Confused about schools.......Please help.

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by oysterzzz, Oct 11, 2015.

1. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Dear all,

We may move to singapore in December. My DH is a singapore PR. The rest of us might be on a long term visa. I heard that procedure for entry into public schools in singapore is already finished for the year 2016. My kid was born in sept 2010. She is in UKG now. Is it true that for this age, she has to study UKG (K2) again, be it in public or private school(not international school). I have checked international schools and the fee for all the schools are pretty high. Only yuvabharathi intl school is ok for us fee wise, not sure about the studies. DH's office is at jurong east. We are worried about my DD's school. Please give some info about good private schools in singapore and also the fee. We have to finalize house according to school. Also is there any second language like mandarin or chinese in private schools? @AkilaMani please pour your valuable thoughts.

2. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

43 views n no reply.....:(

3. Sweetflower

Sweetflower New IL'ite

Do u check GIIS , my son not yet into school , so not sure, giis have transport too, u go to website giis singapore can have more info, heard giis and yuva bharath I almost same price, yuva bharath I only pr they can accept

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Oyester,

Welcome to SG :)

In public or private (not international) schools, 2010 born child will be registered in K2 only for school commencing 2016. Private schools will be anywhere from 200+ to 300+, tending more towards 300+.

Second language will be Mandarin / Malay, if it is an Indian private school, you may get Tamil or Hindi. Don't about the second language as the kids from other races are not overtly pressurized to learn Mandarin / Malay. My kids had to take Chinese during their kindergarten and my oldest did not have Tamil (our mother tongue at all) in her school. Still both are doing well in their mother tongue now. Also the management and teachers in kindergarten do understand the limitations the other races have with learning Chinese, so they do not pressurize/criticize or emphasis on learning it.

Hope this helps :) take care.

singaporebaby likes this.
  5. indirabathu

indirabathu Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm Indira and used to be a silent reader of indusladies forums and it helped me lot in getting lots of information, now in need of help in finalizing the school between yuvbharathi and DPS. The reason why I shortlist only these two schools.
    1. Admissions in local school is over for the academic year 2016 to 2017.
    2. Also I came to know I has to put my kid one class lesser when comparing what we have in India.
    3. When looking for International schools every school charges more than 1200 per month except yubharathi and DPS.
    4. One of my friends kids are studying in DPS, they are happy about the education but when it comes to fees, they seems to be paying something extra every month apart from whay they see in the website as fees structure.
    5. When I calculated the fees including transport, It looks like I can save between $250 to $350 per month in yubharathi when compared to DPS.

Appreciate if any of you throw some lights on this, I have read few posts about the schools in this site but they seems to be older. Also I have not seen any post from those whose kids are placed in yuvabharathi (except one which is completely negative and couldn't believe few things from that)

1. Is yuvabharathi good in education and system?
    2. Which area is good for residence near yubharathi school (Area should have some shops close by fairprice or shengsiong etc, also some indian shops, guardian shop, temples)

Sorry for the big post and thanks a lot friends.

Cheers,
    Indira

6. Apple

Apple New IL'ite

Hi Indira,
    Did you manage to get admission in yuvabharathi...how is your experience.. My son is 2011, march 2nd born..I cannot find any reviews about yuvbharathi.. If you know, please share your experience

7. indirabathu

indirabathu Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    I have put my kids in DPS, because of the accessibility. I spoke to couple of parents form yuvabharathi they said its kind of ok, they don't have much to complaint at the same time its not excellent as well. I think DPS is better than Yuvabharathi.

8. Dhanyap

Dhanyap New IL'ite

9. Dhanyap

Dhanyap New IL'ite

Had you moved? Which school you selected and how it is going?

10. monica1984

monica1984 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    We ll moving to singapore shortly..like everyone we also are confused about school fr my daughter..any mom suggestion regarding DPS? And @indirabathu if the school website has certain amount why do we need to pay additional..can u plz elaborate like what charges? Pls
    How is hougang area & surroundings..if we enrol in DPS we ll opt fr hougang as its near by..anyone there? How much are u paying for full whole hdb unit!?
    Pls share ur suggestion girls!!thanks