Boards ICSE/IGSCE/IB

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by srirekham, Oct 7, 2010.

1. srirekham

srirekham Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanthi:

you give a very apt information to the IL'ites here.. I request you to help me too. can you pls tell me the good ICSE (IGCSE) schools in Chennai. also, what is the difference that htey maintain when they say ICSE and IGCSE. I tried googling but could not get handsome info on this. will await your reply.. this is for my daughter who will be going to school next year. tried sishya, but could not get through as it is very late and admissions for 2013 are already full!

Thanks

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Good ICSE (IGCSE) schools in Chennai

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> srirekha,

Thanks for the compliment. i just believe knowledge is to be shared.

Do not confuse icse and igcse both are different.

ICSE is indian council for secondary education and is a board of curriculam which believes in expanding the horizons of the child.though how many schools still do that is a question i think a lot about.

igcse is the international general certificate of secondary education which is recognised internationally similar to the the o and a levels in the british curriculam.

So do understand the difference.

and cbse is again different.

icse schools in chennai are few compared to the number of cbse schools.

navadisha,
    the ashram (there are two of them.one is matriculation while the other is icse.)
    st.francis international kolapakkam, a new school.
    sishya which you are aware.
    srividhya academy, pattabiram.
    st.augustine, ullagaram.

the

3. srirekham

srirekham Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much Shanthi for the prompt reply.. if you dont mind have one more question.. any idea how St. Francis School is? and do we have ICGSE schools in Chennai? Please dont mind for the multiple questions.. just want my little one to get into good school... :)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

srirekha,

there is no good school nor bad school. yes each school comes to a close match to a certain expectation or no expectation of the parents.

francis is a new school, a little expensive and nothing much has been written about it.

I would suggest be more open about school and do not be too choosy..go wtih your mother's instinct and that never fails..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schoolgoers-and-teens/18621-school-hunting.html

5. srirekham

srirekham Bronze IL'ite

Right, i too feel the same, thanks so much for the replies..:)

Sorry for being late, had been out of town and just back to base.

6. indhusanthosh

indhusanthosh New IL'ite

hi friends,
    i am new to IL, i have 3yrs old daughter, i am planning to join her in a good igcse syllabus school in chennai. And pls tell me the list IGCSE schools available in chennai,and also give me suggessions about the lords Intl school & lalaji school and other schools in igcse syllabus if u know.

7. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

I have a query regarding IGCSE and ICSE curriculam. One of my ex colleagues who is now in gulf, wants to put his son in hostel in India (preferably chennai) to continue on IGCSE curriculam. Frankly I was not knowing anything about IGCSE until he told me, so I thought of checking this forum, for I was sure you would have given some info on this. Then I saw this thread. Now his queries are which syllabus is good in India (his son is going to 6th std) - IGCSE or ICSE? In case he opts for one, how is the switch over policy from one syllabus to other , if he later decides to shift(from IGCSE to ICSE )? Finally some good schools following IGCSE in chennai? Can you throw some light on the above?

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Radhi,

The new boards like ib, igcse came in when we started having brain gain (reverse brain drain). with lot of kids either be us born/citizens, the need to go back for their higher studies opened up gates for lot of educational institutions.

IGSCE is similar to the cbse x, icse x. and the syllabbus is spread over 9 and 10 classes.and the exams are usually in november and may. Assessment is done by two uk based boards/bodies whatever they are called. cambridge international and edexcel??

The child who completes igsce can continue in 11th in cbse/isc or move to IB (international
    Baccalaureate)

Now what differentiates igcse. in igcse, the student has the option to chose, though cbse does have lot of options to choose too, it is not yet fully followed all over the country.

Group 1: Languages (First Language, Second Language, Foreign Language, etc)
    Group 2: Humanities and Social Sciences (Geography, English Literature, History, etc)
    Group 3: Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc)
    Group 4: Mathematics (Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, etc)
    Group 5: Creative, Technical & Vocational (Accounting, Business Studies, Computer Studies, Music, etc)

The child has to study one from each group. and a c grade is a must to get the igcse. suppose the child does chose 7 subjects instead of 5 and excels in all she/he is awarded the international certificate of education (ICE) but again the subjects should be from some spefic groups i think.

Educationists say that it develops and encourages vital educational skills, including oral skills, investigative skills, problem solving, team work, recall of knowledge, and initiative and also being recognised all over the world.

IT all depends on the parents.

i still believe all the boards are independently good. it is the schools way of following the guidelines and approaches.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

When I discussed igcse, shouldn't IB follow.

IB is International Baccalaureate founded, International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO), a non-profit educational organisation based in Geneva, Switzerland and is recognised globally.

IB has three programmes leading to the awarding of ib diploma.

primary (upto class 5), middle year (6 to 10) and diploma year (11 and 12)

Again here there is a myth that IB is mainly for gifted students (well i was trying to find out about schools for gifted students,and i came across IB a fews years ago.) it is actually more practical and application-based. It has a broader spectrum of subjects that lead to all-round development.

moreover, there are not exams upto middle year..that is 10th.

but all said, i am told because of the broader spectrum, and choices, the child is tested more. i feel this is more challenging than icse/cbse because of the same reason that we feel icse is tougher than cbse.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the schools offering ib or igcse

MCTM Chidambaram Chettyar International School Of IB & IGCSE, mylapore
    Islamic international school, Nungambakkam, IGSCE

Lalaji Memorial Omega International School, kolapakkam IGCSEhttp://www.omegaschools.org - residential

Gateway American International School

The British International School