IIT coaching in cbse schools!

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by sukal, Feb 21, 2013.

1. sukal

sukal New IL'ite

Hi friends
    my DS is starting VI next year and the school is pitching for us to join him in the IIT coaching which starts at std VI till std XII.
    any ideas if it would be helpful, not from IIT entrance perspective but in terms of knowledge gain for his usual syallabus or is it just waste of time away from his usual syllabus?
    any of your kids taking such coaching. is it possible to do this along with the syllabus year after year or they discontinue after a year or two?

2. sukal

sukal New IL'ite

no kids taking iit coaching at school?

3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sukal,

First thing is you should know your interest of your son.

Does he know now what is engineering / doctor/ lawyer / CA to name a few. The kids are to be bent upon to enter into IIT. At this tender age he wont what field he is going to choose. Don't force your interest on him. As such CBSE syllabus is good enough to get into premium engineering colleges. Also I heard that CBSE students fair well than state board students in the college. If you put him in IIT coaching now itself, it will too much of work load for him apart from doing school studies. If it is integral part then the school will balance both. Before putting him in this make sure your son is interested in this. Also check if there is option to withdraw from this after a year or so if he feels too heavy.

In my case, I put my son only in 9th std for IIT coaching, that too privately not through school - only thrice a week and 2 hrs each class. Of course his school didn't have this option. There was no much pressure at this coaching center. But he went through it fully and his understanding was good enough. At this point he was sure that he wants to choose engineering. Now, for 11th I have put in a different school where they do IIT coaching integrated with school curriculum. IIT coaching is done by FIIT-JEE. With this he saves time on going to different place for IIT coaching and for school tuition. He just goes to school and comes back. He doesn't attend any tuition for school portions. He is able to do with IIT subject coaching itself. Also school teachers guide to perform school exams and they handle practical classes. This coaching gives better understanding of subject. I am sure if he gets into IIT or not his performance at college level will be comparatively better. Generally (not a rule of thumb) Students who have studied in FIIT-JEE from school or privately are definitely performing better than the students from other coaching centers. KK Anand's SMART also are giving very good results. They also have this integrated coaching in few schools.

If the pupil attend IIT coaching separately and school separately, it is very very very difficult to balance both. Since they have to also attend tuition for school subjects, they literally don't have time to devote for everything. They have to concentrate on tuition exams, school exams, IIT coaching center exams, won't have rest even one day of the week. Finally they end up frustrated. My SIL's daughter joined like this and discontinued IIT coaching after 11th and now she is only concentrating on school and tuition for MPC. She is very focused girl, hell bent upon to get into premium college. Also she is planning to write IIT-JEE, by attending some crash course after 12th exams for writing this. She thinks, if not IIT may be she could get into one of NIITs.

Before admitting think well and do. Different options suit different persons. You are the best judge. What I have said is my opinion only.

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  4. sukal

sukal New IL'ite

Thanks Manjukps for your detailed reply.attended parents meet last saturday about this. It is integrated coaching so i guess knowledge level will go up definitely and no additional burden of after school time allocation. thats what i wanted, in depth understanding of his subjects, not about college admission. knowledge in core subjects is enough, rest will happen.

5. newsoul

newsoul Bronze IL'ite

hi Sukal, if you don't mind me asking, which school is it?

6. sukal

sukal New IL'ite

@ newsoul: velammal vidyalaya

1 person likes this.
  7. JeniFlora

JeniFlora Gold IL'ite

dear manju,

shall I know which school your son is studying?

8. sukanya1972

sukanya1972 New IL'ite

Dear Manjukps,

myself sukanya from mumbai willing to relocate to chennai this year. Searching for admission for my son in 11th std in cbse schools which impart IIT training, can u suggest a few cbse schools which train up students for IIT-JEE along with academics,
    ??
    sukanya.s