Sabari Indian School near Century Mall, Dubai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Sharjah' started by Sanhiti, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Sanhiti

Sanhiti New IL'ite

Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on Sabari Indian School in Dubai.

We are looking for a KG2 admission for my son and urgently looking for some information on how good this school is.

I hear it is a pretty new school and am concerned if the school standard is good especially for Kindergarden and lower grades.

Thanks and appreciate your input!

2. Sanhiti

Sanhiti New IL'ite

Any response would be really helpful. We have to finalize on the school this week. Any idea, ladies??

I hear Sabari started during for 2013 academic year and hence am worried as it is quite new.

3. ZaiRai

ZaiRai Senior IL'ite

Hi Sanhiti, once you are here in Sharjah, which area do you plan to live? It's just that due to traffic issues between Sharjah and Dubai, those who study in Dubai have to go very early, sometimes before 6am. Other than that, if you opt for bus service, you'd have to live near the bus pick-up/drop off point. It can get terribly hot here during summer and it won't be good for small children exposed outdoors during that time. Even a little walk can be very exhausting. Hope that will help you decide which school you'll admit your son. All the best!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. Sanhiti

Sanhiti New IL'ite

Hi ZaiRai,

Thanks a lot for your response!

We will mostly be living close to Mega Mall as our work place is going to be there.
    The reason I am looking for a school in Dubai is because of the age limit imposed strictly in Sharjah schools. My son has to repeat KG if he were to join a school in Sharjah and I am not keen on doing it. All these schools have bus coming near Mega mall and I am still waiting for some details about the timings (~6.30am is what they say).

Thanks again for your input.

5. ZaiRai

ZaiRai Senior IL'ite

Hello Sanhiti, I see where you're coming from. I'm having this dilemma too - had been planning to transfer my KG2 to GEMS Millennium for Grade 2 , but she's only 5.11 on July 31st, exact one month short of 6 years old. If the school gives concession for transfer students, at least consider that she already had 2 years of schooling plus 1 month short for age required, then we'll go ahead and transfer her. If not, we plan to move her in a UK curriculum school this September so that her younger sister can also join her. She too, wasn't admitted in CBSE schools this coming school year as she's 3.4 on April only.

I don't want the elder child to repeat either, so until further info from Millennium school, she'll have to wait for a year again before we can move her. We wanted to move her mainly for better bus service as her present school's bus service had some issues.

So far I've read only good reviews about Sabari, so even if it's new, I think your child will like it there and thrive. In fact, if we transfer the kids too for Dubai schools, it is one of our choices.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Sanhiti

Sanhiti New IL'ite

Yeah...that was exactly my point too. I didn't want him to waste a year. My plan is also similar to yours; when he gets to grade 2, try to put him in a school in Sharjah. Hopefully that is feasible.

So which school does your kid go to now?

Also wondering if you have info on housing near mega mall. Preferably looking for a 3 bedroom apt or a spacious 2 bed one. Would you what the rents are like for 3br or 2 br? Also are there any new buildings there?

7. ZaiRai

ZaiRai Senior IL'ite

She attends India International in Mowaillah, Sharjah. There are plenty of apartments in Megamall but most would be 1 or 2 bedroms. For the current rates, you can check Real Estate & Property for Rent in Sharjah, UAE | Dubizzle Sharjah If there are new buildings in Al Mahatah / Al Qasimiya area where Megamall is I am not sure. Hope you get a good flat, and preferably having its own parking space for tenants. Not all apartments have that. Also, having central A/C, that way you don't have to buy and maintain your own. And that as much as possible, try to negotiate with the agent for multiple checks payment for the annual rent. Don't agree for 1 check, quarterly would be ideal.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. Sanhiti

Sanhiti New IL'ite

Thanks again, ZaiRai! I can't thank you enough for all the awesome info!

Sure, I'll check out Dubizzle. I hope we get a spacious and newer (if possible) apartment. Yep, centralized AC is a must on my list :) So which part of Sharjah do you stay? Since the bus comes so early, how do manage feeding your girl so early in the morning. Could you also tell me what you pack for her breakfast?

Here both my son and I are accustomed to 9am school schedule; so this is going to be a big adjustment. The other challenge (for me to be specific :)) will be the half a day school for KG since he is at school until 6pm here.

Also for getting a drivers license, would you mind telling me how long it takes to get one? I keep hearing scary stories of waiting for a year to obtain license. We have been thinking that the moment we come there, we will kick start the process.

Otherwise how do you like living in Sharjah? Where do you do your groceries, vegetables etc? I hear there is a Fruit/Vegetable market in Sharjah and Deira Dubai. Have you been there? Are they good? Any suggestions/tips of what I should get along with me.

9. ZaiRai

ZaiRai Senior IL'ite

Hi Sanhiti! Glad to help!

We stay in Maisaloon area, and it's very fortunate that our flat building is a pick up/drop point for several schools' buses. My girl is picked up 6:10 am, and for breakfast, she only likes plain bread, or with nutella (so finicky!). I pack her bread, or cookies, or cupcakes plus banana/apple/orange/grapes. Sometimes boiled corn, if there, or chapati if she asks. I only pack her dry snacks, to avoid messy accidents. Plus a bottle of water to drink.

As soon as you get the residence visa stamped to your passport, and you have your Emirates residence ID, you can apply for license through driving schools - you'll have some theory classes to pass, and classes depending on your how long you've been driving. Some other country licenses are given UAE driving license immediately. I can't really give a time frame when will you get a license, as that depends if you're required for some driving tests. Hahaha, as they say, some get lucky, some do not. I'll be having the first driving road test next month, LOL!

Sharjah is more quiet than the bustling Dubai. I had lived in both emirates, and so far I can say both got pros and cons. We do the groceries mostly in Carrefour or in Sharjah Co-op. Lulu sometimes, depending on what we wanted, and if the items we need are on sale in which store :rotfl I haven't been to the fruit/vegetable/fish market in both Dubai and Sharjah, as that would mean bringing the kids too who are unfortunately not patient enough to sit in the car while one parent does the shopping. Both lazy to walk too and prefers to be carried, and neither do they like sitting in the stroller. I've heard though that the items are quite good especially in the early mornings.

Some clothes you can bring when you come, and some food items too, as needed. If you're bringing medicines, you must have the prescription and the quantity should be reasonable. You can buy cooking pots and utensils here. Don't worry, you'll very likely get all you need here :p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Sanhiti

Sanhiti New IL'ite

Thanks ZaiRai! Hopefully we all get settled well in the new city. My main worry is only my son; hopefully he can adjust to the school here and starts making some friends at school.

Good luck with your driving tests..hope you get lucky and get your license soon :).

Have a nice weekend (I know it is weekend already there :)!