in the school. Its pretty difficult to get a seat in this school..They are ranked at par with D.A.V.Gopalapuram, which is another good school in Chennai. These two schools teach the children logically and if your child is efficient he can stick on to this school. Teaching is very good, and they are pretty strict about academics.......weekly assignments, projects and study connected activities are the high lights of the school....If you don's want stress, then opt out of this school. If you want your child to do good academically then you can rest assure that you have put your ward in the right school.........

And reg the residence, I suggest that you shift to Mandaveli, Mylapore, Abhiramapuram or Alwarpet which are adjacent areas.

luv
    rathisrini
    :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  3. kavithamadhav

kavithamadhav New IL'ite

Thanks for the information.

Would not knowing Tamil be a disadvantage while studying at this school (I'm sure my kid will learn Tamil eventually) - This is a practical question for which I'm seeking the answer.

Any idea what the avg class strength is?

4. rathisrini

rathisrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavitha

The school offers three second languages. Hindi, Tamil and Sanskrit....You can always choose hindi as second language and sanskrit as third....I don't think learning or not learning Tamil is going to matter as far as CBSE schools are concerned....

luv
    rathisrini

5. kavithamadhav

kavithamadhav New IL'ite

6. tmjnsk

tmjnsk New IL'ite

Hi Kavitha,

How did you get the sheet for 1st grade? Normally its too hard to get in there. You just went thru normal process? Not sure in what basis they select the student.

Thanks

7. Suhaguru

Suhaguru Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rathi,

Do they encourage extra curricular activities as well or is it just studies alone?

Thanks,
    Suha

8. rgramachandran

rgramachandran New IL'ite

Thats are all great Ms rathisrini
    but how to get admission in class 11, as they say it is by mere call, you have to submit your request and there is no application being distributed

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rgr,

there are no admissions or application forms distributed by pss unless you have some clout. and also you can only put in your request, and based on that they may give you a call.

you can definitely get admission forms from arsha vidya mandir, chettinad, bala vidya mandir, shankara all of them will take kids, on provisional marks basis that is the fa4 and sa1 mark sheets in case of cbse (since the schools start 11th before the 10th results are released.)